The Student Room Group

can you get a 9 and an a* in the same subject?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Original post by harrycarson
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You will get graded either a 9 or an A* depending on wether you are doing the old or new exams :biggrin: Although a 9, is supposed to be harder to get than an A*
Reply 2
Original post by Hayley Williams
You will get graded either a 9 or an A* depending on wether you are doing the old or new exams :biggrin: Although a 9, is supposed to be harder to get than an A*

but if you take your lettered gcse earlier can you still have a number as well
Reply 3
If you are referring to the new grades for GCSE and such, then no. They are trying to phase in this new number system and you may already be using it in maths, English and science, particularly if you start your GCSEs early (qualifying in 2018). The numbered system is INSTEAD of grades, so you will get a grade 7 or 8 rather than a grade A. I believe the idea is that all subjects will change to this system over time, but haven't yet, so pupils in yr 9 and 10 now may receive numbered grades in core subjects, and lettered grades in others.

Hope that makes sense.

An aside note.... teachers hate this change too! Stupid government!
Reply 4
nah you cant. if your sitting the newstyle exams like me in 2017 then you cant achieve a 9 or an a* unless, your school do it differently aka its numbers 1-9 only in maths and English the rest is letters A*-G
Reply 5
Original post by libbyxx
nah you cant. if your sitting the newstyle exams like me in 2017 then you cant achieve a 9 or an a* unless, your school do it differently aka its numbers 1-9 only in maths and English the rest is letters A*-G

same i'm taking it 2017
Reply 6
You cannot get both a Grade 9 and an A* in the same subject. The new 9-1 applies for the new GCSEs in Maths and English Lit+Lan for current Y10s and the other subjects will remain A*-G for Y10s.
You could in theory, but only if you don't take them in the same year, so eg if you took maths early (this year) and got an A* and then took the new exam in 2017 and got a 9. Not many schools would do this though.
Reply 8
Original post by ETbuymilkandeggs
Post the question once and wait for an answer. Don't make 4 individual threads.

ohhh, sorry buy et milk and eggs. i'm ever so sorry for upsetting you by 'making 4 individual threads'
Reply 9
Original post by liv_div
If you are referring to the new grades for GCSE and such, then no. They are trying to phase in this new number system and you may already be using it in maths, English and science, particularly if you start your GCSEs early (qualifying in 2018). The numbered system is INSTEAD of grades, so you will get a grade 7 or 8 rather than a grade A. I believe the idea is that all subjects will change to this system over time, but haven't yet, so pupils in yr 9 and 10 now may receive numbered grades in core subjects, and lettered grades in others.

Hope that makes sense.

An aside note.... teachers hate this change too! Stupid government!

why dont teachers like it
Reply 10
Original post by Lemur14
You could in theory, but only if you don't take them in the same year, so eg if you took maths early (this year) and got an A* and then took the new exam in 2017 and got a 9. Not many schools would do this though.

True but again as you've stated most schools now no longer enter students to sit exams early seeming that they've scrapped the modules.
Original post by JTran38
True but again as you've stated most schools now no longer enter students to sit exams early seeming that they've scrapped the modules.

Our school will be entering students in early, but they're not for our year (they want us to get 9s) and the year below us (they want a cohort to go through first).
Reply 12
Original post by harrycarson
why dont teachers like it

Because we've got to get our heads round the new system too. Just like you will be unsure exactly what a level 7 or 8 or 9 is, we also have to work it out. Is 8 better or worse than an 'old school' A*? What percentage deserves a 7 or B or whatever. What is an A**? The grades don't directly correspond to letters; it's not as simple as 8=A*, 7=B, 6=C etc.
It just changes everything we've been doing for years and creates yet more work.

Quick Reply

Latest