The Student Room Group

Accounting and finance OR computer science?

What degree would you say is better, Accounting and finance OR computer science? what career path has a higher salary? What jobs out of these degrees have a higher salary?
Original post by Dan19983
What degree would you say is better, Accounting and finance OR computer science? what career path has a higher salary? What jobs out of these degrees have a higher salary?

Computer Science.

You can get a job in the city if you studied CS but you can also be a software dev if you want, as it's quite broad and theoretical.

A&F is just really limited to bog standard grad schemes and - if you are at a decent uni - the City

Posted from TSR Mobile
With a computer science degree you can make it big as a senior developer or even through being self-employed and self-sufficient. The knowledge you gain from the course sets you up to create what ever you want in this day of computers. I don't personally do it, but I know people who do. Plus you can break into finance with any degree supposing it's from a good university. Computer science is especially good since it utilises mathematics to an extent which would make you more employable for certain jobs.
Reply 3
Original post by Princepieman
Computer Science.

You can get a job in the city if you studied CS but you can also be a software dev if you want, as it's quite broad and theoretical.

A&F is just really limited to bog standard grad schemes and - if you are at a decent uni - the City

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thankyou, would you say that software development/programmer is a good career route to go down??
Reply 4
Original post by High Stakes
With a computer science degree you can make it big as a senior developer or even through being self-employed and self-sufficient. The knowledge you gain from the course sets you up to create what ever you want in this day of computers. I don't personally do it, but I know people who do. Plus you can break into finance with any degree supposing it's from a good university. Computer science is especially good since it utilises mathematics to an extent which would make you more employable for certain jobs.

thanks for replying, would you say the people you know are making a decent living? Also is the maths hard in computer science??
thanks for replying, would you say the people you know are making a decent living? Also is the maths hard in computer science??

Yeah. Well one of them is living fairly well (middle class) and the other one is crazy rich - but they were super talented in programming. And I can't really comment on the maths in there because I don't really have the knowledge in that area but I do know that the maths involved will be a higher level of 'abstract' maths and will be much different to A level maths.
Thankyou, would you say that software development/programmer is a good career route to go down??

Yes, if you can get a good start at a large company or a high growth startup, you'll be fine. Most software devs I know are based in the US and they are all bringing in $100k+ a year, my friend at Stanford just finished his summer internship at FB and he was paid about $8k a month with free housing.

These are obviously not representative of the UK but the top tech companies here still pay well and the Googles/Facebooks of the world will pay the same as their US coubterparts. If you can't crack top tech, tech consulting companies like Accenture, Capgemini and CHP Consulting all pay very handsomely.

In short, you can make a very nice living as a Software Dev and there is scope to pursue founding your own business.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending