The Student Room Group

Anyone done Masters or Ph.D after PGCE?

I want to become a teacher but at the same time i don't want to give up the idea of ever doing further study myself. I thought id ask here if anyone has done a masters or Ph.D afterwards and how you did it. i.e did you take a year out for Masters or teach part time etc? Would you do anything differently?

I'm also interested in how common it is for people to do Degree>PGCE>Masters>Ph.D
(edited 8 years ago)
I've met quite a number of teachers who've done an MA in Education (part-time study, whilst teaching full-time). A lot of PGCE courses give you some credits you can transfer to that course.

I've also known a few teachers who teach PT - 4 days out of 5 jobs seem to be available fairly frequently-so I dare say you could use the day off for study.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by greenbeans123
I've met quite a number of teachers who've done an MA in Education (part-time study, whilst teaching full-time). A lot of PGCE courses give you some credits you can transfer to that course.

I've also known a few teachers who teach PT - 4 days out of 5 jobs seem to be available fairly frequently-so I dare say you could use the day off for study.

Have you ever met any teachers who did their masters in a science? Mathematics is my field and although i want to teach, i don't want to stop studying maths.
A lot of teachers do a Masters in their subject BEFORE doing a PGCE. Not sure about after.
Reply 4
Thanks for the response but there is no way i can afford to do a masters before i start work.
Original post by S27
I want to become a teacher but at the same time i don't want to give up the idea of ever doing further study myself. I thought id ask here if anyone has done a masters or Ph.D afterwards and how you did it. i.e did you take a year out for Masters or teach part time etc? Would you do anything differently?

I'm also interested in how common it is for people to do Degree>PGCE>Masters>Ph.D

I did a Masters in maths whilst teaching - I did it part-time but it was fine. You need to be organised as the work-load with teaching full-time was hectic.
Reply 6
Original post by Muttley79
I did a Masters in maths whilst teaching - I did it part-time but it was fine. You need to be organised as the work-load with teaching full-time was hectic.

Phew! I'm so glad someone has done it! I think I'd be tempted to do Masters full time and teach part time.
Original post by S27
Phew! I'm so glad someone has done it! I think I'd be tempted to do Masters full time and teach part time.

Other maths teachers I know have done Masters in Maths ed or similar - many teachers do part-time study because they can't afford full-time study.
I did an MSc right after my BEd.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending