The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Is Paedophilla always wrong? Should it be legalised?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mister Morality
No... liking children is not a sexual orientation. There are only 1-2 sexual irientations and the rest are false. A paedophile is an adult who HAS acted on a child in a sexual way. What this 'nature' argument does is attempt to covertly legitimise paedophilia as some kind of mental illness or sexual orientation when it is simply just a criminal and nasty act.

Everybody trying to dilute the term 'paedophile' are only helping to weaken the sentiment and charge people feel when they hear of kiddie fiddling. It only makes paedophiles become the victims of their own nature- like homosexuals in the 1700s. Pity should not be afforded to them.

Wrong, action isn't a requirement to being a paedophile. How bigoted.
Original post by jido
You are wrong. Paedophilia is a mental illness while homosexuality manifestedly isn't. Romance has no place in adult-child relationships.

I agree that child abuse in general is a pressing concern, that includes both domestic violence and molestation.

Not sure what you are trying to say with regards to domestic violence being more pressing, the law addresses specifically sexual abuse and that is at least as important. If you think there is a knee-jerk reaction to paedophilia, that is because the mental health aspect is not well represented in the media (I was not even sure it existed), so all people know is the criminal aspect.

What is and isn't a "mental illness" is cultural.

Homosexuality was a "mental illness" in the past but it isn't anymore.
Original post by Doctor_Einstein
Wrong, action isn't a requirement to being a paedophile. How bigoted.

How silly. I'm a bigot because I want to categorise people based on evidence and not self-diagnosis. Get real, matey.
Original post by JD1lla
there is hope I guess.

my gut feeling is that these guys are an absolute minority though..men suppressing sexual urges? surely not?!

Just like how straight men who don't get laid always go out and rape people.
How silly. I'm a bigot because I want to categorise people based on evidence and not self-diagnosis. Get real, matey.

For consistency, I take it you don't accept people who self classify themselves as homosexuals either?
Reply 165
Anyone who acts on their urges should get what's coming to them. However, paedophiles who seek help, and admit their thoughts/ feelings, should really have the option to get that help. It's one thing to have those thoughts and another to act upon them. There are probably hundreds, thousands of paedophiles who don't act on it, but struggle with their thoughts, this is what can then lead to them carrying out an act.

It definitely shouldn't be legalised but there needs to be more support to people who do feel that way. Whether it be classed as a mental health issue? Well I don't think it is, because it's an attraction. Okay not one that most people (myself included) would be accepting of but still, people can't help what they are attracted to.
Original post by Doctor_Einstein
For consistency, I take it you don't accept people who self classify themselves as homosexuals either?

Correct. You are not homosexual unless you have actually sodomised another man.
Reply 167
Original post by BugzyMalone
Paedophillia is prevalent in the bible and occurs in Middle Eastern countries. Also we've become accepting of all sorts of bizarre sexual orientations- homosexuality, asexuality, necrophillia and beastiality. The fact these are all accepted as the norm these days in society raises a quietly controversial question- should our views on Paedophillia change?

The bible was written by a man a very long time ago, it is the perceived word of God. Men make mistakes and any hints towards paedophillia being OK in the bible are wrong.

It doesn't take an awful lot of moral judgement to realise that when you are sexualy attracted to someone or something that cannot give you informed consent for the sexual act it is morally wrong. Paedophillia is child abuse, children do not know what sex is, they are not interested in it, they are not developed enough. Similarly in terms of consent, a corpse cannot respond so cannot consent to the act. Bestiality is another, animals cannot consent, we have no form of dialogue with them and they are generally regarded as not self-aware (excluding dolphins and primates and a some other mammals perhaps).

Please do not group Asexuality and Homosexuality together with Paedophillia and Necrophillia, theya re not the same. The former is a SEXUAL ORIENTATION, the latter is ABUSE. If you cannot distinguish the two, then so help you...
(edited 8 years ago)
Why do Muslims enjoy paedophillia and rape?
Paedophilia in itself is simply an attraction to children. Thoughts and desires cannot be either legal or illegal and the state has no control over those. If, as I suspect, you're referring to the action of sexually abusing children then of course not, what possible justification could there be for legalising that?
The answers to this thread disgust me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GodAtum
Why do Muslims enjoy paedophillia and rape?

Oh **** off mate

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Law-Hopeful
We can't criminalise thoughts etc

Only because of logistics. If they could, they would. People get arrested/imprisoned all the time for putting their thoughts on the internet. Especially in really liberal countries like Canada, but really almost everywhere in the West apart from the USA.
Original post by Cherie Amour
Homosexuality is legal in some places because it is too controversial to debate the origins.

Huh? I'm not aware of any country that has legalised homosexuality for the reason of "its origins are controversial". It has been legalised because people have realised that there is nothing inherently wrong with same sex relationships and that they should have the same rights as heterosexual people.

Pedophilia is wrong because it is sexual abuse, or engaging in sexual activity or molestation or exposure to someone who can't defend themselves. It is also seen as an abuse of authority. If someone came up to you when you were a kid and touched you or tried to have sex with you, you'd probably be scared and confused. It's child welfare. Are you saying eradicate child welfare for the sole wispy purpose of being nice?

The thought in itself of fancying children isn't and shouldn't be illegal. People can fantasise about whatever they like, the problem comes when they act on such things.
Since when does someone have sexual thoughts and doesn't act on them at some point. Pedophilia is bad because it leads to sexual abuse of children. Otherwise pedophilia is simply theoretical and we all know it isn't.

Err plenty of people must be secret paedophiles who have never acted on their desires. There was even a recent Channel 4 documentary that interviewed a self-proclaimed paedophile who said he had never abused children nor would he ever choose to.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by driftawaay
You do know its a troll?

The troll doesnt like that homosexuality is legal so he is trying to make the argument that homosexuality = pedophilia, so homosexuality should be illegal. Theres one of these threads all the time.

This thread is not about pedophilia, its about homophobia and the people actually feeding the troll are simpletons *facepalm*

:laugh: Please tell me, how in 7 hells did you come to such a conclusion?
Are you 12? You post like you're jumping up and down screaming for a cookie.

Better than you :laugh:
Original post by mr.purplelambkin
Wow, self-righteous plonkers everywhere.Love is love, sexual attraction is sexual attraction, whatever the age. I'm sick to death of all these morons who believe all paedophiles are closet Jimmy Savilles who want to abuse their authority as adults over children. They are not! But at the same time, rape and molesting children, or anyone really, is wrong.I understand all these concerns that paedophiles might one day end up abusing the kid they're into, but let's be adults about this shall we? If an adult loves an under 11 romantically, then by definition they should want to protect and satisfy said child as well as themselves, and at the same time they should be aware groping/sexual assaults are illegal in this country. Paedophilia is something that occurs to people naturally, like homosexualiy, and does not make somebody a raving lunatic. Therefore, by that logic, there should be straight up men/women who the child would be safe with, despite being paedophiles. In fact, one of the most common and more pressing problem children face is domestic violence. If you really want to save more children, rather than trying to demonize every single paedophile out there, save the kids from their parents first, please.So to sum up, I don't think paedophilia is wrong but believe rape and molesting is. Since children can't give consent without parent's permission for anything, parents themselves are more suitable to have this discussion that's currently being done rather than by childless nincompoop s.

HEAR! HEAR!
Original post by Law-Hopeful
And you clearly possess neither.
This got me so hard. So ****ing beast :adore:
Whether we like it or not, it will be legalised. Several political parties are working on it and since tolerance is the west's specialty, I wouldn't be surprised is such sickos will be seen as victims in the future.
Reply 177
Are you 12? You post like you're jumping up and down screaming for a cookie.

How is it remotely like that?
No... liking children is not a sexual orientation. There are only 1-2 sexual irientations and the rest are false. A paedophile is an adult who HAS acted on a child in a sexual way. What this 'nature' argument does is attempt to covertly legitimise paedophilia as some kind of mental illness or sexual orientation when it is simply just a criminal and nasty act.

Everybody trying to dilute the term 'paedophile' are only helping to weaken the sentiment and charge people feel when they hear of kiddie fiddling. It only makes paedophiles become the victims of their own nature- like homosexuals in the 1700s. Pity should not be afforded to them.

Lol why did you quote me? Never said it was a sexual orientation.
There is a difference between paedophilia and child sexual abuse; most importantly, the former is a mental condition for which there exist no laws which prohibit it whatsoever, whilst the latter is a heinous sex crime which is generally considered to be among the worst crimes possible for a person to commit.

/Thread

Not all paedophiles are child sexual abusers and not all child sexual abusers are paedophiles.

paedophiliaˌpiːdə(ʊ)ˈfɪlɪə/noun

sexual feelings directed towards children.

paedophileˈpiːdə(ʊ)fʌɪl/noun

a person who is sexually attracted to children.

You can not criminalize a though or feeling
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by LenaSim
Whether we like it or not, it will be legalised. Several political parties are working on it and since tolerance is the west's specialty, I wouldn't be surprised is such sickos will be seen as victims in the future.

What are you on about lassie? Child abuse will never be legalised, tolerance doesn't mean everything is tolerated, just like murder, racism and hate speech won't be legalised.

Latest

Trending

Trending