The Student Room Group

Britain to open the doors to 20,000 Syrians

I wan't to know everyone's view on this
Do you think it is the most humane thing to do?
The UK had in the past supported president Assad by funding him in his rise to power
Is foreign intervention the reason for the Arab spring
Why are extremely economical countries with extremely wealthy individuals e.g. in Libya or Syria falling
I want to know if you would open your door to a refugee
Or do you think that they should be branded as migrants instead?

Scroll to see replies

Not to many, not to few I'm satisfied.
As long as they're scattered throughout the country, like, one family (as in parents+kids) per town. We don't want horrid little ghettos to form.
This is what Germany should be doing: plucking them straight from the refugee camps round Syria.
Original post by Skip_Snip
As long as they're scattered throughout the country, like, one family (as in parents+kids) per town. We don't want horrid little ghettos to form.

agreed, we have to remember that these people although refugees come from a very different culture to ours, and so if they are going to come here we must make sure that there values are submissive to British values.
Reply 5
No I wouldn't want a refugee living in my house.

Apart from anything else if they were Muslim they may well disapprove of my sex life not to mention my au pairs' provocative dress senses.

No it's not the most humane thing we could do.Clearly accepting a higher number would be more humane.

Personally,I think trying to ascribe blame for political events is not helpful.

Some 'refugees' may well be migrants.

This will be true however we label them.

No idea about why a particular country falls at a particular time.If political leaders knew that then one presumes they would simply avoid the very factors and/or circumstances that caused those falls.:wink:

Cheers
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by moggis

I don't think anyone actually expects people to have the migrants in their houses.

Rich people with multiple houses might be hounded into renting them out or putting the migrants up in them, but they can't be forced.
Reply 7

Why would ghettos form?
These people are well educated and will be able to take on roles such as doctors, lawyers and engineers
lol they'll probably increase University entry requirements too so they may not form a ghetto but may just do the jobs some Brits aren't cut out to do
Reply 8
I don't think anyone actually expects people to have the migrants in their houses.

Rich people with multiple houses might be hounded into renting them out or putting the migrants up in them, but they can't be forced.

My uncle is a property developer and I know he will be extremely happy to accommodate as many refugees as possible
I wouldn't mind lending our spare rooms either in order for a child to have a comfortable bed
Original post by NK18444
Why would ghettos form?
These people are well educated and will be able to take on roles such as doctors, lawyers and engineers

Because other muslim migration has done so.
Source?

Original post by NK18444
My uncle is a property developer and I know he will be extremely happy to accommodate as many refugees as possible
I wouldn't mind lending our spare rooms either in order for a child to have a comfortable bed

Good for you.
Reply 10
Original post by moggis

Apart from anything else if they were Muslim they may well disapprove of my sex life not to mention my au pairs' provocative dress senses.

No it's not the most humane thing we could do.Clearly accepting a higher number would be more humane.

Personally,I think trying to ascribe blame for political events is not helpful.

Some 'refugees' may well be migrants.

This will be true however we label them.

No idea about why a particular country falls at a particular time.If political leaders knew that then one presumes they would simply avoid the very factors and/or circumstances that caused those falls.:wink:

Cheers

Hahaha I don't think they would approve of your acts of expression to your partner also!
I think that the Wests intervention promoting the rise of the likes of president Assad and Gaddafi weren't particularly helpful for anyone. the UK shot themselves in the foot but then again I guess they have an excuse to invade the east now.
Why would we label them. I truly hope I've not been labelled in my existence.
I'm happy some people are being let in, but only refugees, only real refugees who have no place else to go and are desperate. It isn't fair, at a time like this, for migrants who simply want to move countries to take their place. I think they should be scattered throughout the country so that they have to assimilate into our culture otherwise it isn't fair on the people who already live here, and they should be encouraged to find jobs and do what they can to educate their kids. This shouldn't be a Britain problem however, all the countries who can should be helping as were are a tiny island with only so many resources.
Reply 12

Hahah so you're a ukipper
Who the heck listens to Farage
What muslim ghettos in Birmingham?
Have you ever set foot in these so called ghettos?
And by the way Daily mail is no proof lol
I can't believe you just linked that garbage as proof
The only proof daily mail can provide is that they're obsessed with Kim Kardashians inflated backside
Hahaha DAILY MAIL!!
Reply 13

Could I ask if you use a smartphone/tablet/computer by any chance?
The brand too
Original post by NK18444
Hahah so you're a ukipper
Who the heck listens to Farage
What muslim ghettos in Birmingham?
Have you ever set foot in these so called ghettos?
And by the way Daily mail is no proof lol
I can't believe you just linked that garbage as proof
The only proof daily mail can provide is that they're obsessed with Kim Kardashians inflated backside
Hahaha DAILY MAIL!!

Given how much you know about sources, do you have one for your claim that the refugees will be highly educated?
Original post by NK18444
Could I ask if you use a smartphone/tablet/computer by any chance?
The brand too

No. I send my comments to TSR HQ on a postcard, they transcribe it.
Reply 15
most will probably end up in birmingham ffs

once the 20,000 come then expect a further 30,000 as they will demand that the families come to Britain too
Reply 16
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/refugee-crisis-steve-jobs-was-a-syrian-migrants-child-too-tech-community-observes-10489651.html
Given how much you know about sources, do you have one for your claim that the refugees will be highly educated?

No. I send my comments to TSR HQ on a postcard, they transcribe it.

Well I love that you take pride in your handwritten sentiments it seems like the only good quality in you lol
Well I think the independent is a little more factual than the Kim Kardashian air heads down at Daily Mail
So why not use the best example I can and give you the 400th richest man
Enjoy

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/refugee-crisis-steve-jobs-was-a-syrian-migrants-child-too-tech-community-observes-10489651.html
I'm opening my house and my heart to these destitute people. They deserve so much better than the life they're living right now.

Steve Jobs was adopted in San Fran, how does that relate to the lives of people who've always lived in Syria? That's like saying all of the refugees will be terrorists, because some will be.
Original post by queen-bee
I'm opening my house and my heart to these destitute people. They deserve so much better than the life they're living right now.

No-one "deserves" anything.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending