The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Poshness at Bristol- your experiences

Scroll to see replies

You will find 'okay yahs' at all British Unis.Their daft accent tends to mellow fairly quickly as they realise they stand out a mile and they are as keen to fit in as anyone else.

The majority don't show off about either which school they went to or about activities that might suggest a wealthy background. However, if you hear anyone showing off about their whopping great 'allowance' whilst at Uni or loudly announcing they 'off to Verbiers with Sebastian this weekend' you have my full encouragement to point out their lack of social sensitivity and gross bad manners in any way you feel appropriate.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
PS. There is a great deal of silliness about 'Wills' as though its some some of personal credibility test.

Its a 'traditional' hall and the building is beautiful. The idea that it is some sort of bastion of public school toffs is however total nonsense. This does not however stop the 'where did you Prep?' types think that 'getting into Wills' is like being accepted by a premier Oxbridge college, ie. a test of their social or intellectual superiority.

In reality, the Accom Office make a determined effort to ensure a social/racial/gender mix as they do al ALL Uni accommodation, and in recent years those from state schools have dominated Wills and all the other supposedly posh Halls. It doesn't however stop this sort of 'oh wow, you got into Wills' cobblers from the really immature, as though its some sort of stupid 'I'm top/clever/innately superior' indicator. It ISN'T, an allocation to Wills is totally random.
Original post by returnmigrant
PS. There is a great deal of silliness about 'Wills' as though its some some of personal credibility test.

Its a 'traditional' hall and the building is beautiful. The idea that it is some sort of bastion of public school toffs is however total nonsense. This does not however stop the 'where did you Prep?' types think that 'getting into Wills' is like being accepted by a premier Oxbridge college, ie. a test of their social or intellectual superiority.

In reality, the Accom Office make a determined effort to ensure a social/racial/gender mix as they do al ALL Uni accommodation, and in recent years those from state schools have dominated Wills and all the other supposedly posh Halls. It doesn't however stop this sort of 'oh wow, you got into Wills' cobblers from the really immature, as though its some sort of stupid 'I'm top/clever/innately superior' indicator. It ISN'T, an allocation to Wills is totally random.

Are you even a student
From experience, Churchill has snobbier people.

Most of the people at Wills that I've made were rich, yeah, but they were absolutely lovely people. I've disliked most of the people i know from Churchill.

I wasn't even asked if i went to a private or state school in freshers...so clearly OP just had a terrible experience!
It is not that different to other Russell Group universities to be honest. Though I did notice a distinct difference between undergraduates and postgraduates. Most people are nice on their own as you would expect.
Original post by InadequateJusticex
From experience, Churchill has snobbier people.

Most of the people at Wills that I've made were rich, yeah, but they were absolutely lovely people. I've disliked most of the people i know from Churchill.

I wasn't even asked if i went to a private or state school in freshers...so clearly OP just had a terrible experience!

I've got to the stage now that rather than let people ask me, I simply ask them to guess. It's quite interesting to see people try to work out where your from and your background from the little information they know. If you get an answer you don't like then you know you've got to make it less/more clear that you went to a state school. :P

FYI: People sit staring at me for about three minuets before tentatively suggesting that I'm Grammar schooled. The tweed is working :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Rubgish
Very few people miss offers for oxbridge

What utter nonsense.
Original post by returnmigrant
What utter nonsense.

I don't have any stats to hand but I'm pretty sure that what @Rubgish said is true.

@jneill, do you know what happened to the Cambridge application statistics page that showed the no. of applicants per college/subject etc? I can't seem to find it for some reason. :redface:
Reply 48
Original post by Law-Hopeful
I don't have any stats to hand but I'm pretty sure that what @Rubgish said is true.

@jneill, do you know what happened to the Cambridge application statistics page that showed the no. of applicants per college/subject etc? I can't seem to find it for some reason. :redface:

[Confirming to : @Rubgish, @returnmigrant ]

Yes, very few miss their offers at Cambridge - except for Maths. In fact most exceed their offers.

In 2014, 772 students out of 4420 missed their offer (17% of offers were missed)
Of which 296 where for Maths. (38% of all misses)
So, excluding Maths, approx 10% of Offers are missed.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/apply/statistics
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Very few miss their offers - except for Maths. In fact most exceed their offers.

In 2014, 772 out of 4420 missed their offer (17% of offers were missed)
Of which 296 where for Maths. (38% of all misses)
So, excluding Maths, approx 10% of Offers are missed.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/apply/statistics

Perfect, thank you. :smile:
Watch UBTV stuff on YouTube and you'll know how posh it is
Mostly internationals when they only make up roughly 10% of the student population. Hmm, I wonder which source people would trust, the statistic provided by the university or some racist keyboard warrior?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by InadequateJusticex
Mostly internationals when they only make up roughly 10% of the student population. Hmm, I wonder which source people would trust, the statistic provided by the university or some racist keyboard warrior?

It's just low quality bait. Looking though his post history he seems to do this a lot, at best he's trying to get a reaction, although most probably he's just a no-lifer doing this for the good times. Best thing you can do is just ignore and move on.

I mean, we've all got to do something to pass the time over the summer holiday :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Mostly international rich kids/posh Chinese. I live here and the whole posh white thing is very over exagerrated.
Reply 54
I'm a fresher, and honestly, I did not expect it to be so posh. It is much posher than I expected and at times I do feel like a bit of an outcast considering the vast majority of people here have gone to private or boarding school. If I had the chance to repick my university firm, I would not choose Bristol...
Original post by ccc1199
I'm a fresher, and honestly, I did not expect it to be so posh. It is much posher than I expected and at times I do feel like a bit of an outcast considering the vast majority of people here have gone to private or boarding school. If I had the chance to repick my university firm, I would not choose Bristol...

Literally my same experience, although it made me want to stay even more. To leave would just be accepting/giving into the b******t that goes on.
Reply 56
Original post by TheMoralStruggle
Mostly international rich kids/posh Chinese. I live here and the whole posh white thing is very over exagerrated.

The Chinese thing is just out of control isn't it?
Original post by OneUmmah
The Chinese thing is just out of control isn't it?

Because they pay more money than the rest of us.. it's only logical that the University would want to flood itself with them for the extra funding. What they don't think about is how the deluge of rich-chinese students is screwing with the property market. The majority of private-halls are now billed as 'luxury' to appeal to said students, their viewed as a cash cow.

The Chinese seem to contribute little to the University, few integrate and most lock themselves away. When I've seen Chinese students try to integrate it usually ends in disaster (I've had to get a crying Chinese girl home after her first visit to a nightclub)

It's a pity really.
Is it really that bad? Do state school students not fit in?
Original post by Pocapoca
Is it really that bad? Do state school students not fit in?

I'd say it's exaggerated a bit - there are loads of posh people but there's so many people at uni that you're never really forced to hang out with them. I'm from a state school and I've found many people like myself, and obviously not every posh person is a ****, I've met loads of nice rich kids.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending