The Student Room Group

Universities and A2 retakes?

I didn't do that well in A-Levels. I'm currently taking a gap year to retake some A2 modules. Are there any Russell group universities that would be ok with this (taking A-Levels in 3 years instead of 2)?I've heard that some universities such as Bristol rule out retake students. Is that true?
Original post by EDFM
I didn't do that well in A-Levels. I'm currently taking a gap year to retake some A2 modules. Are there any Russell group universities that would be ok with this (taking A-Levels in 3 years instead of 2)?I've heard that some universities such as Bristol rule out retake students. Is that true?

It kinda depends on the course. Most Russell Group universities don't accept post-A2 retakes for their medicine courses due to the sheer competition (exception: Exeter). Beyond that, it's generally okay unless you're retaking huge numbers of exams multiple times and with little improvement.

Cambridge in particular say that, while they don't mind a few retakes, they won't be particularly impressed if you're retaking huge numbers of exams as students at Cambridge are assessed by examination each year and there is no opportunity to retake anything (except qualifying exams in medicine). I'm not sure what Oxford's position is on this but I've heard they're more flexible with retakes than Cambridge in all courses except medicine.

Good luck. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Hydeman
It kinda depends on the course. Most Russell Group universities don't accept post-A2 retakes for their medicine courses due to the sheer competition (exception: Exeter). Beyond that, it's generally okay unless you're retaking huge numbers of exams multiple times and with little improvement.

Cambridge in particular say that, while they don't mind a few retakes, they won't be particularly impressed if you're retaking huge numbers of exams as students at Cambridge are assessed by examination each year and there is no opportunity to retake anything (except qualifying exams in medicine). I'm not sure what Oxford's position is on this but I've heard they're more flexible with retakes than Cambridge in all courses except medicine.

Good luck. :smile:

Thanks! :biggrin:

I heard that was the position for AS retakes. But is it the same for A2 retakes (in a gap year)? Btw, the course would be law.
Original post by EDFM
Thanks! :biggrin:

I heard that was the position for AS retakes. But is it the same for A2 retakes (in a gap year)? Btw, the course would be law.

I would imagine so. Cambridge specifically say that some A2 resits are fine although if your grades aren't very competitive to begin with (for example if you've got ABB or AAB at A-level), then you're better off retaking and then applying with the improved grades, all the while remembering that they frown on multiple retakes in the same subject or resitting whole years (without extenuating circumstances) etc.

Oxford doesn't seem to have any official advice for this other than medicine so can't say much about that. All other RG unis are generally okay with retakes (at least if that's what their conspicuous silence on the matter means) perhaps with the exception of Bristol, as long as it's not something ridiculous like that guy who resat his maths A-level ... 29 times. That would definitely not go over well with any university, RG or not. :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by EDFM

I was in the exact same position as you last year. It is true that Bristol isn't fond of A2 retakes - however, it does entirely depend on why you are needing to resit. If it due to extenuating circumstances etc then as long as you prove this, they are fine with it (I'm starting Bristol in a few weeks!) It would be a good idea to email the unis you are considering and see what they say - no point wasting choices that would flat out say no anyway - hope this helped in some way
Reply 5
Original post by Hydeman
I would imagine so. Cambridge specifically say that some A2 resits are fine although if your grades aren't very competitive to begin with (for example if you've got ABB or AAB at A-level), then you're better off retaking and then applying with the improved grades, all the while remembering that they frown on multiple retakes in the same subject or resitting whole years (without extenuating circumstances) etc.

Oxford doesn't seem to have any official advice for this other than medicine so can't say much about that. All other RG unis are generally okay with retakes (at least if that's what their conspicuous silence on the matter means) perhaps with the exception of Bristol, as long as it's not something ridiculous like that guy who resat his maths A-level ... 29 times. That would definitely not go over well with any university, RG or not. :wink:

Do you have a source for Cambridge being ok with A2 resits? I thought it was opposite (they didn't like anyone taking longer than one sitting to complete their A-Levels). And I heard that LSE took the same approach. That's why I was rather worried.

And when you say resitting the whole year, what do you mean? I'm taking a gap year and retaking about 2 modules in one subject. Would that be fine?

Original post by Wrf95
I was in the exact same position as you last year. It is true that Bristol isn't fond of A2 retakes - however, it does entirely depend on why you are needing to resit. If it due to extenuating circumstances etc then as long as you prove this, they are fine with it (I'm starting Bristol in a few weeks!) It would be a good idea to email the unis you are considering and see what they say - no point wasting choices that would flat out say no anyway - hope this helped in some way

I'm guessing you had extenuating circumstances? I resitting because I did badly last year so that's probably different. What other unis did you apply to?
Reply 6
Original post by EDFM
Do you have a source for Cambridge being ok with A2 resits? I thought it was opposite (they didn't like anyone taking longer than one sitting to complete their A-Levels). And I heard that LSE took the same approach. That's why I was rather worried.

And when you say resitting the whole year, what do you mean? I'm taking a gap year and retaking about 2 modules in one subject. Would that be fine?

I'm guessing you had extenuating circumstances? I resitting because I did badly last year so that's probably different. What other unis did you apply to?

I did yeah - was it just bad luck or was there a reason? I applied to Bristol, York, Exeter, UEA, and Liverpool - I really would suggest emailing round to some of your chosen unis to see how they feel about resits, best way to work out what to do now is to research and ask directly
Original post by EDFM

My source: http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/entrance-requirements/gcse-and-a-level-requirements-facts. See the last point under the 'the facts at a glance' section.

And while they very much prefer applicants to do everything right first time, they say that they understand that everyone can have bad days. It's if you have too many bad days that they start to worry. If in doubt, there's currently an active thread called 'Ask Peterhouse!' where an Admissions Tutor from Peterhouse College, Cambridge is answering people's question. :smile:

I don't know about LSE (I think they prefer things to be done at a single sitting) but by 'resitting the whole year', I mean if you're resitting all the AS or A2 (or both) modules for any of your subjects. So, for example, if somebody did really badly on their AS results and wasn't allowed to progress onto A2, they might repeat the AS year doing the same exams next year and do their A2 exams the year after that. This would mean they've completed A-levels in three years rather than two, which pisses them off somewhat.

I asked the Peterhouse Admissions Tutor about A2 resits specifically and (s)he said that there's no set number of resits beyond which your application won't be considered but that they don't like seeing multiple resits in the same subject and resitting multiple exams across several subjects. So two resits should be fine, if I had to guess. :smile:

You said in the OP that you didn't do that well - if so, you might want to do the retakes and then apply with achieved grades for 2017 entry. I say this because, unfortunately, your UMS average has a big role in determining whether you get an interview or not and you can't get an offer without an interview. If your UMS average is less than 85 percent at the very minimum, then it's unlikely that you'll be invited for interview as most people will likely have 90+ percent and the average successful applicant has a UMS average nearer 95 percent. Although you can still apply to other RG universities this year!
Reply 8
Original post by Hydeman
My source: http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/entrance-requirements/gcse-and-a-level-requirements-facts. See the last point under the 'the facts at a glance' section.

And while they very much prefer applicants to do everything right first time, they say that they understand that everyone can have bad days. It's if you have too many bad days that they start to worry. If in doubt, there's currently an active thread called 'Ask Peterhouse!' where an Admissions Tutor from Peterhouse College, Cambridge is answering people's question. :smile:

I don't know about LSE (I think they prefer things to be done at a single sitting) but by 'resitting the whole year', I mean if you're resitting all the AS or A2 (or both) modules for any of your subjects. So, for example, if somebody did really badly on their AS results and wasn't allowed to progress onto A2, they might repeat the AS year doing the same exams next year and do their A2 exams the year after that. This would mean they've completed A-levels in three years rather than two, which pisses them off somewhat.

I asked the Peterhouse Admissions Tutor about A2 resits specifically and (s)he said that there's no set number of resits beyond which your application won't be considered but that they don't like seeing multiple resits in the same subject and resitting multiple exams across several subjects. So two resits should be fine, if I had to guess. :smile:

You said in the OP that you didn't do that well - if so, you might want to do the retakes and then apply with achieved grades for 2017 entry. I say this because, unfortunately, your UMS average has a big role in determining whether you get an interview or not and you can't get an offer without an interview. If your UMS average is less than 85 percent at the very minimum, then it's unlikely that you'll be invited for interview as most people will likely have 90+ percent and the average successful applicant has a UMS average nearer 95 percent. Although you can still apply to other RG universities this year!

Thanks for all the help! It really helps. I've been researching further and I think it might be better apply to Oxford this time around. Do you have any idea on their policy? Would it be the same as Cambridge? Thanks again!
Original post by EDFM
Thanks for all the help! It really helps. I've been researching further and I think it might be better apply to Oxford this time around. Do you have any idea on their policy? Would it be the same as Cambridge? Thanks again!

I only know their policy on medicine, which is stricter than Cambridge's policy in that it's an absolute no-no for them. On their other subjects, I recommend you email them about it as I haven't looked it up and they would be best placed to answer that. Oxford definitely doesn't mind AS resits though, because I looked at a Q&A on YouTube with some access reps from St. Peter's College and one of them said she had resat multiple AS exams and still got in because they mainly care about GCSEs and you being predicted the required grades. The way I think about it is this: Oxford has a more liberal resit policy than Cambridge within a two-year study period and Cambridge has a more liberal resit policy than Oxford outside the two-year study period.

Quick Reply

Latest