The Student Room Group

Doctor or commercial pilot?

hello,i recently finished my highschool with great results and i have 2 choices to decide within a week either become a doctor or a pilot .i started my foundation pilot ground classes 7 weeks ago and i really got interested in becoming a commercial pilot and i think its really fun.1 week ago my mom told me i got accepted into one of the top medicine school in my home country.since i was young adore science. i have watched many medicine related tv series, surgeries and i really dont get disgusted where as i also play alot of flight simulators and play a lot of plane games and i do know alot about aircrafts because of the foundation course.i always try to work hard in order to achieve my best and i like discovering things.i really dont know which one suites me the best and to choose as a career.
Original post by savage_roaster
hello,i recently finished my highschool with great results and i have 2 choices to decide within a week either become a doctor or a pilot .i started my foundation pilot ground classes 7 weeks ago and i really got interested in becoming a commercial pilot and i think its really fun.1 week ago my mom told me i got accepted into one of the top medicine school in my home country.since i was young adore science. i have watched many medicine related tv series, surgeries and i really dont get disgusted where as i also play alot of flight simulators and play a lot of plane games and i do know alot about aircrafts because of the foundation course.i always try to work hard in order to achieve my best and i like discovering things.i really dont know which one suites me the best and to choose as a career.

Medicine. Commercial planes already pretty much fly themselves, who knows what technology will be like in 20 years.

Most likely we will still need surgeons though.
Do you prefer dealing with people or machines?

If you do medicine you could always get a PPL and fly as a hobby. Commercial pilots do very little 'actual flying'.
Doctor, Commercial pilots is a declining sector as technology advances. Also there is a significant amount of debt associated with pilots. I think its £75,000 to £90,000 to take the tests with no guarantee of a job. Also pilots are more exposed to the economic climate. As seen in 2008-2012 as many airlines went bust or racked up significant debt/losses many pilots where let go.
You have to look way in to the future and i see a decline in the availability of jobs within the area of pilots. But thats just my opinion. All the best
If you don't know now, are you sure you've got the dedication required for either? Becoming a commercial pilot requires a small fortune, a huge amount of work, and a lot of very stressful tests, followed by a lot of uncertainty as it's incredibly hard to get a job as a newly qualified pilot. It's something you do only because you'll forever regret not trying it. Becoming a doctor is hardly a walk in the park either!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending