The Student Room Group

Exceeded my Cambridge offer, but missed my place (THANKS EDEXCEL)

Scroll to see replies

I thought my situation was unfortunate . I feel for you so much and it just proves how unreliable these exam markers are . I am glad to have finished public exams because it doesn't seem to be getting any better at all. The exam boards do not seem to realise that these are people's futures in their hands. F*** OCR, AQA and Edexcel! Not sure about the rest , but doubt they would be much better :angry:
Original post by L'Evil Fish

You should sue them for the amount required to fund your gap year!
Forget it.

Original post by elaras
*she
but thanks! My school is looking into it I think, but I might email tomorrow anyway. Are you sure they have to ?
I do understand how disappointed and angry about this you are, and with good reason. However, the issue here is that Cambridge were - and actually are - under no obligation whatsoever to do anything at all about this. Edexcel clearly have let you down here, but it's not Cambridge's fault that you weren't able to show that you had met their offer conditions by 31 August, which is the UCAS deadline for all university offers to be met. Some universities don't even honour that.

I would hope that in the circumstances Cambridge will make you a deferred offer, but if they decide not to and you have any intention of reapplying to them, I would suggest that you take this decision calmly (at least when talking to them :smile:) and don't burn any boats. Given those excellent grades, there will be many other choices for you to consider for a reapplication, with every prospect of success. Presumably you still have your place at your insurance university? If so, and you really don't want a gap year (though I would suggest you think carefully about this, as there can be many benefits even for an unplanned gap year) this remains an option.
Original post by Minerva
Forget it.

I do understand how disappointed and angry about this you are, and with good reason. However, the issue here is that Cambridge were - and actually are - under no obligation whatsoever to do anything at all about this. Edexcel clearly have let you down here, but it's not Cambridge's fault that you weren't able to show that you had met their offer conditions by 31 August, which is the UCAS deadline for all university offers to be met. Some universities don't even honour that.

I would hope that in the circumstances Cambridge will make you a deferred offer, but if they decide not to and you have any intention of reapplying to them, I would suggest that you take this decision calmly (at least when talking to them :smile:) and don't burn any boats. Given those excellent grades, there will be many other choices for you to consider for a reapplication, with every prospect of success. Presumably you still have your place at your insurance university? If so, and you really don't want a gap year (though I would suggest you think carefully about this, as there can be many benefits even for an unplanned gap year) this remains an option.

I was joking about the suing, but not about the deferred entry being a guarantee.
I was joking about the suing, but not about the deferred entry being a guarantee.
As PQ has already pointed out, Cambridge are not obliged to offer the OP a deferred place. We all hope they will, but they cannot be forced to do so.
Reply 44
Wow!!!!!!! OP i am so angry for you LOL, seriously I would sue edexcel wtf!!!
Reply 45
Original post by Minerva
Forget it.

Thanks everyone!
After (my disappointing) results day, I've managed to get a place at UChicago for next year. I'd applied earlier in the year, but turned it down for Cambridge. It might end up being better anyway - graduating debt free, and on top of that I have a merit scholarship for holidays (for funding independent research/internships/relevent travel).
Original post by elaras
Thanks everyone!
After (my disappointing) results day, I've managed to get a place at UChicago for next year. I'd applied earlier in the year, but turned it down for Cambridge. It might end up being better anyway - graduating debt free, and on top of that I have a merit scholarship for holidays (for funding independent research/internships/relevent travel).

Haha, congratulations on your place at the University of Chicago! I hope I'm not being too nosy, but how come you'd graduate debt-free from an American university? :colondollar:
Reply 47
Original post by Hydeman
Haha, congratulations on your place at the University of Chicago! I hope I'm not being too nosy, but how come you'd graduate debt-free from an American university? :colondollar:

I qualify based on family income for quite a substantial amount of needs based help! American unis often work out cheaper than a lot of people expect - especially a lot of the top private ones. It helps I have US citizenship (on a technicality of birth, never having lived there), but many also operate 'needs blind' or 'full needs met' for internationals as well.
Original post by elaras
I qualify based on family income for quite a substantial amount of needs based help! American unis often work out cheaper than a lot of people expect - especially a lot of the top private ones. It helps I have US citizenship (on a technicality of birth, never having lived there), but many also operate 'needs blind' or 'full needs met' for internationals as well.

Nice one! Hope you have a great time there. :smile:

P.S. Dual citizenship is so cool. :biggrin:
Original post by elaras
Thanks everyone!
Sounds like a most acceptable alternative to me :biggrin:
Original post by Minerva
As PQ has already pointed out, Cambridge are not obliged to offer the OP a deferred place. We all hope they will, but they cannot be forced to do so.

But they've said they would.

In the letters I'd received from them with regards to meeting my offer it said before 31st is guaranteed that year and afterwards they'd do it for deferred if they can't accommodate the same year.

I know there's no legal obligation to, but it's what has been said I'm sure
Original post by elaras

Now that sounds an awesome plan instead tbh. I wish I could study in America :lol: hopefully can do an exchange with MIT
But they've said they would.

In the letters I'd received from them with regards to meeting my offer it said before 31st is guaranteed that year and afterwards they'd do it for deferred if they can't accommodate the same year.

I know there's no legal obligation to, but it's what has been said I'm sure
To you, by your college - it's unlikely that the OP would have posted in the terms she did if the letters she received from her college had said similar things. Anyway, it seems as though other plans have been made now.
Now that sounds an awesome plan instead tbh. I wish I could study in America :lol: hopefully can do an exchange with MIT

I think there is a Cambridge-MIT exchange programme. I'm not sure how it works though. I remember reading about it on MIT's website.
Original post by Hydeman
I think there is a Cambridge-MIT exchange programme. I'm not sure how it works though. I remember reading about it on MIT's website.

Yeah there is, not sure which subjects specifically in science though, will find out for sure
Yeah there is, not sure which subjects specifically in science though, will find out for sure

My friend did the exchange for engineering, and I know someone did it for Chemistry. But I don't know if they still do them, as last I heard they were cutting the number of places because it was expensive to run.
Original post by strangesquark
My friend did the exchange for engineering, and I know someone did it for Chemistry. But I don't know if they still do them, as last I heard they were cutting the number of places because it was expensive to run.

Chemistry? Sweet. That's what I'd go into as of now

Chemical Engineering is the other thing I might do

Damn :frown: hopefully not...
Chemistry? Sweet. That's what I'd go into as of now

Chemical Engineering is the other thing I might do

Damn :frown: hopefully not...

I found this article, which doesn't sound promising. The girl mentioned was in my year, so i guess my info is out of date now!

http://thetech.com/news/52556/cme-v131-n23
Original post by strangesquark
I found this article, which doesn't sound promising. The girl mentioned was in my year, so i guess my info is out of date now!

http://thetech.com/news/52556/cme-v131-n23

In my interview, he said they still do have a chance to send some. Hope he wasn't fiddling the truth

How much do you think it would cost to fund myself?
Reply 59
In my interview, he said they still do have a chance to send some. Hope he wasn't fiddling the truth

How much do you think it would cost to fund myself?

$60k+ for a year at MIT...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending