The Student Room Group
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Freshers stuff

Does anyone have any idea what sort of stuff goes on during the days in freshers week? I'm not much of a drinker so I'm looking for other things to do
I think there are a few fairs on by the societies, I hope there are other events than drinking, I'm in a similar situation.
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Hey guys,
I posted a similar thread earlier, I'm dreading freshers because I am by no means of the imagination a big drinker but I'm also useless at making friends so I really don't know what to do in freshers!!
Reply 3
I can't stand club music so I'm only going to a club for the first night (probably). After that I'll be going to pubs and any parties people have. In pubs just buy an alcopop or cider (Bulmers, Koppaberg) and just sip on it for a while.
Reply 4
I'm sure we'll be fine, there;s bound to be a lot more people in the same position as us, I doubt everyone there likes getting blackout drunk
Besides, I won't have my ID in time anyway, so it's not like I can go to the pub even just to sit and chat. I won't be able to meet anyone :afraid:
Reply 6
There's so much stuff going on during the day (I'd neglected to go on on the website) that doesn't necessarily involve drinking, so I'm sure we'll be fine...
Reply 7
Original post by ataraxxy
Does anyone have any idea what sort of stuff goes on during the days in freshers week? I'm not much of a drinker so I'm looking for other things to do

Original post by QuantumBiologist
I think there are a few fairs on by the societies, I hope there are other events than drinking, I'm in a similar situation.

Original post by LouieSax
Hey guys,
I posted a similar thread earlier, I'm dreading freshers because I am by no means of the imagination a big drinker but I'm also useless at making friends so I really don't know what to do in freshers!!

Original post by QuantumBiologist
Besides, I won't have my ID in time anyway, so it's not like I can go to the pub even just to sit and chat. I won't be able to meet anyone :afraid:

Hey guys, third year here! First of all, welcome to Northumbria! You'll have a wonderful time here! Second - don't fret - you don't have to drink to enjoy Fresher's and there are plenty of things for you all to do through the day and night that don't involve alcohol. You can also still go to the big events and have just as much fun (plus the addition of no hangover). Here's some stuff the SU are putting on (listed by day):

Friday 11
> Big Welcome Tea Party
> Jesmond Dene Walk
> Trip to Ikea

Sat. 12
> Quad Games
> BBQ
> Two football matches are being shown live
> Ice skating trip

Sun 13
> Lo Reid's Hypnotist Show (She's incredibly funny and seeing her show is a must!)
> Trip to Tynemouth and Beach
> Hangover lounge - film showings in Reds
> Two more football matches

Mon 14
> Freshers Fair - go here and pick up literally everything. There's normally free cakes and pizza too!
> Cycle tour of Newcastle
> Football penalty shootout and 5 a side matches
> Showing of The Breakfast Club
> Trip to see Jesus Christ Superstar at Theatre Royal
> West Ham V Newcastle United match

Tues 15
> Freshers Fair & cycle tours are happening again on Tues.
> Allotment Picnic at Ellison Gardens
> Big Gamer Party - for video game fans
> Bouncy Boxing
> Showing of Mrs. Doubtfire

Wed 16
> Comedy Night
> Monster Munch Party
> NSU/Societies and Volunteering Fair
> Open tour bus tour of Newcastle (cycling tours are still running Wednesday too!)
> Tag Rugby
> The Fault in Our Stars showing

Thurs 17
> River Cruise Boat Party (exclusive to wristband holders)
> Coffeehouse Sessions - these are regular things where an acoustic artist takes over Habita for a couple of hours of live music
> House of Objects Arts and Crafts Session
> Oasis Lounge - a chilled out area with non-alcoholic refreshments where you can hang out and play some games.
> Salsa Dancing Taster Session
> Pop-up mini golf
> Showing of Guardians of the Galaxy

Fri 18
> Bowling and Giant Scalextric Tournament (join here)
> Circus Skills
> Non - Beach Volleyball on the Green
> Showing of The Lego Movie
> Yoga Taster Session
> Film Night
> Oasis lounge

Sat 19
> Newcastle V Watford trip
> The A-Z challenge

Sun 20
> Game On Exhibition at Centre for Life
> Big Fresh Quiz of the Week - our weekly pub quiz, but made better for Freshers

So.. that's all the official SU hosted stuff. If you see anything you like, you can get more information on the SU website. There'll also be other parties and external events, as well as Returner's Week the week after Fresher's. Failing that, we have a Wetherspoons five minutes away - drag your new friends to go get some food! If you have any more questions, just let us know :biggrin:.
Reply 8
Original post by dp247
Hey guys, third year here! First of all, welcome to Northumbria! You'll have a wonderful time here! Second - don't fret - you don't have to drink to enjoy Fresher's and there are plenty of things for you all to do through the day and night that don't involve alcohol. You can also still go to the big events and have just as much fun (plus the addition of no hangover). Here's some stuff the SU are putting on (listed by day):

Friday 11
> Big Welcome Tea Party
> Jesmond Dene Walk
> Trip to Ikea

Sat. 12
> Quad Games
> BBQ
> Two football matches are being shown live
> Ice skating trip

Sun 13
> Lo Reid's Hypnotist Show (She's incredibly funny and seeing her show is a must!)
> Trip to Tynemouth and Beach
> Hangover lounge - film showings in Reds

Mon 14
> Freshers Fair - go here and pick up literally everything. There's normally free cakes and pizza too!
> Cycle tour of Newcastle
> Football penalty shootout and 5 a side matches
> Showing of The Breakfast Club
> Trip to see Jesus Christ Superstar at Theatre Royal
> West Ham V Newcastle United match

Tues 15
> Freshers Fair & cycle tours are happening again on Tues.
> Allotment Picnic at Ellison Gardens
> Big Gamer Party - for video game fans
> Bouncy Boxing
> Showing of Mrs. Doubtfire

Wed 16
> Comedy Night
> Monster Munch Party
> NSU/Societies and Volunteering Fair
> Open tour bus tour of Newcastle (cycling tours are still running Wednesday too!)
> Tag Rugby
> The Fault in Our Stars showing

Thurs 17
> River Cruise Boat Party (exclusive to wristband holders)
> Coffeehouse Sessions - these are regular things where an acoustic artist takes over Habita for a couple of hours of live music
> House of Objects Arts and Crafts Session
> Oasis Lounge - a chilled out area with non-alcoholic refreshments where you can hang out and play some games.
> Salsa Dancing Taster Session
> Pop-up mini golf
> Showing of Guardians of the Galaxy

Fri 18
> Bowling and Giant Scalextric Tournament (join here)
> Circus Skills
> Non - Beach Volleyball on the Green
> Showing of The Lego Movie
> Yoga Taster Session
> Film Night
> Oasis lounge

Sat 19
> Newcastle V Watford trip
> The A-Z challenge

Sun 20
> Game On Exhibition at Centre for Life
> Big Fresh Quiz of the Week - our weekly pub quiz, but made better for Freshers

So.. that's all the official SU hosted stuff. If you see anything you like, you can get more information on the SU website. There'll also be other parties and external events, as well as Returner's Week the week after Fresher's. Failing that, we have a Wetherspoons five minutes away - drag your new friends to go get some food! If you have any more questions, just let us know :biggrin:.

Thanks! Are all the freshers week events only hosted by NSU? Any other organisers that we should follow?
Reply 9
Original post by kwj
Thanks! Are all the freshers week events only hosted by NSU? Any other organisers that we should follow?

The official events are hosted by the union. There's always bar crawls and club nights though, hosted by local event companies. Don't worry, their promotion staff will catch up with you, or you can search in the unofficial groups/pages on Facebook.

I'm so out of fashion with the clubs, I don't know what to recommend :tongue:.
Second year here! There is SO much to do in freshers if you're not a big drinker, I'm not either. Lo Reid tonight is a MUST, hilarious show and you can just buy a soft drink if you don't want to drink alcohol. All the societies fairs and sports fairs are good too. Also look on the NSU website at a company called FastFriends. They organize a few events throughout the year, I.e Edinburgh Xmas market and football matches etc where drinking isn't a big thing but it's still all good fun. Hope this helps and enjoy this week!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending