The Student Room Group

To people who DON'T drink alcohol

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lord Samosa
The hangovers just aren't worth it tbh :lol:

You only get hangovers if you get absolutely ****ed, drinking purer spirits like vodka gives less chance of a hangover :smile:
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
You only get hangovers if you get absolutely ****ed, drinking purer spirits like vodka gives less chance of a hangover :smile:

I think that is a myth
Original post by cole-slaw
I think that is a myth

In my personal experience it's not, I hardly ever get hangovers when just drinking vodka but if I drink loads of jager bombs I'll always get hangovers :dontknow:
While I have fun when drunk, I do and say a lot of stupid **** sometimes and it also interferes with my physique goals. So I've given up drinking. My mates and I don't really go clubbing anymore anyway, we're in our mid 20s now and have done it to death for the past 10 years so it's no longer fun.
Original post by WoodyMKC
While I have fun when drunk, I do and say a lot of stupid **** sometimes and it also interferes with my physique goals. So I've given up drinking. My mates and I don't really go clubbing anymore anyway, we're in our mid 20s now and have done it to death for the past 10 years so it's no longer fun.

What's the point in having physique goals if you're not going out and using it to pull?
What's the point in having physique goals if you're not going out and using it to pull?

Oh, I go out to pull alright. If this makes sense, I go to clubs to pull, but I don't go "clubbing". I roll up a bit late when everyone's had a chance to get a few drinks down them and lower their inhibitions a bit, then I go on the prowl, then leave, hopefully with a girl on my arm (tipsy or a bit drunk but not properly pissed, that's how you want to catch them). I only occasionally go out with the intention of drinking, dancing, club/pub hopping, getting sloshed and waking up with a hangover like I used to, most of the time these days it's just for the sole purpose of pulling. Get in, get chatting, pick someone up, get out.

You keep that liver in tip top shape for as long as possible. :angel:

Then you can drink yourself to a coma come uni :tongue:

Why?

Aren't you bored of seeing all your friends having a good time on the strip? You say you can have fun without alcohol but when everyone around you is drunk is it not just weird and awkward?

Don't you grow tiresome of the people achieving hedonism by simply engorging in the delicious elixir that is alcohol.

Have you ever let yourself loose and tried it? Being drunk can be really fun if moderated and you can still have a great healthy lifestyle.

Recent studies have actually pointed at alcohol being good for your health if consumed in moderation: http://www.psmag.com/health-and-behavior/truth-wont-admit-drinking-healthy-87891

So...... what are you waiting for?

:colone:

If you drink to get drunk it is all a damage limitation game. It isn't good or you. Don't delude yourself.
(edited 8 years ago)
Oh, I go out to pull alright. If this makes sense, I go to clubs to pull, but I don't go "clubbing". I roll up a bit late when everyone's had a chance to get a few drinks down them and lower their inhibitions a bit, then I go on the prowl, then leave, hopefully with a girl on my arm (tipsy or a bit drunk but not properly pissed, that's how you want to catch them). I only occasionally go out with the intention of drinking, dancing, club/pub hopping, getting sloshed and waking up with a hangover like I used to, most of the time these days it's just for the sole purpose of pulling. Get in, get chatting, pick someone up, get out.

You do realise how creepy you sound right?

**** me you're sad and desperate
Original post by somethingbeautiful
Some of us watched first hand as an alcoholic destroyed themselves and their family.

In every single job I've had this comes up and people are like ''omg why don't you drink?''. It's no one's business so I tell them that I just don't enjoy the taste (lie) because otherwise the conversation would be killed if I told them the real reason which is that I have a very close family member who was an alcoholic while I was a child and it totally destroyed my childhood and affected my perception of alcohol and people who drink it. I drank in my teens and got drunk like most other young people just to see what it was like - but I stopped completely when I was 18.

Beyond your mid 20's alcohol is used differently than in your teenage to mid twenties. As young people it's mostly used to have fun and loosen up but into adulthood it's used to numb after a stressful day or in general a stressful life. Personally, I think it's a really unhealthy way to de-stress from work or your problems in general and it's a bad crutch. I'd rather exercise than drink to get rid of stress and I know that I share the same genes as my family member and I could quite easily use alcohol as a crutch - I've got a stressful life and problems and for me to drink would be a disaster waiting to happen. I get addicted to anything and everything - chocolate, TV shows, books, puzzles , whatever - that's part of my personality. So I've always avoided alcohol because for me it would be like opening Pandora's Box and I've seen first hand how that can destroy someone and affect the people around them.

So not all of us are just boring people who don't like to have fun - some of us are just preventing the inevitable and stopping history repeating itself. But that's not really a nice light topic of conversation that people like to hear is it?

I just skipped out the fun care free young person part and went straight to 'dealing with life' drinking :-/

What;s annoying is that I'm sure I felt more happy doing my normal hobbies when I didn't knwo what drinking was like. It;s hard to tell whether ti is the drink or just general growing up. Anyway I was 19 before I started drinking properly. Compared to a lot of people I know I'm basically a teetotal monk.
(edited 8 years ago)
You do realise how creepy you sound right?

**** me you're sad and desperate

So, let's be clear on what you've just said there... lads go out on the pull regularly, that's fact... yet, cause you don't have the balls to chat to a girl without getting several drinks down your neck first, whereas I just get straight in there and crack on, that somehow makes me creepy, sad and desperate? :rofl:
So, let's be clear on what you've just said there... lads go out on the pull regularly, that's fact... yet, cause you don't have the balls to chat to a girl without getting several drinks down your neck first, whereas I just get straight in there and crack on, that somehow makes me creepy, sad and desperate? :rofl:

Several things.... read back what you said first, because seriously you sound like a rapist. I'm tempted to make a thread but it will ruin you so I'll leave it.

And I'm perfectly capable of talking to and pulling girls when I'm sober like I do in the daytime? Yeah lads do that when normally both parties are usually drunk and similar ages unlike an older sober man hitting on drunk girls taking advantage of them like yourself haha. So yes you are sad and creepy.

Also clubs are pretty **** for ONS anyway so I'm not sure why you would do this, although you probably have a full time job with a wife ha
Several things.... read back what you said first, because seriously you sound like a rapist. I'm tempted to make a thread but it will ruin you so I'll leave it.

And I'm perfectly capable of talking to and pulling girls when I'm sober like I do in the daytime? Yeah lads do that when normally both parties are usually drunk and similar ages unlike an older sober man hitting on drunk girls taking advantage of them like yourself haha. So yes you are sad and creepy.

Also clubs are pretty **** for ONS anyway so I'm not sure why you would do this, although you probably have a full time job with a wife ha

:rofl: This is hilariously inaccurate... Get real mate. If I went to a club to pick up a chick that's pissed out of her face and didn't know WTF she was doing, then yes, that'd be creepy as **** - how you got the impression that I do that, though, I have no idea when I already said, I don't go for the ones that are pissed. Try reading properly. I simply roll in about an hour after everyone has gotten there, loosened up a bit and are open to chit chatting with strangers. If that's weird then congratulations, you must have the ****ing Everest of moral compasses, well done you :congrats:

Clubs aren't a **** place to pick up a ONS at all IME, you just have to know WTF you're doing. You seem to be very young, clearly have lots to learn still but it's fine pal, it'll come in time :wink:

And for the record, I'm not an "older man", I'm in my mid 20s and I go for girls my own sort of age. How do I know they're my own age? Because, I talk to them.
(edited 8 years ago)
Imagine bragging about pulling women on a student forum. Oh wait.

This does sound a bit creepy. But at least its a step up from what the majority of TSR does, which is staring at girls from a distance and then posting about it on here.

The best way to pull - the point at which you reach the state of true enlightenment - is when you stop trying to pull altogether.
This does sound a bit creepy. But at least its a step up from what the majority of TSR does, which is staring at girls from a distance and then posting about it on here.

The best way to pull - the point at which you reach the state of true enlightenment - is when you stop trying to pull altogether.

Maybe slightly, but then so is going on the pull in general - approaching a girl with the sole intent of shagging her. If every man thought "ooh better not, might be a little creepy" then no man would ever pull in the first place. Besides, all I've said is that I give them time to settle and take the edge off, hardly going in to pick up girls who need supporting on theiir way out or sticking a Rohypnol in their drink :lol: I never get the impression that the girls I'm chatting to are creeped out at all, and I won't name drop but the fact that a girl who I know to be 18 has liked my last post speaks for itself.

This is true to some degree, hottest girls I've pulled actually have been when just having a chat with my mates and not looking around, then just by chance some girls have sat next to you and struck up a conversation. I don't have a "technique" for pulling anyway, just chat to them like a human being, make them laugh and be myself and then go in when they're on-side :smile: That said, not trying to pull and instead just waiting for it to happen only works if you're good looking :lol:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TwinnyP
Imagine bragging about pulling women on a student forum. Oh wait.

So... where's the punchline :tongue:

I haven't even bragged though :lol: I mentioned I don't drink, someone asked if I go on the pull still, we discussed it, someone chipped in with a frankly moronic view and hilarious lack of reading skill, and I just provided my thoughts. Simply been replying to what's been said, the whole converaation just happens to be about pulling :wink:
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I just skipped out the fun care free young person part and went straight to 'dealing with life' drinking :-/

What;s annoying is that I'm sure I felt more happy doing my normal hobbies when I didn't knwo what drinking was like. It;s hard to tell whether ti is the drink or just general growing up. Anyway I was 19 before I started drinking properly. Compared to a lot of people I know I'm basically a teetotal monk.

Yeah, I think a lot of people do that :s-smilie:. To be honest, drink or not, I think most adults lose interest in their hobbies to some degree. Most just don't have the time for them anymore between working, food shopping, household chores and sleeping etc and when you have free time all you want to do is relax because you're so tired....and most people choose destructive ways to relax such as drinking, smoking, binge eating etc. The vicious circle of adulthood. Personally, I try my best to avoid all of that and do more positive things when I have free time (exercising, volunteering, arts and crafts) otherwise your free time just gets eaten up with trying to escape reality and your only reality becomes work. I guess you have to try to create a positive reality in you free time rather than trying to escape it.
Original post by somethingbeautiful
Yeah, I think a lot of people do that :s-smilie:. To be honest, drink or not, I think most adults lose interest in their hobbies to some degree. Most just don't have the time for them anymore between working, food shopping, household chores and sleeping etc and when you have free time all you want to do is relax because you're so tired....and most people choose destructive ways to relax such as drinking, smoking, binge eating etc. The vicious circle of adulthood. Personally, I try my best to avoid all of that and do more positive things when I have free time (exercising, volunteering, arts and crafts) otherwise your free time just gets eaten up with trying to escape reality and your only reality becomes work. I guess you have to try to create a positive reality in you free time rather than trying to escape it.

That's only for men who have fallen into the trap of the corporate world and will live dull miserable lives caring for there wives and children who they later resent because the wife never puts out and they're all a drain of money. The wife later gets bored and cheats on the man who finds out, they divorce the women takes half of his money and all his kids leaving the father paying for them for the rest of their life :h:

That is not for me nooooo thank you
(edited 8 years ago)
:rofl: This is hilariously inaccurate... Get real mate. If I went to a club to pick up a chick that's pissed out of her face and didn't know WTF she was doing, then yes, that'd be creepy as **** - how you got the impression that I do that, though, I have no idea when I already said, I don't go for the ones that are pissed. Try reading properly. I simply roll in about an hour after everyone has gotten there, loosened up a bit and are open to chit chatting with strangers. If that's weird then congratulations, you must have the ****ing Everest of moral compasses, well done you :congrats:

Clubs aren't a **** place to pick up a ONS at all IME, you just have to know WTF you're doing. You seem to be very young, clearly have lots to learn still but it's fine pal, it'll come in time :wink:

And for the record, I'm not an "older man", I'm in my mid 20s and I go for girls my own sort of age. How do I know they're my own age? Because, I talk to them.

Yes I can read, I know you don't pick up girls who are drunk out of their mind, but it's still pretty creepy for a 26 old guy to do this. Have you not grown up?

They're not **** but not the best place, I'm young (to you) but I've learnt all I need to know especially avoiding all that PUA crap and running games just to get a shag.... smh...

Mhmmm that's older considering most people who go clubbing are students but you're not old.

Still creepy though. Are you not bored of ONS by now though?

:facepalm:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending