The Student Room Group

Gay Rights!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zippity.doodah
not really - black people were segregated out of society through the legal system - gay people just didn't have the right to marry (and some other more minor things) - they've never been segregated out of society

Such as being thrown in jail? Murdered?

Being branded as a crimial for being gay is not being segregated out of society?
Original post by Rory :)
Being gay is a choice. Being black isn't.

Please tell me when exactly you chose to be straight? Also could you choose to be gay for a year? Go on. Do it.

:rolleyes:
Original post by driftawaay
Such as being thrown in jail? Murdered?

Being branded as a crimial for being gay is not being segregated out of society?

I'm not talking about *that* long ago - I'm talking about since the civil rights movement. black people were made slaves but I'm not bringing that up because it was too long ago with regards to the comparison
Original post by Zorgotron
The moment I say anything, I will be outnumbered (like in this forum) and shouted down. I will be called a bigot, homophobe - you name it.

And rightly so.
I'm not talking about *that* long ago - I'm talking about since the civil rights movement. black people were made slaves but I'm not bringing that up because it was too long ago with regards to the comparison

and gay people are still thrown in prison today and killed just for being gay

Tell me where can I buy a slave nowadays?
Original post by BaconandSauce
and gay people are still thrown in prison today and killed just for being gay

Tell me where can I buy a slave nowadays?

you aren't talking about the western world, though. non-muslims can get killed in a lot of societies but that doesn't mean that non-muslims globally are persecuted.

I don't like cheese.

Liking cheese is a choice.

Therefore cheese should be illegal.
you aren't talking about the western world, though. non-muslims can get killed in a lot of societies but that doesn't mean that non-muslims globally are persecuted.

Is it the law that muslims are to be killed for being muslim?

But why reduce the scope of the argument?
Original post by Truths
Nope. Why you may ask? I let these images do the talking.

Gay rights rally.

Black rights rally.

Yeah, because using selective images is a first class argument. :rolleyes:
I don't think there's a single civil rights movement in the west that's signficant

at least in the UK, all minorities have legal protection, so there's no need for any more civil rights demonstrations or anything

anyone think otherwise?
Reply 30
Original post by drowzee
Oh wow, I hope you're joking. If not, then I pity your stupidity and ignorance.

It is a choice, no one is born gay, there are people who who became gay but then became straight again.

Are you still a feminist?
Reply 31
Gay rights and civil rights are not the same thing, obviously gays will use it though to further their agenda but being gay is something you choose, no one is born gay.
Original post by slade p
It is a choice, no one is born gay, there are people who who became gay but then became straight again.

Are you still a feminist?

Could you choose to have sex with a man tomorrow?
Reply 33
Original post by Lady Comstock
Could you choose to have sex with a man tomorrow?

If I was gay then obviously.
Original post by slade p

So, you could choose to become gay right now then?

What makes you think you know the contents of peoples' hearts and souls better than they do? Practically every gay person will tell you that it is not a choice.
Reply 36
Original post by shadowdweller
So, you could choose to become gay right now then?

People become gay because of environmental influences as they grow up, but the point is it's not the same as civil rights so gays should not equate their agenda to civil rights. Homosexuality is not a good thing as well, it's bad for society.
Original post by slade p
People become gay because of environmental influences as they grow up, but the point is it's not the same as civil rights so gays should not equate their agenda to civil rights. Homosexuality is not a good thing as well, it's bad for society.

'Being gay is a choice... people become gay because of environmental influences' - so which is it?

And why is it bad for society?
Original post by slade p
People become gay because of environmental influences as they grow up

Make your mind up. So it's not a choice then?

but the point is it's not the same as civil rights so gays should not equate their agenda to civil rights.

Why not?

Homosexuality is not a good thing as well, it's bad for society.

How so?
Reply 39
Original post by shadowdweller
'Being gay is a choice... people become gay because of environmental influences' - so which is it?

And why is it bad for society?

It's a choice meaning initially environmental influences steer you towards becoming gay but you have the choice to reject acting on it.

But once again even if I agree there's nothing wrong with it, it's still not the same as civil rights which was about not giving rights based on ethnicity/race.

The legalisation and normalisation of homosexuality is bad for society because it will decay family structures, it will negatively affect male female relations and negatively affect children mentally.

Quick Reply

Latest