The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Is Paedophilla always wrong? Should it be legalised?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JD1lla
People should google virped.

Give it a read, it's quite an interesting perspective on this topic......

I googled. I remember there was this interview on TV with this guy who said he was a pedophile and he wanted to seek help and that its hard because there isnt much support out there and people think that he is a child molester etc but he would never abuse children and knows its wrong.
Original post by law-hopeful
and you clearly possess neither.

howling. My tears have landed on the keyboard.
Reply 142
Original post by driftawaay
I googled. I remember there was this interview on TV with this guy who said he was a pedophile and he wanted to seek help and that its hard because there isnt much support out there and people think that he is a child molester etc but he would never abuse children and knows its wrong.

there is hope I guess.

my gut feeling is that these guys are an absolute minority though..men suppressing sexual urges? surely not?!
Reply 143
There is a difference between paedophilia and child sexual abuse; most importantly, the former is a mental condition for which there exist no laws which prohibit it whatsoever, whilst the latter is a heinous sex crime which is generally considered to be among the worst crimes possible for a person to commit.
howling. My tears have landed on the keyboard.

Howling? That sounds like a realistic character trait for you.
Reply 145
Original post by VannR
There is a difference between paedophilia and child sexual abuse; most importantly, the former is a mental condition for which there exist no laws which prohibit it whatsoever, whilst the latter is a heinous sex crime which is generally considered to be among the worst crimes possible for a person to commit.

It's also interesting to note that child abusers/child molesters might have absolutely no sexual preference to children. Infact, according to Wikipedia, most are not pedophiles at all!
Reply 146
Original post by Cherie Amour
You have such an annoyingly angry tone. Do not be condescending. I know what it means. I said illegal is based on something that is deemed wrong, thus making it illegal.

Are you being deliberately stupid?

Before you rage, was my comment calling you stupid "wrong"? Was it "illegal"? Case closed.

'Howling' is not a character trait. You really do lack that Phd and common sense as well. :frown:
Reply 148
'Howling' is not a character trait. You really do lack that Phd and common sense as well. :frown:

so much ag in this thread :frown:
Original post by VannR

If one takes the term "child sex abuse" to mean physical acts against a victim such as sexual assault or rape of a child, there is another category of non-"physical" actions of a paedophile such as viewing indecent material of children. Perhaps discussing the moral reprehensibility of such action would have been a more productive use of everyone's time, but instead the discussion was lead by emotional people who couldn't see past the title and trolls, and also was directed at the number of degrees NYU2012 has (which was illuminating).
Original post by drowzee
Paedophilia is not illegal as you cannot criminalise thoughts and desires, unless 1984 becomes a reality. Acting upon such desires is disgusting and should stay illegal, but I do think more needs to be done to help people that are have these thoughts and desires because it is a mental disorder, society would be safer for children if these people would get treatment.
I find it hard getting past the idea anyone would have any sort of sexual desires towards children.

/thread
I agree 100%
People are just getting confused and worked up over nothing.

Why are you still here? You're doing a pretty bad job of ignoring the thread that is offending you so much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by elliemayxo
I cried

Lol.
Original post by Borgia
Lol.

"Lol"? if you read the reports and the statements then there would be no "lol" people like you are horrific.
"Lol"? if you read the reports and the statements then there would be no "lol" people like you are horrific.

Hope this clears the entire thread up :smile:
It's what @Law-Hopeful has been trying to explain all along.

Who is David Watkins?
It's absolutely vile, and anybody who thinks different must have a few issues themselves.

The Ian Watkins case is something that I will never be able to get out of my head, I read the report on it and I wish I could erase it from my mind. Absolutely terrible, I cried when I read about what he done to those poor little babies. How can anybody physically or mentally hurt someone so little and innocent... I just can't even begin to understand. This thread annoys me hugely.

Well the thread is about what if Ian Watkins struggled for his whole life with his attraction to kids but never succumbed to it. Ought he to have been vilified for having the attraction or helped to deal with it?

Tbh Ian Watkins is kind of a bad example because as far as I can see it wasn't about having a sexual attraction to babies as such but more like a sort of psychopathic power trip thing. But your average paedo especially one who goes for pubescent girls is quite unlikely to be like Ian Watkins imo. If say 1% of rhe population is capable of being a psychopathic murdering rapist then surely 1% of paedophiles are capable of that too.
Reply 157
Original post by mr.purplelambkin

I understand all these concerns that paedophiles might one day end up abusing the kid they're into, but let's be adults about this shall we? If an adult loves an under 11 romantically, then by definition they should want to protect and satisfy said child as well as themselves, and at the same time they should be aware groping/sexual assaults are illegal in this country. Paedophilia is something that occurs to people naturally, like homosexualiy, and does not make somebody a raving lunatic. Therefore, by that logic, there should be straight up men/women who the child would be safe with, despite being paedophiles. In fact, one of the most common and more pressing problem children face is domestic violence. If you really want to save more children, rather than trying to demonize every single paedophile out there, save the kids from their parents first, please.

You are wrong. Paedophilia is a mental illness while homosexuality manifestedly isn't. Romance has no place in adult-child relationships.

I agree that child abuse in general is a pressing concern, that includes both domestic violence and molestation.

Not sure what you are trying to say with regards to domestic violence being more pressing, the law addresses specifically sexual abuse and that is at least as important. If you think there is a knee-jerk reaction to paedophilia, that is because the mental health aspect is not well represented in the media (I was not even sure it existed), so all people know is the criminal aspect.
Original post by StrawbAri
/thread
I agree 100%
People are just getting confused and worked up over nothing.

No... liking children is not a sexual orientation. There are only 1-2 sexual irientations and the rest are false. A paedophile is an adult who HAS acted on a child in a sexual way. What this 'nature' argument does is attempt to covertly legitimise paedophilia as some kind of mental illness or sexual orientation when it is simply just a criminal and nasty act.

Everybody trying to dilute the term 'paedophile' are only helping to weaken the sentiment and charge people feel when they hear of kiddie fiddling. It only makes paedophiles become the victims of their own nature- like homosexuals in the 1700s. Pity should not be afforded to them.
Original post by BugzyMalone
Paedophillia is prevalent in the bible and occurs in Middle Eastern countries. Also we've become accepting of all sorts of bizarre sexual orientations- homosexuality, asexuality, necrophillia and beastiality. The fact these are all accepted as the norm these days in society raises a quietly controversial question- should our views on Paedophillia change?

I agree but I still think society is too bigoted to accept it. We'll get there one day though.

Latest