The Student Room Group

Should I take A2 chemistry or sociology??

Hi, Im confused about what subject to take for A2. For AS level I took biology, chemistry, geography and sociology. I got a A in biol, a B in geography, a B in sociology and a C in chemistry. I definitely want to take biology and geography , but Im not sure if I should drop chemistry or sociology?I want to do biology at university and most universities say they prefer you to have an A level in chemistry aswell, but I think I may go down to a D in chemistry but im pretty sure I could get a B or even an A in sociology at the end of A2 but sociology doesnt look so good. SO is it better to have a bad/okay grade in chem or a good grade in soc for uni?? Thank you!
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Original post by Sarah_x_
Hi, Im confused about what subject to take for A2. For AS level I took biology, chemistry, geography and sociology. I got a A in biol, a B in geography, a B in sociology and a C in chemistry. I definitely want to take biology and geography , but Im not sure if I should drop chemistry or sociology?I want to do biology at university and most universities say they prefer you to have an A level in chemistry aswell, but I think I may go down to a D in chemistry but im pretty sure I could get a B or even an A in sociology at the end of A2 but sociology doesnt look so good. SO is it better to have a bad/okay grade in chem or a good grade in soc for uni?? Thank you!

Probably a worse grade in chemistry because all universities respect it as a tough subject. Your grades in the other subjects are good and if you want to study biology at uni then you'd be put at an advantage having chemistry too. Re-take the chemistry AS papers and work hard to get decent grades in your A2 papers. Even if you end up with a B or C overall, that's a good grade in chemistry :smile:
Original post by smiley180
Probably a worse grade in chemistry because all universities respect it as a tough subject. Your grades in the other subjects are good and if you want to study biology at uni then you'd be put at an advantage having chemistry too. Re-take the chemistry AS papers and work hard to get decent grades in your A2 papers. Even if you end up with a B or C overall, that's a good grade in chemistry :smile:

No if he gets a C or D in it then he won't get in. If he gets a B or an A then he will get it with Sociology because he already has two facilitating subjects
Original post by Magnus Taylor
No if he gets a C or D in it then he won't get in. If he gets a B or an A then he will get it with Sociology because he already has two facilitating subjects

Yes, but I figured that if the op worked very hard it would be quite difficult to achieve less than a C. I achieved a C at AS and am re-taking the papers and hope to get an A at A2 as I know how hard I'm going to work. If the op finds chemistry very difficult even with working hard, then yes, taking sociology would be better.

Quick Reply

Latest