The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Is Paedophilla always wrong? Should it be legalised?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Indeed I was, sorry, didn't make that clear in my initial reply.
Original post by BugzyMalone
Paedophillia is prevalent in the bible and occurs in Middle Eastern countries. Also we've become accepting of all sorts of bizarre sexual orientations- homosexuality, asexuality, necrophillia and beastiality. The fact these are all accepted as the norm these days in society raises a quietly controversial question- should our views on Paedophillia change?

Well, it often depends on the culture on what people find morally okay and what they find offensive, which quite often stimulates from what we can understand. Homosexuality and asexuality were not recognised as widely and were not understood and as a result treated as an abnormality which changed over years of awareness. Necrophilia is commonly associated as a mental illness due to the extremity of the act and is often only understood by people with the same desire. I suppose that's the same as paedophilia. But the difference is paedophilia goes further than that and in the same sense that bestiality harms animals it harms humans and can effect their physical and mental wellbeing. And in terms of it being seen as violent and cruel, It should stay illegal, regardless of understanding by the public.
Original post by Cherie Amour
What? Normally what is made illegal is something deemed wrong.

What? Do you understand what legal means? It means against the law...
Since when was pedophilia reduced to the mere attraction. If I am a bibliophile, it means I read books a lot because I like them a lot. "Phile" as a suffix means when someone enjoys it and partakes in it as a hobby. It's not just one thing/attraction and "end of."

Because that's what paedophilia is. Acting on the urges is where it goes down hill.

I was under the impression that -phile means having an attraction or fondness for something. Whether it also means engaging in it varies on the definition.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Law-Hopeful
But, as NYU2012 explained above, paedophilia itself (meaning 'sexual feelings towards children':wink: doesn't harm anyone.

I do agree with you, yes. I mean... people do have crazy thoughts sometimes but for me, when children are involved I think it's too much. I could never trust someone like that, what about when these 'thoughts' aren't good enough, and they take their 'thoughts' even further? You can't trust that they will only think about it now and then.

But yeah, someone can't be arrested for having thoughts obviously, I see what you're saying there.
Since when does someone have sexual thoughts and doesn't act on them at some point. Pedophilia is bad because it leads to sexual abuse of children. Otherwise pedophilia is simply theoretical and we all know it isn't.
Understand what "phile" is. You're defining the social use, not actual use.

You're being picky at the meaning of words now. Used in the real world "paedophile" simply means someone who experiences an attraction to children. It does not mean someone who abuses children. The term "child abuser" is one of several terms in our language to refer to people who abuse children.
Since when does someone have sexual thoughts and doesn't act on them at some point. Pedophilia is bad because it leads to sexual abuse of children. Otherwise pedophilia is simply theoretical and we all know it isn't.

You serious? I really don't want to bring homosexuality into this but you really have to think of the many homosexuals who will pretend to be heterosexual all their lives. The sexuality isn't a choice. Acting upon any sexuality is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Miss Amour, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this thread is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no reputation, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Original post by Reue
I agree. Being a paedophile doesn't make you a molester in the same way that being straight doesn't make you a rapist and so those who act on it should (rightly so) be treated criminally.

Original post by Keyhofi
Paedophilia is ok.
Child abuse is not.

I think people use the word "paedophile" for those who have molested because it doesn't contain a verb, it's more of a concept. Thinking of an adult abuing a child is upsetting and disgusting, so we're more comfortable using the vague term.

Paedophiles are normal people. They care about children like you or me. Most will never actually abuse a child as they know it is wrong.
Original post by Docjones1
What? Do you understand what legal means? It means against the law...

You have such an annoyingly angry tone. Do not be condescending. I know what it means. I said illegal is based on something that is deemed wrong, thus making it illegal.

Original post by Moonstruck16
Because that's what paedophilia is. Acting on the urges is where it goes down hill.

I was under the impression that -phile means having an attraction or fondness for somehing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not under impressions. Like you just did, I googled to be sure and it said enjoying it as a hobby.
Pedophilia isn't the sexual abuse of children and this whole question is flawed because pedophilia is already legal so you're as much a plonker as OP

I was on about pedos acting out their sick fantasies. Sooner or later they do eventually. Bye PLONKER No.2 :smile:
Original post by elliemayxo
I do agree with you, yes. I mean... people do have crazy thoughts sometimes but for me, when children are involved I think it's too much. I could never trust someone like that, what about when these 'thoughts' aren't good enough, and they take their 'thoughts' even further? You can't trust that they will only think about it now and then.

But yeah, someone can't be arrested for having thoughts obviously, I see what you're saying there.

I don't know about you, but I have 'crazy thoughts' ("god I want to punch him in the face":wink: etc a lot, but that doesn't translate into me actually being likely to go ahead and carry out my thoughts.

We can't criminalise thoughts etc, so paedophilia can't be criminalised anyway.

Say I regularly wish to punch random children in the face, but never act upon it. What makes a paedophile more dangerous to children than me (notwithstanding the difference between punching a child in the face and raping a child)?
(edited 8 years ago)
OP with the greatest respect are you retarded?
This is a thread discussing this issue before and it was under fierce debate. It may be of interest to people here.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3427185

It debates whether we should help paedophiles make the right choices in life, or if we should leave them to their own accord.
(edited 8 years ago)
Seeing as that's only one year outside of the AOC, isn't it a bit of a stretch to be saying ephebophilia in the same breath as paedophilia (I know it's not the same as paedophilia, I did read the difference between the two. I just can't think of an alternative way to phrase it)?

I'd certainly not call them "children", anyway.

NB: I know these aren't your definitions, this is just a general pondering on the terminology.

I'm not under impressions. Like you just did, I googled to be sure and it said enjoying it as a hobby.

Well, if you insist on quoting any random definition that suits your needs, I will too.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/-phile
Original post by Law-Hopeful
I don't know about you, but I have 'crazy thoughts' ("god I want to punch him in the face":wink: etc a lot, but that doesn't translate into me actually being likely to go ahead and carry out my thoughts.

We can't criminalise thoughts etc, so paedophilia can't be criminalised anyway.

Say I regularly wish to punch random children in the face, but never act upon it. What makes a paedophile more dangerous to children than me (notwithstanding the difference between punching a child in the face and raping a child)?

I think a punch in the face is alot different to sexual abuse, a punch is something that will damn hurt for a couple days, but in 10 years time you won't still be mentally and physically scarred from it, you see what i'm saying?.

Trust me, I'm a very open minded girl.. nothing usually freaks me out, but anything involving children, absolute no go. Vile.
It's just the same people saying the same things.

Original post by Keyhofi
You're being picky at the meaning of words now. Used in the real world "paedophile" simply means someone who experiences an attraction to children. It does not mean someone who abuses children. The term "child abuser" is one of several terms in our language to refer to people who abuse children.

You're funny. Molestation is abuse. Do you understand what sexual abuse is?

Original post by Moonstruck16
You serious? I really don't want to bring homosexuality into this but you really have to think of the many homosexuals who will pretend to be heterosexual all their lives. The sexuality isn't a choice. Acting upon any sexuality is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, I am serious. Stop equating pedophilia and homosexuality. I'm not going to get caught into a discussion on a completely irrelevant topic.

Original post by Keyhofi
Paedophiles are normal people. They care about children like you or me. Most will never actually abuse a child as they know it is wrong.

How did you become a spokesperson for all pedophiles? Unless you are one.

I didn't say pedophilia exclusively leads to abuse and no other factors. Pedophilia is the attraction to children, but if touching a child is abuse then pedophilia is bound to be abusive. You people want to create a new academic word for someone who touches children but last time I checked, that word was pedophile. You can't join a social forum and recreate meanings because some people agree.

Miss Amour, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this thread is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no reputation, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Worthless ad hominem checking in.

Latest