The Student Room Group

Dropping a subject

I've just started my AS-levels and i'm really struggling with german. i'm really nervous about the speaking assessments i will have to do in may as well - which i knew about before, but i just found out we only get 20mins preparation. i really don't want to do it now, and i am allowed to change subjects if it's in the next two weeks, but i am no good at anything else besides my other subjects (maths, art + RS). i don't know what to do??
Reply 1
Original post by elizad
I've just started my AS-levels and i'm really struggling with german. i'm really nervous about the speaking assessments i will have to do in may as well - which i knew about before, but i just found out we only get 20mins preparation. i really don't want to do it now, and i am allowed to change subjects if it's in the next two weeks, but i am no good at anything else besides my other subjects (maths, art + RS). i don't know what to do??

Pick an easy subject like ICT or History (my opinion) instead of german so you will have less stress later, I picked history as a 4th subject and concentrated on the other 3 and didn't revise at all for History.
Original post by elizad

Do you have to take four? Some of our students are doing an EPQ instead of a 4th.
Reply 3
Original post by Sayless
Pick an easy subject like ICT or History (my opinion) instead of german so you will have less stress later, I picked history as a 4th subject and concentrated on the other 3 and didn't revise at all for History.

that's helpful, but i don't actually have a gcse in history. i took geography..
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
Do you have to take four? Some of our students are doing an EPQ instead of a 4th.

yeah, i have to take four a-levels.
Original post by elizad
yeah, i have to take four a-levels.

What else is in the other block or do you have a free choice?
Reply 6
What else is in the other block or do you have a free choice?

im not 100% sure, i haven't spoken to anybody at college about it yet. my tutor is actually the german teacher, so i think she'll probably just try and talk me into continuing to take german.
Original post by elizad
im not 100% sure, i haven't spoken to anybody at college about it yet. my tutor is actually the german teacher, so i think she'll probably just try and talk me into continuing to take german.

If you're not confident about speaking then German might not be the best - what are your thoughts post school as your other A levels are quite diverse?
Reply 8
If you're not confident about speaking then German might not be the best - what are your thoughts post school as your other A levels are quite diverse?

I'm really not sure, i only took the subjects i liked at GCSE. i haven't really got any plans for the future.
Original post by elizad
I'm really not sure, i only took the subjects i liked at GCSE. i haven't really got any plans for the future.

Very sensible :smile:

What about English Language or Graphics or a Science?
Reply 10
Very sensible :smile:

What about English Language or Graphics or a Science?

i took foundation science so it's not my strong point, i didn't do graphics and english could be possible but it wasn't my favourite subject and i got a B in it in the end.
Original post by elizad
i took foundation science so it's not my strong point, i didn't do graphics and english could be possible but it wasn't my favourite subject and i got a B in it in the end.

OK - what other GCSEs did you do?

What about Psychology?
Reply 12
OK - what other GCSEs did you do?

What about Psychology?

maths, art, english lit + lang, science additional +core, german, geography, music + philosophy. psychology was actually the other one i was considering doing, so thanks for reminding me!
Original post by elizad
maths, art, english lit + lang, science additional +core, german, geography, music + philosophy. psychology was actually the other one i was considering doing, so thanks for reminding me!

How about geography?
Reply 14
Original post by Emma:-)
How about geography?

geography is a definite no, i was awful at it and only just passed. thats why its so difficult, I've literally got no other subjects I'm good at..
Original post by elizad
geography is a definite no, i was awful at it and only just passed. thats why its so difficult, I've literally got no other subjects I'm good at..

How about sociology?
I did it and loved it. I may be wrong, but i dont think you need to have done it at gcse to do it at a-level.
Reply 16
Original post by Emma:-)
How about sociology?
I did it and loved it. I may be wrong, but i dont think you need to have done it at gcse to do it at a-level.

yeah, thats a good idea. we didn't have it as a gcse so it's definitely possible, thank you!!

Quick Reply

Latest