The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Can't afford my accomodation

I'm getting £4216 for my student loan, which doesn't cover my accommodation for Opal Gardens (~£5280). My mum doesn't want me to worry about getting paid work, so I have to move out and live in private accommodation. Neither of my parents can afford to help me with my living costs.

Does anyone know any accommodation that is that cheap that I won't have to work, or better yet, does anyone have any better ideas? I'm more worried about dealing with landlords and transport fees, but I haven't found anything that would leave me enough money to eat/pay my phone bill as well.

PS: She won't let me stay in Fallowfield either.
Are you not eligible for a maintenance grant or any bursaries? If your parents earn too much for you to be eligible for extra money, the idea is that they're supposed to help you with living costs. Also, why does your Mum think she has the right to dictate where you live and whether or not you get a job when she's not even contributing anything? And why has she got a problem with Fallowfield and part-time work in the first place?

If you've already accepted your accommodation offer, withdrawing from halls isn't a great option. You'll lose your deposit and will be responsible for the entire year's rent unless you can find someone else to take your place who isn't already in university accommodation. You could try to find someone in a cheaper hall to swap rooms with you or request to be transferred in October but I imagine all of the halls are probably too expensive for you.

I really wouldn't advise leaving halls but if you really have to, I'd recommend looking on Manchester Student Homes for people who have spare rooms available. A room in a shared house is the only kind of accommodation that's going to be significantly cheaper than halls. Even then, you're going to struggle to live on just £4,216 for the entire year.

Overall, I can't really see you being able to live on such a small amount of money, regardless of which type of accommodation you end up in, unless your parents contribute something or you get a part-time job.
(edited 8 years ago)
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
Are you not eligible for a maintenance grant or any bursaries?

I was last year. Apparently my parent's finances have changed, and therefore my £7249 had its grant sliced off this year. Plus I owe then £807 because they think I wasn't a student for the summer period. Short version: I transferred universities in an odd way.

If your parents earn too much for you to be eligible for extra money, the idea is that they're supposed to help you with living costs. Also, why does your Mum think she has the right to dictate where you live and whether or not you get a job when she's not even contributing anything? And why has she got a problem with Fallowfield and part-time work in the first place?

I told them that already, but they said they can't afford to. They're not seeing eye-to-eye (sugar-coated), and they have their mortgage to deal with. I can't argue with my mum once she has an idea in her head. I'm already pissing her off by switching unis.

If you've already accepted your accommodation offer, withdrawing from halls isn't a great option. You'll lose your deposit and will be responsible for the entire year's rent unless you can find someone else to take your place who isn't already in university accommodation. You could try to find someone in a cheaper hall to swap rooms with you or request to be transferred in October but I imagine all of the halls are probably too expensive for you.

That's what I thought, and I definitely can't pay two rent on two places at once, and even the cheapest of uni halls don't leave me with enough to live on.

I really wouldn't advise leaving halls but if you really have to, I'd recommend looking on Manchester Student Homes for people who have spare rooms available. A room in a shared house is the only kind of accommodation that's going to be significantly cheaper than halls. Even then, you're going to struggle to live on just £4,216 for the entire year.

Overall, I can't really see you being able to live on such small amount of money, regardless of which type of accommodation you end up in, unless your parents contribute something or you get a part-time job.

Yeah, I don't like my options, but if I'm going to stay in halls I need to do some research into cheaper places, or my mum won't get off my case. I'll see what MSH has on offer, but I doubt anyone is going to take my room off me...

Thanks for the help :smile:
Original post by melvisntnormal
I'm getting £4216 for my student loan, which doesn't cover my accommodation for Opal Gardens (~£5280). My mum doesn't want me to worry about getting paid work, so I have to move out and live in private accommodation. Neither of my parents can afford to help me with my living costs.

Does anyone know any accommodation that is that cheap that I won't have to work, or better yet, does anyone have any better ideas? I'm more worried about dealing with landlords and transport fees, but I haven't found anything that would leave me enough money to eat/pay my phone bill as well.

why dont u do transfer halls?
Reply 4
If your mum cant help you out financially shes not really in a position to tell you not to find a job.
Original post by Minamenae
why dont u do transfer halls?

Because I can't find a uni hall that leaves me with enough to live on.

Original post by pmprin
If your mum cant help you out financially shes not really in a position to tell you not to find a job.

Her fear is that I'll get addicted to the money, and focus on making money rather than what I want to do in the future. She wants me to do unpaid work in the industry I want to go into (I'm studying CS&Maths w/ FY), but doesn't seem to understand that my course requires me to take a year out and work in industry (see http://www.cs.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/computer-science-and-mathematics/?code=00490&pg=home)
Reply 6

You're an adult. You need to stay somewhere you can afford and if that is Fallowfield then go there. I don't understand how you're potentially living in a place with no financial support from your parents (which is fine they have their own financial situation) but then to be told you can't have a part time job or stay in a cheaper hall which is in your budget? I'm not being funny but if I were them I would be happy my child is at university and not hindering them due to accommodation. Go get a job/change halls/inform the university about your situation and see if you can apply to some sort of hardship funds which is reserved for all universities. You really don't need your parents input on that.

At the end of the day when you leave university and living by yourself your mum can't really say don't go with bt broadband and don't work in this place etc. You have to live by your means and it's great that you are already considering budgeting and how best to manage your money. They should be proud.
Reply 7

Her fear is that I'll get addicted to the money, and focus on making money rather than what I want to do in the future.

But how can you get addicted if it's just going to cover the cost of accommodation that you can't afford to stay in? Why don't you just get your wages paid into your mums account or something and then she can just give you enough to cover the rent and she can put the rest in a savings account?
Reply 8
Because I can't find a uni hall that leaves me with enough to live on.

Her fear is that I'll get addicted to the money, and focus on making money rather than what I want to do in the future. She wants me to do unpaid work in the industry I want to go into (I'm studying CS&Maths w/ FY), but doesn't seem to understand that my course requires me to take a year out and work in industry (see http://www.cs.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/computer-science-and-mathematics/?code=00490&pg=home)

Would she be happier if you were homeless? I don't get it. Personally I would get a job. I got a job and got work experience at the same time whilst maintaining a first.
Original post by Age
But how can you get addicted if it's just going to cover the cost of accommodation that you can't afford to stay in? Why don't you just get your wages paid into your mums account or something and then she can just give you enough to cover the rent and she can put the rest in a savings account?

She uses my dad as an example here: they're both African and came to this country several years ago. My dad wanted to do marketing, but he had to earn money so he worked in restaurants for a while (my mum says he was following his friends into making money). At some point, he got too deep into the restaurant business, something he didn't want to do, and now he can't get out of it. I'm not sure if that's the full story but my mum is afraid the same would happen to me.

I'd rather she didn't have control of my money. Then again, I've been reading /r/raisedbynarcissists a lot lately. I might just be paranoid.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
She uses my dad as an example here: they're both African and came to this country several years ago. My dad wanted to do marketing, but he had to earn money so he worked in restaurants for a while (my mum says he was following his friends into making money). At some point, he got too deep into the restaurant business, something he didn't want to do, and now he can't get out of it. I'm not sure if that's the full story but my mum is afraid the same would happen to me.

I'd rather she didn't have control of my money. Then again, I've been reading /r/raisedbynarcissists a lot lately. I might just be paranoid.

I completely understand your mothers fears about the money trap but is she expecting you to be homeless? I think your mum having control over your money would be better if it gives her peace of mind that you will not sidetrack from your career plans
Exactly. Find the whole situation really odd and Almost laughable. From what I understand there's been an increase in your parents Salary yet they can't help you at all? My mum was a single parent and she managed to help but anyway that aside you NEED a part time job or you won't be focusing on your studies at all. Ie you will be homeless. You need to set this out to your mum in a very concise and rational way. Not sure what age you are but its strikes me as odd your mum having such a say in where you live considering she isn't going to be the one paying the rent.
Reply 12
Tell her you've found some great alternative accommodation and show her the homeless camp in Manchester, because that's the realistic alternative.

The money trap is one thing but if you're working a job which specifically allows you to continue your studies (a position hundreds of thousands of students are in) then it's a worthwhile sacrifice and an investment in to your future. If your mother cannot comprehend this, get yourself a job and say nothing - you're an adult.
look - I completely sympathise with your situation. I get almost exactly the same maintenance loan, and my preferred accommodation is around £5,600. Don't forget that these loans cover the whole year, and doing the maths, you need to be earning around £21 weekly to afford the whole housing thing on your own. I know it's daunting, but that is maybe 7 hours max of part time work a week, if my maths is correct. My friends are doing 15-20 hours a week! I know your mum doesn't want you to get a part time job, but that is a rather - I'm sorry to be rude- ridiculous request, especially if she cannot afford to cover it for you.It's annoying, but you NEED a part time job. Balance your time well, and this will not be a problem. Do not listen to what your mother thinks in this particular instance - it's either a part time job, or homelessness and starvation. I hope this all works out for you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending