The Student Room Group

Change in course choice due to AS results - HELP!

Hello all,

After getting my exam results this summer (Biology B Chemistry B Computer Science B Maths C and Gen Studs A), my course choice which was originally dentistry needs to change. Having spoken to my teachers they and I do not believe that I will be secure enough in getting 3 A's at A2 to warrant applying for Dentistry which requires 3AS. The one thing I want to avoid is coming to results day and having no university offers at all, which is one of the reasons I think I need to change my course choice. Although I will be getting predicted 3 A's, it is highly likely I will achieve 2 A's and a B (in Chemistry Biology and Computer Science). My question to you guys is, what sort of degrees would you suggest would be a good fit for myself with these A-Levels? I have done some research and found a degree in Bio-computing at Newcastle University which really excites me, however I can find no other Universities offering this course in the UK, which means I would have to apply for four other related course. Computer Science alone is out of the window as I have dropped maths. Biochemistry is something else that interests me, and so my other question is, what sort of careers can a degree in Biochemistry lead to? This message is a little bit long I apologise for that but any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Reply 1
You can literally do every course/degree with those A levels apart from 1-2. Also, computer science dosen't always require Maths at most Uni's anyway and you have an AS in it still so this is no problem. I think you can do pretty much everything still and go through science pathway or consider something like economics/accounting and Finance.

Also, can I ask about general studies and any tips with it as I'm going to be picking up the whole A level alongside my A2 and really need a C at least :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by alexp98
You can literally do every course/degree with those A levels apart from 1-2. Also, computer science dosen't always require Maths at most Uni's anyway and you have an AS in it still so this is no problem. I think you can do pretty much everything still and go through science pathway or consider something like economics/accounting and Finance.

Also, can I ask about general studies and any tips with it as I'm going to be picking up the whole A level alongside my A2 and really need a C at least :smile:

Hey alex I did AS general studies last year and scored 198/200 UMS with no revision whatsoever and only a basic english knowledge of how to structure essay style responses. My advice to you would just to have a well rounded knowledge when it comes to anything political or social which is in the news right now, consider points even if they aren't ones you would generally write. Also, remember that for the A2 unit pre release material is available before the exam which can give you an area for more focussed research, but honestly General Studies is not an exam which you need to worry about too much, as long as you have a fair amount of common sense and remember to evaluate all your points you will do well.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by matthewcrown
Hey alex I did AS general studies last year and scored 198/200 UMS with no revision whatsoever and only a basic english knowledge of how to structure essay style responses. My advice to you would just to have a well rounded knowledge when it comes to anything political or social which is in the news right now, consider points even if they aren't ones you would generally write. Also, remember that for the A2 unit pre release material is available before the exam which can give you an area for more focussed research, but honestly General Studies is not an exam which you need to worry about too much, as long as you have a fair amount of common sense and remember to evaluate all your points you will do well.

Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending