The Student Room Group

Why are British youth so right wing?

Like just go to any university or on any forum, the white youth, they are so racist and nationalistic unlike the older generation in England. Ironically though they may be vegetarian while supporting the genocide of non white humans, their deportation or race/religious based discrimination.

Scroll to see replies

That's just not true. Older people are generally more racist than younger people.
Reply 2
You've obviously never heard of the NUS.
Reply 3
Original post by United1892
That's just not true. Older people are generally more racist than younger people.

If that's the case why is every edl or bnp really filled with young people who b are usually drunk

Not so much these days. There has been a clear shift in the political sensibilities of the latest generations to the right; a hangover from the dog-eat-dog Thatcher years.
Original post by Genevaniamey
If that's the case why is every edl or bnp really filled with young people who b are usually drunk

There generally drunk middle aged men rather than young.
Like just go to any university or on any forum, the white youth, they are so racist and nationalistic unlike the older generation in England. Ironically though they may be vegetarian while supporting the genocide of non white humans, their deportation or race/religious based discrimination.

who supports genocide of 'non white humans' - (as opposed to non white anything else).

where is the discrimination based on race or religion outside of the criticism of islam? you should say islamophobic instead of making out it is a 'non white' thing since it misleads the audience.
Personally I have always found England to be a very nationalistic country, probably the most in western Europe. While I am not sure that I believe that the younger generations are more racist, I certainly think they are more right-wing. That being said though, England as a whole is a right-wing country.
Reply 8
Original post by AverageExcellence
who supports genocide of 'non white humans' - (as opposed to non white anything else).

where is the discrimination based on race or religion outside of the criticism of islam? you should say islamophobic instead of making out it is a 'non white' thing since it misleads the audience.

Well there is obviously nothing wrong with criticizing a religion like Islam or Christianity, what is wrong is taking the hate and discrimination to the followersm. I'm not a muslim anyway.
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
Not so much these days. There has been a clear shift in the political sensibilities of the latest generations to the right; a hangover from the dog-eat-dog Thatcher years.

Maybe, they are possibly more right wing wouldnt say more racist though.

Who is advocating any of this? Except the BNP, whose vote has collapsed.

What is wrong with being nationalist?

The SNP are nationalists, but I bet you won’t have a problem with this.

Nationalist Racist
Original post by IamLiquid
Who is advocating any of this? Except the BNP, whose vote has collapsed.

What is wrong with being nationalist?

The SNP are nationalists, but I bet you won’t have a problem with this.

Nationalist Racist

Well I'm not too fond of the snp but they v advocate more cultural nationalism unlike the ethnic nationalism in england.
Maybe, they are possibly more right wing wouldnt say more racist though.

Yeah, this is harder for me to decide, on a personal level. You can talk about your (further to the) right-wing views openly, but racism tends to be hidden and inferred at best (disregarding the internet).
Reply 13

That's patently a ridiculous argument. Even if it's true (which is highly debatable) that every edl/bnp rally is filled with young people; it does not logically follow that every young person is associated with the bnp/edl. You'll also notice that whenever there's an edl/bnp rally, the 'counter-protest' is usually significantly larger and is overwhelmingly made up of...young people!

Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad

How are you measuring this clear shift to the right, because the % vote share for left and centre left parties among the 18-30 demographic is increasing on a pretty steady basis and I'd say that's the best barometer.
I just find the thread title interesting. But if it isn't any bother would you enlighten me about being 'right wing'? what does it mean exactly?
Are you serious? Students are probably the most irritatingly left wing people you can get.
Original post by brittanna
Are you serious? Students are probably the most irritatingly left wing people you can get.

Nothing like a good bit of generalisation there. I suppose that the most right-wing Conservatives were also suddenly left-wing at uni?
Your entire hypothesis is wrong. The NUS as already mentioned is a massive lefty circle jerk with no shortage of Jass Hands. In fact they go as far to ban certain universities from ever joining if they do not conform to their lefty ideals.
Seriously? The older generations aren't racist? Being right wing doesn't naturally correspond with being racist. I identify as right wing but being very honest with myself, I certainly would not consider myself a racist.
The only surprisingly consistent right-wing view held by students at my school was their support for the death penalty. It freaked me out when I first realised it, I thought we'd moved on from that like we did from voteless women and slavery...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending