The Student Room Group

Hopeless wanna be medic

I have recently gotten my GCSE results but I majorly messed them up (in terms of medicine that is) I got 1 A* 10 A;s and a B all way below what a good medicine applicant should be.
Im currently doing As level in Bio, chem, physics and latin. My school have basically said that I don;t have a hope in hell of getting into medicine now. I was hoping to apply to St.Andrews, Aberdeen, Durham and Sheffield because they weren't overly focused on GCSE;s and I met the requirements.

Also they said that I probably wont do well enough in AS to get a better consideration, which I think is rubbish because I know I coasted GCSE and Im ready to try harder. Please could anyone give me some advice, I'm very close to giving up medicine completely, I don't want to but I worry that I;m just not good enough.
Reply 1
Original post by Boo_Ayres13
I have recently gotten my GCSE results but I majorly messed them up (in terms of medicine that is) I got 1 A* 10 A;s and a B all way below what a good medicine applicant should be.
Im currently doing As level in Bio, chem, physics and latin. My school have basically said that I don;t have a hope in hell of getting into medicine now. I was hoping to apply to St.Andrews, Aberdeen, Durham and Sheffield because they weren't overly focused on GCSE;s and I met the requirements.

Also they said that I probably wont do well enough in AS to get a better consideration, which I think is rubbish because I know I coasted GCSE and Im ready to try harder. Please could anyone give me some advice, I'm very close to giving up medicine completely, I don't want to but I worry that I;m just not good enough.

Hey,
Your results are nowhere near not good enough for medicine! Not everyone do well in their GCSE and still manage to get into medicine, the key thing is to ace the UKCAT, PS and apply smartly!
And even if you do mess up your A levels there is still postgrad medicine or medicine in Europe.
Please don't give up on your dreams just because you didn't do as well as you hoped at GCSE :smile:

Those grades are fine for most. Although, Oxford, Birmingham and probably UCL are ruled out.

Just make sure you apply to Unis that aren't GCSE-heavy, with a really good UKCAT and/or BMAT, A2 predictions (based on AS grades) and personal statement - they count for a lot!

There is certainly hope as they are quite good results (maybe not Oxford good) but you could certainly apply to most UK medical schools and get (an) offer(s).

Best of luck with your application :smile:

Schools seem to get off on telling people they can't or shouldn't apply for medicine - usually for random incorrect reasons.

Work hard during this year, see how you do in your AS levels and go from there. You've got the right ideas (playing to your strengths, avoiding the GCSE heavy med schools etc) - don't let your school get you down.

If it's your dream don't let anyone tell you not to do it. I had similar GCSE's to you but worked very very hard at AS level.
There will be people in your year with amazing GCSEs but they won't get the A's at A level. Think of it this way you have a clean slate and you want to prove to yourself and to your teachers that your good enough to do Medicine.

btw your GCSE's are absolutely fine. In fact you would score full academic point at places like Liverpool/Lancaster and many medical schools don't pay that much attention to GCSEs.

Forget the past and just try and do the best at your AS levels.

Feel free to PM for anything :smile:
hi, I got AABC at as level and I desperately want to get in, what unis will accept my grades? :/
Original post by justtooordinary
hi, I got AABC at as level and I desperately want to get in, what unis will accept my grades? :/

As long as you're predicted AAA and get a decent UKCAT score, you should be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can I apply to unis asking for AAA?
Original post by justtooordinary
Can I apply to unis asking for AAA?

If you're predicted AAA
And your UKCAT score is okay too
And GCSE results
I also got AABC at AS and I'm still applying 😟

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending