The Student Room Group

A level students :) What are you going to do differently this year at year 13?

Hey guys,
AS exams did not go well for many of my friends and I so we were reflecting over to see what went wrong. If you were reflecting back on last year- what do you wish you had done differently? I.e doing more past papers, more notes, not stressing as much etc? But how do you plan to make things different this year?

Please feel free to share your goals and aspirations for next year :smile: It would be great to hear them as I think it's inspiring to see how people reflect and overcome situations. So to those continuing with exams, reflecting from last year and the exams you sat in May, what would you change or do differently from here on, preparing for the exams in 2016 or change in terms of attitude, thinking and mentality?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
More Yelawolf and Professor Green

Posted from TSR Mobile
Focus more on my work. Enjoy my last year of schooling and to stop worrying about other people's opinions.
Reply 3
Actually consolidate my learning, good lord
I think my AS exams taught me the importance of exam practice. I managed to get two A's in my Chemistry exams, both of which weren't easy compared to my Unit 1 Psychology exam which I got a C in (despite being amazingly easy). I think in my opinion, it was exam practice that allowed me to get that A in Chemistry though. I geered myself more on exam practice for Chemistry than Psychology and Biology so yeah, exam practice is super important.

Independent Work is also really important too, I've decided this year, I'm gonna be doing much more independent work than previously, probably plan on writing all my notes from now til December and start exam practice for all my subjects hopefully by October/November time
Reply 5
'More fall out boy! Much more fall out boy!'
'More Yelawolf and Professor Green.'

LOL you guys are something else :tongue:
This is what me and my friends would aim for in our perfect world but when we remember university, entry requirements and that it's 9/ 10 months till it's all over- it's study time lol.
Reply 6
Original post by Cherry82
'More fall out boy! Much more fall out boy!'
'More Yelawolf and Professor Green.'

LOL you guys are something else :tongue:
This is what me and my friends would aim for in our perfect world but when we remember university, entry requirements and that it's 9/ 10 months till it's all over- it's study time lol.

I just know that I perform better when I'm not stressing myself out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Andy98
I just know that I perform better when I'm not stressing myself out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yea, I totally agree as that's the same with me. For me personally, whenever I stress out I tend to over think and forget things, panicking my butt off but when I'm relaxed I tend to think more rationally.
Reply 8
Original post by Cherry82
Yea, I totally agree as that's the same with me. For me personally, whenever I stress out I tend to over think and forget things, panicking my butt off but when I'm relaxed I tend to think more rationally.

Exactly, and music keeps my ass grounded

Posted from TSR Mobile
Know my limits. Do more past papers. TAKE MORE EFFECTIVE NOTES. Don't listen to the students making fun of you for studying. Good lord if I just pulled the finger on them and continued to work hard I would not be in the position I'm in today haha.

The biggest one would be, when you're doing a past paper, self mark it, then ask your teacher to mark it, then ask a teacher who is an examiner to mark it. Keep doing that with all the past papers until you actually get it all right.

For Art based subjects... do the work BEFORE it's due. Use half terms to visit art galleries for your portfolio, If you teacher tells you to do 3 experiments, make 5. Stay behind after school hours if your college lets you. I did all of this only 2 months before my final exam and I'm sure that if I did it sooner I would have gotten a much higher grade than I did.
Reply 10
Original post by minaeshi
Know my limits. Do more past papers. TAKE MORE EFFECTIVE NOTES. Don't listen to the students making fun of you for studying. Good lord if I just pulled the finger on them and continued to work hard I would not be in the position I'm in today haha.

The biggest one would be, when you're doing a past paper, self mark it, then ask your teacher to mark it, then ask a teacher who is an examiner to mark it. Keep doing that with all the past papers until you actually get it all right.

For Art based subjects... do the work BEFORE it's due. Use half terms to visit art galleries for your portfolio, If you teacher tells you to do 3 experiments, make 5. Stay behind after school hours if your college lets you. I did all of this only 2 months before my final exam and I'm sure that if I did it sooner I would have gotten a much higher grade than I did.

Hahaha, I defo agree with the "Don't listen to the students making fun of you for studying" - last year they really made me feel like a real "try hard" did ok but could of done much better. Good Advice !!
Original post by 98emma
Hahaha, I defo agree with the "Don't listen to the students making fun of you for studying" - last year they really made me feel like a real "try hard" did ok but could of done much better. Good Advice !!

One thing that would annoy me is when they would laugh at me for using multicolored pens and sticky notes when I took notes in my class. That was my way of revising but I stupidly stopped doing it in hopes that they would stop picking on me. Biggest mistake ever. Should have told them all to f*ck off and just get on with my work lmao :colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest