The Student Room Group

Gay Rights!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by StrangeBanana
Actually, that's exactly what it means. The amount people care about the abuses towards a certain group is in direct proportion to the severity of those abuses. Why wouldn't it be?

So, billions of Muslims caring about a ban on wearing the veil is more 'severe' than significantly less Jews caring about violent hate crimes against Jewish people, because of numbers?

Do you think morality should be based on populism?
Original post by slade p
Obviously you don't randomly become gay, but you can choose to be gay or not, just like a pedophile can choose to not sexually abuse children.

You're confusing sexual attraction with sexual acts. :facepalm:
Reply 62
Original post by Lady Comstock
You're confusing sexual attraction with sexual acts. :facepalm:

The point is that homosexuality will lead to negative consequences for society. It should not be legalised or normalised. It's for you to resist these desires and to have a natural family from which you can have a natural family, which is healthy for families, communities,children and provides for a stable functioning society.
Original post by Lady Comstock
So, billions of Muslims caring about a ban on wearing the veil is more 'severe' than significantly less Jews caring about violent hate crimes against Jewish people, because of numbers?

Do you think morality should be based on populism?

No, not at all, actually. Generally, if you say "x is in direct proportion to y", it's implied x is the dependent variable, i.e. x changes according to y, not the other way round. I also didn't say the "amount of people that care", I said the "amount people care", i.e. the amount an average person is likely to care, which has got nothing to do with population-sizes.

Hence, your average Joe is going to care more about a wrong or injustice in the world, the more severe that injustice is. The injustices against Blacks in the 1960s were - on the whole - more heinous than those currently being committed against gay people, so most people would have cared more about the former, had they lived back then, than they do now, about the latter.

Understand, now?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by StrangeBanana
No, not at all, actually. Generally, if you say "x is in direct proportion to y", it's implied x is the dependent variable, i.e. x changes according to y, not the other way round. I also didn't say the "amount of people that care", I said the "amount people care", i.e. the amount an average person is likely to care, which has got nothing to do with population-sizes.

Hence, your average Joe is going to care more about a wrong or injustice in the world, the more severe that injustice is.

Understand, now?

Yet, the amount people 'care' is contextual and influenced by social norms. An average American in 1950s Alabama probably wouldn't have cared much about the persecution of black people, let alone discrimination in employment, etc.

The injustices against Blacks in the 1960s were - on the whole - more heinous than those currently being committed against gay people, so most people would have cared more about the former, had they lived back then, than they do now, about the latter.

Were black people being pushed off high buildings and then stoned to death? Were black people unlawful by virtue of being black?

What is happening to gay people in 2015 is absolutely as heinous as what happened to black people in the 1960s. How you can say it isn't is beyond me.
Original post by slade p
The point is that homosexuality will lead to negative consequences for society. It should not be legalised or normalised. It's for you to resist these desires and to have a natural family from which you can have a natural family, which is healthy for families, communities,children and provides for a stable functioning society.

Any objective evidence to back-up these fanciful claims? All of what you have said thus far has been supposition, presumably based on your own, inherent prejudices.
Original post by slade p
Homosexuality is not normal, it happens because of perverse influences from society.

Honestly, I have nothing more to say to you other than:

Grow.

Up.
Original post by slade p

I'd love to see you preach this utter bull**** if it were you having to repress who you are. Why on earth would anyone put themselves through hell to satisfy ignorant idiots like you? They wouldn't.
Reply 68
Original post by drowzee
Do you know the definition of homosexuality and paedophilia? You can be either and not act on your desires; it is what they are attracted which defines the words, not their actions. Also, many gay men and women have been bought up in the same environment as straight people.

I'm not even to going into this. Do you think I am vile and sinister then? :biggrin:

Do you believe patriarchy is inherently bad?

Do you believe a child will have a better chance of growing up with healthy influences with a man and woman as parents or with homosexual parents?

Do you deny the anti male views,narratives and agenda's of feminists?

Do you deny feminists make up false facts to further their agenda, like denying biological differences between man and woman?

Do you believe feminists want true equality in all its dynamics?

Do you deny that feminists have made up a false narrative of women being victims and oppressed?

Do you deny feminists seek to demonise anyone who doesn't agree which their agenda?

Do you deny that most feminists do not have feminine traits?

The point about homosexuality is that it's bad for society. It will contribute to societal and moral decadence if legalised and normalised. Families,communities, children, morality and male female relations will all suffer if it is.
Reply 69
Original post by ivybridge

Grow.

Up.

How mature of you, typical response, you know you can't refute my general points. You know deep down they are true.
Original post by slade p
How mature of you, typical response, you know you can't refute my general points. You know deep down they are true.

No, I know that I'm on the train and can't be bothered to write a proper response yet. I will do very soon, don't worry. You could not be further from the truth. You're points are illogical, inaccurate, disgusting and prejudiced.

Edit: PLEASE just do not even dare speak to me about maturity when you are saying the things you are saying.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by slade p
Do you believe patriarchy is inherently bad?

Notwithstanding any revisionist-definition of patriarchy, yes.

Do you believe a child will have a better chance of growing up with healthy influences with a man and woman as parents or with homosexual parents?

Study after study after study have all shown that "gay and lesbian parents are at least as good at coping with the demands of parenting".

Your stance is rooted in prejudice, not evidence or a genuine concern for the well-being of children.

Grow.

Up.

Grow up? More like let me drown you in acid.:awesome:
I'd love to see you preach this utter bull**** if it were you having to repress who you are. Why on earth would anyone put themselves through hell to satisfy ignorant idiots like you? They wouldn't.

He does have to repress who he is, he would never dare say this in real life thats why he is being an Internet warrior.
Original post by Rory :)
Being gay is a choice. Being black isn't.

Choose to be gay then and prove it.

:rolleyes:
Original post by driftawaay
He does have to repress who he is, he would never dare say this in real life thats why he is being an Internet warrior.

Yes 😂
Original post by Law-Hopeful
Notwithstanding any revisionist-definition of patriarchy, yes.

Study after study after study have all shown that "gay and lesbian parents are at least as good at coping with the demands of parenting".

Your stance is rooted in prejudice, not evidence or a genuine concern for the well-being of children.

Could you link to the actual studies please, i think its a bit of a cheap shot just to link to articles. Also although gay parents may be able to cope on average better or at the same level as straight parents, that's a appeals to oranges comparison, gay parents all wanted to have kids where as allot of straight parents may not have and gay parents definitely been put thorough allot more social pressure to not become parents. The main focus should not be on whether gay parents can reach the minimum or be better parents than that couple that only married because of a pregnancy it should be whether or not fathers and mothers are interchangeable as parents.
Reply 78
Original post by slade p

Same sex marriage has been legal in the UK for a while now, and I'm yet to see this alleged "negative impact". But go on. Lets hear it...

Original post by democracyforum

The right-hand picture is effeminate, not homosexual. Homosexual is a sexual orientation.

I also struggle to see what's unnatural about acting in an effeminate way. Some people are naturally effeminate in their behaviour as they are rude or timid in their behaviour.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending