The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hey! Quick question, I know the Oxford deadlines are the 15th but if I'm not mistaken, the UCAS applications can be sent before or on the 15th but the LNAT results can be sent before or on the 20th right?

Because I booked my LNAT for the 8th since it was the only date available but honestly, the later it is the better. I feel like I need more practice.
Original post by Smithy-Smiths
Ooohh thank you so much! I'm super excited! But I mean Saturday 19th September 2015! It's being referred to as an Oxford Pathways application day! Unfortunately, my history remarked weakened my History grade to a Middle range B, is it still advisable to mention it in my reference?

I hope there are Balliol bags when I go, I just missed out in July! You're definitely selling Balliol to me! Quick question: do you happen to know what kind of Law test Balliol administers to interviewees? For example, Cambridge's test ranged from; problem solving and comprehensions to essays.

If there is a desired admissions style, it would be helpful to know in advance! And do you think my ranking in two of my ASs is worth mentioning in my School reference?

Ahh the LNAT, I've been prepping for that baby for a while now. Although admittedly, I have only sat one paper (limited resources and all) and I scored a not so celebratory 25. But for a first attempt, I'll take what I can get!

Thank you for being absolutely wonderful! I'll try and see if there's any other questions plaguing my mind!

If it's just a mid-range B, I'd just leave it as that, without mentioning the UMS! Definitely have the rankings mentioned though, that kind of thing at worst has no effect, and at best will improve your app.

My friend (an incumbent Finalist lawyer at Balliol) replied with this:

"Two interviews, one is a passage that you discuss, the other is just a normal interview where they get you to discuss whatever they want. Oddly, they didn't ask why I wanted to do law, or anything on my statement. But i don't know if that is particularly good advice to say that they will never ask that sort of stuff".

So the conclusion from that should be to make sure you know about what you've mentioned on your personal statement, but expect that they will give you law-related problems to have a stab at in the interview (nearly all interviews are designed to see how you can think on your feet). I don't think he had any kind of written test, beside the LNAT.
Hi I'm thinking about applying to Oxford for engineering post A levels. I have achieved 4 A*s in Maths, Physics, Chemistry, and Further Maths. I have already been accepted to study Mechanical engineering at Bristol, And I wonder if there is a big difference between Bristol and Oxford for engineering. I'm sure I will enjoy Bristol but it's been a lifelong dream for me to go to Oxford, and now seeing my A levels I'm a bit more confident and I wish I had applied last year. Any advice would be helpful, thanks
Reply 2103
Does anyone know where I can find the costs for accomodation at the different colleges?
Original post by SLMS
Does anyone know where I can find the costs for accomodation at the different colleges?

There are rough averages in the alternative prospectus
Reply 2105
Original post by antigone-
There are rough averages in the alternative prospectus

Oh cool, thank you!
Hey guys, I need some advice as to whether I might have a chance of interview if I applied to oxford. I have finished maths and physics AS and A2 in my AS year achieving an A in physics and a B in maths. I have 85% in physics (94% in as units 76.7% in a2 units) and 76.3% in maths (c1 - 100, c2 - 94, c3 -82, c4 - 62, m1 - 75, m2 - 45. ) I am currently in my a2 year doing further maths and chemistry and I will repeat 2 math units and 1 physics unit. I know competition is fierce in oxford and I dont want to send an application if there is no chance. I want to apply for chemical engineering.
(edited 8 years ago)
There are just ten days to go before the final 2015 Oxford Open Day on Friday September 18th

University publicity here:
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/open-days-outreach/open-events-and-visiting

Check out individual college websites for details of what's on. Ours can be found here:
https://www.bnc.ox.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate-admissions/open-days

We've included some travel information if you need it.

Hope to see you on September 18th!
I'm also planning to attend Hertford's open day (transport allowing!) :smile: It looks beautiful, I can't wait to explore and go the subject specific talk!
Hi

Do you think biology, chemistry and geography A2 would be a strong application for Biological sciences at Oxford ?

Or would it be stronger to have maths to A2 instead of geography

Original post by genevieve44
Hi

Do you think biology, chemistry and geography A2 would be a strong application for Biological sciences at Oxford ?

Or would it be stronger to have maths to A2 instead of geography

They don't seem to have any clear preference between Maths and Geography. The only thing they say is that within their A*AA requirement, the A* needs to be in one of these subjects and as you can see, both Maths and Geography are there so presumably both are fine. Maths skills are always useful for any science course but it doesn't seem like you'd be disadvantaging yourself in any way by taking Geography to A2 so if that's the subject combination you'd prefer, go with it!
For Econ and Mangement at oxford, what sort of marks do you think the top oxford colleges would be looking for in the TSA to invite you to interview? Thank you.
After getting 3 A's and a B at AS level (3 A's in Maths Mechanics, Fine Art, and American History, B in Physics) would it be worth my time applying to Oxford to study Engineering Sciences? I achieved 93 UMS in C1 and C2, and 97 UMS in M1, so I'm predicted a confident A* in Maths. My predicted mark for Physics has now dropped to an A, as I attained a B grade in all Physics coursework and the two exams. I have now dropped Art. I'm considering an EPQ around renewable energy but it might not be worth the effort. My predicted mark for History is an A*.
Please be brutally honest, should I bother applying?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by skylake
For Econ and Mangement at oxford, what sort of marks do you think the top oxford colleges would be looking for in the TSA to invite you to interview? Thank you.

We think we've posted this previously but here are the stats again:

TSA scores for Brasenose applicants (E&M) invited to interview at Oxford

problem solving min 41.6, max 78.7 median 62
critical thinking min 47.6 max 79.4 median 65,3
overall min 49.5 max 74.5 median 62.7

The mean overall TSA result across the University for E&M shortlisted candidates was 67.1 so we think our scores must be representative.

GCSE A*s for interviewees for E&M last year: min 4, max 11, median 10.

As we've commented before, if you think you can get test scores in this ball-park and did well at GCSEs, make sure you don't miss the deadlines for a UCAS application and test registration: 6pm 15th October 2015 (test day itself is 4 November)
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi All! I'm in a slight Panic about my Personal Statement! I've drafted and redrafted my Personal Statement because I'm frightened that it comes off a bit pretentious, but it's honestly not my intent! It's just I have no other way to convey my admiration of the subject and I honestly do speak in a similar manner to my Personal Statement, however, I am fearful that an Admissions tutor would not share my sentiments! Any advice?
Hi All! I'm in a slight Panic about my Personal Statement! I've drafted and redrafted my Personal Statement because I'm frightened that it comes off a bit pretentious, but it's honestly not my intent! It's just I have no other way to convey my admiration of the subject and I honestly do speak in a similar manner to my Personal Statement, however, I am fearful that an Admissions tutor would not share my sentiments! Any advice?

What course are you applying for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
We think we've posted this previously but here are the stats again:

TSA scores for Brasenose applicants (E&M) invited to interview at Oxford

problem solving min 41.6, max 78.7 median 62
critical thinking min 47.6 max 79.4 median 65,3
overall min 49.5 max 74.5 median 62.7

The mean overall TSA result across the University for E&M shortlisted candidates was 67.1 so we think our scores must be representative.

GCSE A*s for interviewees for E&M last year: min 4, max 11, median 10.

As we've commented before, if you think you can get test scores in this ball-park and did well at GCSEs, make sure you don't miss the deadlines for a UCAS application and test registration: 6pm 15th October 2015 (test day itself is 4 November)

All other things being equal, what has the greater weighting in regards to gaining an interview - GCSEs or the TSA?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aasvogel
What course are you applying for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Law, and that's the problem; I know so many Law applicants will fall into the trap of trying to sound as whimsical and as flowery as possible and I don't want to come across as just one of your typical pretentious Law applicants!

It's difficult to say without seeing it, have you asked a teacher what they think about it? If you think you're being "too enthusiastic" about your subject, I wouldn't worry about it - as long as you genuinely are that enthusiastic about it, it will come across in an interview and that will be fine. As long as what you're saying is correct and genuine and you're expressing admiration for your subject rather than sounding like you think you're a world expert on it, you're fine.

A good general piece of advice though is don't use a complicated, long word if a simple one would do. I'm probably guilty of that too but it's still good advice.
Original post by Plagioclase
It's difficult to say without seeing it, have you asked a teacher what they think about it? If you think you're being "too enthusiastic" about your subject, I wouldn't worry about it - as long as you genuinely are that enthusiastic about it, it will come across in an interview and that will be fine. As long as what you're saying is correct and genuine and you're expressing admiration for your subject rather than sounding like you think you're a world expert on it, you're fine.

A good general piece of advice though is don't use a complicated, long word if a simple one would do. I'm probably guilty of that too but it's still good advice.

Thank you so much! You've put my mind at ease! For this evening at least! Yes, as a matter of fact my 3 and a half draft has been distributed amongst three teachers; my former History teacher who has just completed her Masters at Oxford, a former practicing solicitor turned Law teacher and the Teacher in charge of Oxbridge applications; although I hadn't wanted her to read that draft as I realised it may not be up to her exacting standards.

Latest

Trending

Trending