The Student Room Group

Am I big enough to play Rugby/American football at Uni?

Sup,
i'm hoping to go to uni next year and am hoping to weigh 12 stone when i go, im only 5 foot 9 so i will have a fair bit of muscle mass on my frame and i also have low bodyfat, but at a weight of 12 stone im still tiny compared to the 16 stone monsters that most teams will have, do you guys think ill still be big enough to hold my own against these guys and compete with them physically whilst having a smaller frame?
Reply 1
Well tackling someone will require a lot of momentum, since momentum = mass x velocity - you can have a lower mass but you'll have to compensate with running faster. So yes?
Reply 2
Original post by Minions
Well tackling someone will require a lot of momentum, since momentum = mass x velocity - you can have a lower mass but you'll have to compensate with running faster. So yes?

Hopefully as I am quite and explosive athlete I will be able to generate good momentum with a smaller build, I used to play football (soccer) at an professional level (league 2) and I had very good acceleration over a short distance, and I had a standing jump which was one of the highest at my club, does this mean i have fast twitch muscle fibres and will be able to tackle the bigger guys?
Original post by TGMG
Sup,
i'm hoping to go to uni next year and am hoping to weigh 12 stone when i go, im only 5 foot 9 so i will have a fair bit of muscle mass on my frame and i also have low bodyfat, but at a weight of 12 stone im still tiny compared to the 16 stone monsters that most teams will have, do you guys think ill still be big enough to hold my own against these guys and compete with them physically whilst having a smaller frame?

As a league convert from union at a reasonable standard - I can tell you - you'll be fine. Learn how to step at pace and you'll be hard to tackle.

In terms of tackling - if you struggle then just cling on and help will come.

Out of interest which league 2 team?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Afcwimbledon2
As a league convert from union at a reasonable standard - I can tell you - you'll be fine. Learn how to step at pace and you'll be hard to tackle.

Posted from TSR Mobile

aldershot, now relegated haha
Reply 5
Original post by Afcwimbledon2

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was hoping to be able to get involved with some big hits aswell, the physical side appeals to me, growing up at school whenever we played rugby I always when in for big hits on guys much bigger than me and it worked fine, I currently weigh **** all but i reckon i could dump tackle someone 2-3 stone heavier than me.
Original post by TGMG
I was hoping to be able to get involved with some big hits aswell, the physical side appeals to me, growing up at school whenever we played rugby I always when in for big hits on guys much bigger than me and it worked fine, I currently weigh **** all but i reckon i could dump tackle someone 2-3 stone heavier than me.

With time yes, but if your picking it up first time then you won't be making big hits straight away. I know for a fact though my League team would love to have a player of your build!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Most people will be your size but not former pro athletes, so yes.

Quick Reply

Latest