The Student Room Group

Think I may be over my head

Hi,
I started my A-levels last week: Physics, Maths, Chemistry and Biology; only now I am worried that I may be in over my head.

Today, for example, I struggled in Maths (we were doing quadratic factorising/simultaneous equations - never my strong point), and I am worried that I may end up behind. I got a B in my maths GCSE; however I probably would have got an A if I hadn't made several silly mistakes/missed out a crucial question.
Now, I am actually pretty good at Maths, and as I said, what we were doing today isn't exactly a strong point anyway. I am revising all these techniques again, though, as we will have a test in about a fortnight, so that my college can see who isn't cut out for A-level maths.

I would like to study engineering (most likely mechanical) at uni - so I can't exactly afford to drop Maths, nor do I really want to.

Any advice? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Practise until you go to sleep.
Original post by woodworm
Hi,
I started my A-levels last week: Physics, Maths, Chemistry and Biology; only now I am worried that I may be in over my head.

Today, for example, I struggled in Maths (we were doing quadratic factorising/simultaneous equations - never my strong point), and I am worried that I may end up behind. I got a B in my maths GCSE; however I probably would have got an A if I hadn't made several silly mistakes/missed out a crucial question.
Now, I am actually pretty good at Maths, and as I said, what we were doing today isn't exactly a strong point anyway. I am revising all these techniques again, though, as we will have a test in about a fortnight, so that my college can see who isn't cut out for A-level maths.

I would like to study engineering (most likely mechanical) at uni - so I can't exactly afford to drop Maths, nor do I really want to.

If you don't understand something, ask your teacher (or somebody else in your class) or, for maths, you could try seeing if someone does a good job of explaining it on YouTube (which they usually do). And then, it's all about practice - success in Maths really is mainly about practice! Things are inevitably going to go over your head from time to time, it happens to everyone - the important thing is that you're proactive about it (which you seem to be since you're asking for help here!) rather than hoping it just magically solves itself.
Maube maths is not for you.

Give it some more time b4 quiting, you have not been there for long.
Reply 4
Hi,

They are really tough A Levels, no doubt about it. I'd think about what subject you want to do and look at the entry requirements and adjust accordingly. I can't think of anywhere that requires 4 Science subjects. You might want to think about swapping Chemistry (a really hard A Level with limited career prospects) for something like history which is pretty easy.
Reply 5
Original post by cacra
They are really tough A Levels, no doubt about it. I'd think about what subject you want to do and look at the entry requirements and adjust accordingly. I can't think of anywhere that requires 4 Science subjects. You might want to think about swapping Chemistry (a really hard A Level with limited career prospects) for something like history which is pretty easy.

I'm just looking on Birmingham Uni's website - for Mechanical Engineering, the entry requirements are AAB (Maths is required, Physics is 'advantageous', but required if Maths does not include mechanics 1 and 2 - so I will need Physics too).

When I signed up for four A-levels, I was still unsure of what I wanted to do, and wanted all my bases covered (I want to go into STEM). I do regret taking 4 'heavy' science subjects now; I was planning on dropping Biology, as it's not that relevant to what I want to do.:smile:
Give yourself a chance, you've only been doing it a week!
Reply 7
I'm just looking on Birmingham Uni's website - for Mechanical Engineering, the entry requirements are AAB (Maths is required, Physics is 'advantageous', but required if Maths does not include mechanics 1 and 2 - so I will need Physics too).

When I signed up for four A-levels, I was still unsure of what I wanted to do, and wanted all my bases covered (I want to go into STEM). I do regret taking 4 'heavy' science subjects now; I was planning on dropping Biology, as it's not that relevant to what I want to do.:smile:

Biology is the easiest one there imo, if i was you I'd definitely look at dropping Chemistry. I can't see many uses if you want to be a mech engineer.

But yeah, dropping a science is a good idea.
Hi,

I would look into dropping biology. It's the least relevant to engineering - especially mechanical.
Reply 9
Original post by Smack
I would look into dropping biology. It's the least relevant to engineering - especially mechanical.

I am already looking into doing so - thanks. How difficult is biology as opposed to chemistry?
Reply 10
OK, as I posted in another thread, I have a maths test next week that basically determines whether or not we will be able to actually do the A-level course (at the moment we're still recapping Higher GCSE topics). I am currently revising quadratic equations but am finding them horrible. The thing is, I don't want to/can't do away with maths because most of my career choices are dependent on maths at A-level! What can I do? :frown:
Reply 11
Just try hard motivation is key im in a simmilar boat to you but im doing humanity subjects and i need three As next year and feeling demotivated due to not getting desired gcse grades
Reply 12
I wanto study at uni of birm to
Reply 13
Keep maths! When I first did quads/sim equations I was horrible. Couldn't do anything. If you really want to do engineering- I mean really- then I'd say push at it but push harder. Once you drop bio you'll have more time. Find someone who can explain the maths for you, or like mentioned previously, google/youtube/etc. Those work perfectly. Also see if you can have a sit down with your teacher and if they can explain things to you. And practice is key, that's for sure. Don't give up till you got it, pal.
Reply 14
Original post by nserw
Keep maths! When I first did quads/sim equations I was horrible. Couldn't do anything. If you really want to do engineering- I mean really- then I'd say push at it but push harder. Once you drop bio you'll have more time. Find someone who can explain the maths for you, or like mentioned previously, google/youtube/etc. Those work perfectly. Also see if you can have a sit down with your teacher and if they can explain things to you. And practice is key, that's for sure. Don't give up till you got it, pal.

Thanks, mate, you're a big help :smile: I definitely want to drop bio, but I'm not sure if I should wait until after the test, so if I do badly, I have bio to fall back on...

EDIT: Have a thumbs up, pal :wink:
Reply 15
If you haven't already heard of it, www.examsolutions.net is your friend.
Don't be disheartened if you don't understand things at first, as long as you constantly practice and just have faith that eventually you will understand it, you'll be okay. That's just what a-level maths is like tbh. Good luck!
Reply 16
Original post by High Stakes
Practise until you go to sleep.

Worst advice ever?
I am already looking into doing so - thanks. How difficult is biology as opposed to chemistry?

That's subjective to one's personal view point.
Reply 18
Original post by Kob2409
If you haven't already heard of it, www.examsolutions.net is your friend.
Don't be disheartened if you don't understand things at first, as long as you constantly practice and just have faith that eventually you will understand it, you'll be okay. That's just what a-level maths is like tbh. Good luck!

Thanks, I'm just worried that I'll fail this test and I'll get unceremoniously thrown off the A-level maths course (I have to get 70% or more to stay). If I practice these things enough I might be able to scrape by, but the class is HUGE (32), and I have the feeling they might want to slim it down... :frown:
Hi,

You're finding simultaneous equations and factorising hard already?
You might want to have another think about your options because you got a big storm coming if you're already struggling.
Also I wouldn't say sciences are heavy subjects, they're very objective and the only work load is the theory and the maths. Homeworks take less time than eg the essays people do for humanities

Quick Reply

Latest