The Student Room Group

Do I stand a chance for Economics?

Tad bit concerned that maybe I won't be completely up to par for such a competitive course. Additionally to make matters worse, I am yet to have done any sort of exam practice for the interview tests that they have as I have only now considered the possibility of applying there.
My UMS is
Maths - 89%
Computing - 89%
Economics - 88%
Chemistry - 86%
I am taking Maths, Computing and Economics for A-level.
1. Should I bother applying with that sort of UMS and no further-maths?
2. Would I be greatly disadvantaged at this point for not having done any preparation for the Cambridge application process (apart from the personal statement which I have done but that is standard for any uni).
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
PS: Be as honest as you like. If it isn't worth it then it would be good to know. Thanks.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Those ums are a bit on the low side for cambridge. Also is it possible to take further maths? I would say you have a great chance at all other top unis for economics except Cambridge and LSE.

Good luck!
Original post by Buses
Those ums are a bit on the low side for cambridge. Also is it possible to take further maths? I would say you have a great chance at all other top unis for economics except Cambridge and LSE.

Good luck!

I don't know whether or not it is possible, but my fear would be that taking further maths now alongside my A2's could possibly jeopardize my other results and stop me from getting the grades even if I actually got the offer as I may be spread too thin. On an additional note, do Cambridge want A*AA in any subject or does the A* have to be in maths (like it is for LSE, UCL and Warwick)?
Thanks by the way.
Reply 3
Original post by OrionMusicNet
I don't know whether or not it is possible, but my fear would be that taking further maths now alongside my A2's could possibly jeopardize my other results and stop me from getting the grades even if I actually got the offer as I may be spread too thin. On an additional note, do Cambridge want A*AA in any subject or does the A* have to be in maths (like it is for LSE, UCL and Warwick)?
Thanks by the way.

Btw I have to say you have a very strong chance for UCL and Warwick for these reasons: UCL and Warwick don't really like (or 'encourage' ) further maths. I know a number of people at UCL/Warwick Economics starting 2015 and they all don't have further maths. Also UCL and Warwick look at ums but if they are on average strong As (85+) then you have a good shot. You would make the perfect strong candidate for UCL and warwick, and you managed AAAA at AS-Level. (Not a lot of people managed that this year). Get predicted atleast A*AA -A*A*A and you will be on track for a UCL/Warwick offer ceteris paribus.

Now for you question regarding Cambridge and their A* requirement. I have no idea but I guess it should be A* in Maths.
(edited 8 years ago)
Tad bit concerned that maybe I won't be completely up to par for such a competitive course. Additionally to make matters worse, I am yet to have done any sort of exam practice for those interview tests that they have as I have only now considered the possibility of applying there.
My UMS is
Maths - 89%
Computing - 89%
Economics - 88%
Chemistry - 86%
I am taking Maths, Computing and Economics for A-level.
1. Should I bother applying with that sort of UMS and no further-maths?
2. Would I be greatly disadvantaged at this point for not having done any preparation for the Cambridge application process (apart from the personal statement which I have done but that is standard for any uni.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
PS: Be as honest as you like. If it isn't worth it then it would be good to know. Thanks.

You'll probably get an interview but your UMS are not as strong as the most typical of successful candidates. Also lack of further maths on top of that is a disadvantage. So you'll really need to perform very well in interview to compensate for those. Stellar PS/SAQ/reference may help you to some extent.

If you think taking up FM will overstretch you too much, that's a bit worrying, too, as workload at Cambridge is nothing like you've experienced before.

Regarding if they'd specify which subject they want A* in, it'd depend on a candudate, but in your case (if you get an offer) I think there's a fair chance they will because, with a lack of FM and not the strongest UMS in AS maths, they'd probably want a proof that your maths ability is solid.

You can have 5 choices on UCAS application, so you can include Cambridge as one of them and see what happens. Some people have been accepted with similar UMS as yours, so you may be if other aspects of your application, including interview/test, are really good.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Buses
Btw I have to say you have a very strong chance for UCL and Warwick for these reasons: UCL and Warwick don't really like (or 'encourage' ) further maths. I know a number of people at UCL/Warwick Economics starting 2015 and they all don't have further maths. Also UCL and Warwick look at ums but if they are on average strong As (85+) then you have a good shot. You would make the perfect strong candidate for UCL and warwick, and you managed AAAA at AS-Level. (Not a lot of people managed that this year). Get predicted atleast A*AA -A*A*A and you will be on track for a UCL/Warwick offer ceteris paribus.

Now for you question regarding Cambridge and their A* requirement. I have no idea but I guess it should be A* in Maths.

Thanks a lot. As you seem to know your stuff, I am curious to hear your opinion on whether or not I should take 'Economics and Economics History' from LSE (AAB) or straight Economics from UCL or Warwick (assuming I get the offers)? Just curious because I plan to firm LSE (assuming I don't apply for Cambridge) but I am slightly concerned about throwing away an offer from UCL and/or Warwick, so knowing the value of straight Economics at those unis over LSE would be helpful. Thanks a lot, again :smile:
Original post by vincrows
You'll probably get an interview but your UMS are not as strong as the most typical of successful candidates. Also lack of further maths on top of that is a disadvantage. So you'll really need to perform very well in interview to compensate for those. Stellar PS/SAQ/reference may help you to some extent.

If you think taking up FM will overstretch you too much, that's a bit worrying, too, as workload at Cambridge is nothing like you've experienced before.

Regarding if they'd specify which subject they want A* in, it'd depend on a candudate, but in your case (if you get an offer) I think there's a fair chance they will because, with a lack of FM and not the strongest UMS in AS maths, they'd probably want a proof that your maths ability is solid.

You can have 5 choices on UCAS application, so you can include Cambridge as one of them and see what happens. Some people have been accepted with similar UMS as yours, so you may be if other aspects of your application, including interview/test, are really good.

Thanks for being honest. In terms of FM overstretching me, its not so much the case that I don't think I could handle it but more so I wouldn't want to take any extra risk that could stop me getting into uni. Typically I am a risk-averse person and so I wouldn't want to make a decision that I would possibly regret because if I didn't get an offer from Cambridge, my Further Maths AS would just be leeching my time (none of my other uni choices need it).
Thanks for being honest. In terms of FM overstretching me, its not so much the case that I don't think I could handle it but more so I wouldn't want to take any extra risk that could stop me getting into uni. Typically I am a risk-averse person and so I wouldn't want to make a decision that I would possibly regret because if I didn't get an offer from Cambridge, my Further Maths AS would just be leeching my time (none of my other uni choices need it).

Ok that's understandable. I'll still stand with what I've just said about applying. It's just one of five choices.

In regard to what you asked the other poster, my advice would be, as always to any applicants, 'Choose a course because you like it, not because of the name of uni'.
If you're choosing LSE's Econ and Econ History only because it's easier to get in than their pure Econimics, I don't think it's a good idea.
Original post by vincrows
Ok that's understandable. I'll still stand with what I've just said about applying. It's just one of five choices.

In regard to what you asked the other poster, my advice would be, as always to any applicants, 'Choose a course because you like it, not because of the name of uni'.
If you're choosing LSE's Econ and Econ History only because it's easier to get in than their pure Econimics, I don't think it's a good idea.

Thanks, and no, for LSE I do actually like the course but I just want to make sure that sacrificing Economics (A slightly more respected course) at two other top unis isn't a foolish decision or anything like that. Thanks for all your advice by the way.
Reply 9
Original post by Buses

UCL & Warwick also request UMS now?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending