The Student Room Group

Britain to open the doors to 20,000 Syrians

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NK18444
My uncle is a property developer and I know he will be extremely happy to accommodate as many refugees as possible
I wouldn't mind lending our spare rooms either in order for a child to have a comfortable bed

Is he willing to pay for their living expenses and medical costs as well.

Oh wait, that falls upon the UK taxpayer.
Original post by Skip_Snip
No-one "deserves" anything.

When you've lived the life they have,you will have a right to comment on what they do and don't deserve but until then continue living this in paradise
I don't why we should complain about 20000 when Germany will most likely take 1 million. And their economy is not as strong as ours.
Reply 23
Steve Jobs was adopted in San Fran, how does that relate to the lives of people who've always lived in Syria? That's like saying all of the refugees will be terrorists, because some will be.

Steve Jobs was still the son of a migrant and surprisingly didn't join a gang, run to a terrorist organisation or live in a ghetto!
I am a Muslim and I live in a non ghetto place and I have friends that don't go around being shady. My family work respectively for a living like many other Muslim families in the UK. We are not part of the mafia believe it or not. Nor are any of my Muslim friends or family.
My best friend is Syrian her dad is a lecturer at our Russel group Uni and her brother is a doctor in London working for the NHS so sorry to disappoint but YOU AND FARAGE need to do a better job at blaming mass immigration for the reason for ghettos and thugs like the English defense league and understand the current man in power- David Cameron labelled him an "idiot" for uttering such baloney and for supporting some US fella sat in Colorado having a hot dog claiming Birmingham was totally Muslim.
I'm happy that it isn't a higher amount and the plan is for the aid relief to be spent on them so that it won't cause an immediate cost.. but I am conscious that it isn't the high amount that might have be expected of our country. I didn't vote conservatives but in a way I am glad that it is a conservative government dealing with this situation as I think they will be sensible about it.
I wouldn't open my house to a refugee, but I wouldn't open my house to a British stranger either! Overall I'm glad we are taking people in and glad that there has been a positive response in terms of donations (food clothes etc).
This is just my thoughts - I'm not politically minded so if anyone wants to get into a debate about conservatives vs labour I'm not interested :smile: I just wanted to express my views of the current situation as of today
Original post by NK18444
Steve Jobs was still the son of a migrant and surprisingly didn't join a gang, run to a terrorist organisation or live in a ghetto!

No. He was raised by American parents. In America.

I am a Muslim and I live in a non ghetto place and I have friends that don't go around being shady. My family work respectively for a living like many other Muslim families in the UK. We are not part of the mafia believe it or not. Nor are any of my Muslim friends or family.

Cool.

My best friend is Syrian her dad is a lecturer at our Russel group Uni and her brother is a doctor in London working for the NHS

Cool.

None of that means the people coming now from Syria will be educated.
Reply 26
Original post by Fango_Jett
Is he willing to pay for their living expenses and medical costs as well.

Oh wait, that falls upon the UK taxpayer.

Listen Fango-
After their refugee status they will apply for citizenship and when receiving it they will work just as hard as us Brits and pay their way like everyone else.
Like other migrants who have settled here the young Syrian generation will take full advantage of the British education system (which unfortunately us Brits take for granted) and eventually be the Doctors, Nurses, Lawyers giving back to the UK which I think is great.
Don't you?
Reply 27
As long as they're scattered throughout the country, like, one family (as in parents+kids) per town. We don't want horrid little ghettos to form.

I hope they all move near to where you live.
Original post by HAnwar
I hope they all move near to where you live.

Bit of a harsh thing to wish on someone!
Reply 29
No. He was raised by American parents. In America.

Cool.

Cool.

None of that means the people coming now from Syria will be educated.

Well as they won't take the British educational system for granted like most "original" English folk they will end up going further than others.
Well it comes across as your quite the lap dog for America then
Then again if you're a ukipper Farage won't approve of you praising Americans
He thinks that a small island like the UK is strong enough to cut ties with all non british mudbloods
Nige might read your comments and come to whack you across the head with a very British stick and make you wet the bed at night
What can I say he's a dodgy guy
Reply 30
Bit of a harsh thing to wish on someone!

Maybe you'll be the one to have to migrate then mate
Maybe back to the 1300's
Look on the bright side at least they'd match your narrow minded ways
BROWN/BLACK PEOPLE/MUSLIMS=GHETTO
Original post by NK18444
Well as they won't take the British educational system for granted like most "original" English folk they will end up going further than others.

I hope so! I hope they go to decent schools (not madrassas) and grow up to be productive Brits.

Well it comes across as your quite the lap dog for America then
Then again if you're a ukipper Farage won't approve of you praising Americans
He thinks that a small island like the UK is strong enough to cut ties with all non british mudbloods
Nige might read your comments and come to whack you across the head with a very British stick and make you wet the bed at night
What can I say he's a dodgy guy

I never said I was a Kipper.
Reply 32
That's too many. How are these people going to integrate and contribute to our society? Are they skilled? No ones coming here for free, nah **** that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
I hope so! I hope they go to decent schools (not madrassas) and grow up to be productive Brits.

I never said I was a Kipper.

No you sent me a daily mail "article" with the words of Nige as proof
I think it's great, more countries have opened their doors mostly because of the Aylan story, poor boy, because obviously most of the Muslim countries aren't letting them in. I read Pakistan let in a lot of Syrians but the conditions there aren't so great either. If your tax is being used to help these poor people, it's a good thing since so many have lost families and homes.
Original post by NK18444
Listen Fango-
After their refugee status they will apply for citizenship and when receiving it they will work just as hard as us Brits and pay their way like everyone else.
Like other migrants who have settled here the young Syrian generation will take full advantage of the British education system (which unfortunately us Brits take for granted) and eventually be the Doctors, Nurses, Lawyers giving back to the UK which I think is great.
Don't you?

Oh, we're letting them stay here long enough to be citizens?

With what jobs? The ones Brits are struggling to find themselves? Please. We do not have a surplus of jobs to be handing out to people like candy.
Reply 36
Original post by josh75
agreed, we have to remember that these people although refugees come from a very different culture to ours, and so if they are going to come here we must make sure that there values are submissive to British values.

What do you call British values?
Mate we're living in the 21st century our kids will think that going for a kebab with a pint - having a day of rest on Friday with there football mates -and going to a Bob Marley tribute concert with Hussain is very British
Some people think that having the engraving of tradition of Sunday roast and starting the day with a fry up is more important than letting the refugees feel like they are welcome.
Today I saw four black double decker sleeper busses from Austria with blacked out windows and burly men with dark shades driving to the east coast of scotland...what was in them that needed four bus loads transported from Austria???

Creeped me right out. Its one thing reading in the news about and another seeing it in real life...
Reply 38
Original post by Fango_Jett
Oh, we're letting them stay here long enough to be citizens?

With what jobs? The ones Brits are struggling to find themselves? Please. We do not have a surplus of jobs to be handing out to people like candy.

Well if they have the skills and qualifications why not?
please! I've had enough of the blame being shifted on others due to some Brits lack of work ethic and laziness
If refugees are determined enough to find work then they shall
why not blame another Kieth down at the fruit machines whilst wasting his money on a round of pints of bitter and salt and vinegar crisps with money he hasn't got and if he did was from the taxpayer anyway.

We shall look closer to home before blaming the innocent.
British hooliganism is to blame
Original post by NK18444
Well if they have the skills and qualifications why not?
please! I've had enough of the blame being shifted on others due to some Brits lack of work ethic and laziness
If refugees are determined enough to find work then they shall
why not blame another Kieth down at the fruit machines whilst wasting his money on a round of pints of bitter and salt and vinegar crisps with money he hasn't got and if he did was from the taxpayer anyway.

We shall look closer to home before blaming the innocent.
British hooliganism is to blame

Skills and qualifications? Don't make me laugh. The vast, vast majority of them will be unskilled workers who will go into manual labour (and most likely no tax contributions at all). It's not about "determined" to find jobs either. We simply don't have enough to hand around. Should we mention housing as well? 2 million on the waiting list (mostly Brits) and we want to take in more.

Keith the leech is by no means in the right, but he is a British citizen (perhaps unfortunately) and our government has a responsibility to take care of it's citizens first and foremost, not refugees.

Refugees and/or foreign citizens should and will always come second.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending