The Student Room Group

What kinds of places sell big plates/dishes cheaply?

For my meals, the amount of food I tend to make won't usually fit on a normal plate. I took to using a baking tray once (one with the deep sides), but I'd rather just use a giant plate, with enough depth so food with sauce won't spill over.

As an example, when I make my own version of potato hash (which is really just veggie mince of some sort, potatoes, and mixed veg, with gravy and pepper), I'll either use a full tin of potatoes, a full tin of carrots, and a full tin of peas, or a full tin of potatoes and one or two full tins of mixed vegetables. It tends to some quite high in the pan even after draining.

I don't want to fork out a load on a large plate, so where can I get a cheap plate that's large enough for that sort of food?
(edited 8 years ago)
Have you tried IKEA? Instead of looking for plates, look at getting serving dishe. They might be better
If you're eating more than fits on a plate, you're probably eating too much.
Just invest in a pig trough.
Reply 4
Wilko have cheap crockery, also most supermarkets have a budget range.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ikea. Maybe a pasta dish will help you out... or smaller portion sizes.
Where you would expect really. The main supermarkets, Wilkos, Argos.
Why not use 2 plates?
Reply 8
Original post by Bubble_10
Have you tried IKEA? Instead of looking for plates, look at getting serving dishe. They might be better

Cheers, might work

Original post by SmallTownGirl
If you're eating more than fits on a plate, you're probably eating too much.

I'm tall and thin. Definitely not eating too much. I'm a growing lad :biggrin:

Original post by cole-slaw
Just invest in a pig trough.

Don't want to turn into you, so no

Original post by AlesanaWill
Why not use 2 plates?

Space and the fact that food on one plate might go cold before I've eaten food on the first plate.
Why not just plate up enough to fit on one plate, then keep the rest warm in the pan before refilling your plate once you've ate the first bit? It's what my old flatmate used to do, and his portions were like 3 times the size of ours. If not, try going to the supermarket/wilko and seeing if they have a big platter plate or something, they're usually pretty cheap if you get the value range.

Quick Reply