The Student Room Group

Should there be a ban on employers hiring EU citizens to do low skilled work

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _icecream
And instead of employing EU citizens they should give the job to an unemployed British citizen instead(..This is to do with low skilled work btw)

No, we should simply leave the EU and problem solved

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 61
Original post by paul514
No, we should simply leave the EU and problem solved

Posted from TSR Mobile

That won't stop Brits refusing to do low paid work, it just means employers will get their workers from the black market, e.g. illegal immigrants and the country will lose taxes and still have to pay benefits to lazy Brits.
Original post by Maker
That won't stop Brits refusing to do low paid work, it just means employers will get their workers from the black market, e.g. illegal immigrants and the country will lose taxes and still have to pay benefits to lazy Brits.

1 that is supposing all Brits are lazy. They aren't

2 once the tap of cheap labour is turned off demand for workers will rise and therefore conditions/pay will also rise

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 63
A policy change making it illegal for employers to employ low skilled EU workers over British workers for fears about wage compression is like burning down your house because you've found a spider inside. It's a shot sighted overreaction that would have disastrous ramifications.

The most blindingly obvious problem with this plan is that according to Government and ONS figures the number of low skilled migrants working in the United Kingdom is higher than total unemployment. Granted, 60% of these migrant workers are from outside the EEA but:

A) The ratio of low migrant workers from Europe as a percentage of the whole is steadily increasing.
B) Legislating against employers employing European workers would be much more difficult, we can logically assume that if the government did so, they'd have already done the same for non-European migrants.

Admittedly B is an assumption. If it's right, the immediate implication if we legislated against all low skilled would be 200,000 empty jobs which would be a drain on our economy and particularly damaging to the social care sector which is already on its knees - and that's assuming every single unemployed person takes a job.

Even if my assumption B is wrong, the result is still the same but we're faced with the problem 5 years from now rather than now.

There's plenty of problems with immigration - my biggest issue is wage suppression. I find a good solution to combat wage suppression would be to legislate on wage suppression though, personally.
Very few, british citizens experience that by claiming benefits, they can earn more money by not working. This is why they do not want to work.

Why would you want to work, when you can earn more money claiming benefits? It all stems from the UK government being too nice...

Perhaps, if the government cut benefits, from the people who are 'playing the system', then these british citizens will be forced to work, whether it's high or low skilled jobs.

Something needs to be addressed, I watched a documentary on Channel 4 a few weeks ago, where we had Bulgarian citizens, being unemployed in their home country, registering as unemployed in the UK, and sending all the benefits back to Bulgaria. They had to live in the UK for a certain amount of time before they could claim unemployment benefits (not sure how long it was), and because this person had six children back in Bulgaria, they were claiming a combined total of nearly £3,000 per month.

The benefits should be here in place for the disabled (who physically cannot work), Mental health reasons, the elderly, and temporary measures for those trying to find a job, or who cannot work for the time being due to child responsiblities.

This is no way discriminating anyone. I'm a British citizen, working hard and want to be successful.

- Low skilled jobs should be given priority to UK citizens because it is our country. If they're any left over jobs, because there's not enough British people to fill the vacancies, then that's when we can advertise for international applicants -

No offence intentionally caused.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by CharlieK94
Very few, british citizens experience that by claiming benefits, they can earn more money by not working. This is why they do not want to work.

Why would you want to work, when you can earn more money claiming benefits? It all stems from the UK government being too nice...

Perhaps, if the government cut benefits, from the people who are 'playing the system', then these british citizens will be forced to work, whether it's high or low skilled jobs.

Something needs to be addressed, I watched a documentary on Channel 4 a few weeks ago, where we had Bulgarian citizens, being unemployed in their home country, registering as unemployed in the UK, and sending all the benefits back to Bulgaria. They had to live in the UK for a certain amount of time before they could claim unemployment benefits (not sure how long it was), and because this person had six children back in Bulgaria, they were claiming a combined total of nearly £3,000 per month.

The benefits should be here in place for the disabled (who physically cannot work), the elderly, and temporary measures for those trying to find a job, or who cannot work for the time being due to child responsiblities.

This is no way discriminating anyone. I'm a British citizen, working hard and want to be successful.

- Low skilled jobs should be given priority to UK citizens because it is our country. If they're any left over jobs, because there's not enough British people to fill the vacancies, then that's when we can advertise for international applicants -

Missed not able to work for mental health reasons

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514
Missed not able to work for mental health reasons

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry! Will ammend now :smile:
Reply 67
Original post by CharlieK94

The benefits should be here in place for the disabled (who physically cannot work), Mental health reasons, the elderly, and temporary measures for those trying to find a job, or who cannot work for the time being due to child responsiblities.

Many recruitment agencies recruit and advertise low skilled work in some EU countries. They advertise in their own language for job vacancies in the UK. Which is completely wrong, by doing so they are discriminating against UK applicants. I would personally ban recruitment agencies and force employers to work with the job centre to directly recruit people. That will create full employment in no time for any one who wants to work

I also watched one documentary about Eastern European sending Child tax credits back home for their children that don't even live in the UK. The polish lady even said that she found the UK gov too generous for paying her that amount of money even though she doesn't live with her husband who works in the UK, the cost of living in these countries is really low
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 68
Original post by Flibib
A policy change making it illegal for employers to employ low skilled EU workers over British workers for fears about wage compression is like burning down your house because you've found a spider inside. It's a shot sighted overreaction that would have disastrous ramifications.

The most blindingly obvious problem with this plan is that according to Government and ONS figures the number of low skilled migrants working in the United Kingdom is higher than total unemployment. Granted, 60% of these migrant workers are from outside the EEA but:

A) The ratio of low migrant workers from Europe as a percentage of the whole is steadily increasing.
B) Legislating against employers employing European workers would be much more difficult, we can logically assume that if the government did so, they'd have already done the same for non-European migrants.

Admittedly B is an assumption. If it's right, the immediate implication if we legislated against all low skilled would be 200,000 empty jobs which would be a drain on our economy and particularly damaging to the social care sector which is already on its knees - and that's assuming every single unemployed person takes a job.

Even if my assumption B is wrong, the result is still the same but we're faced with the problem 5 years from now rather than now.

There's plenty of problems with immigration - my biggest issue is wage suppression. I find a good solution to combat wage suppression would be to legislate on wage suppression though, personally.

If Britain did ban low skilled EU workers, EU countries would retaliate and ban low skilled British in EU countries and many would have to return to Britain to take up low skilled jobs so that would decrease wages.
Why would you ban EU citizens from employment?
If they have a work permit that allows them to gain part or full time work, and they meet all the requirements for that job, then they should be able to do it.

A lot of people make the argument of 'British jobs for British people' - which is *******s: just because you are British does not mean you are more entitled to a job than a expatriate from Poland is.
Reply 70
Original post by Maker
If Britain did ban low skilled EU workers, EU countries would retaliate and ban low skilled British in EU countries and many would have to return to Britain to take up low skilled jobs so that would decrease wages.

And you wouldn't see hundreds of thousands of Brits going to Poland/Bulgaria every year just to work in a low skilled job.
I would say banning countries that have a lower minimum wage than us would be a sensible idea.
Reply 71
Original post by _icecream
And you wouldn't see hundreds of thousands of Brits going to Poland/Bulgaria every year just to work in a low skilled job.
I would say banning countries that have a lower minimum wage than us would be a sensible idea.

The EU dosen't allow discrimination based on nationality.
Original post by KommunistCake
Why would you ban EU citizens from employment?
If they have a work permit that allows them to gain part or full time work, and they meet all the requirements for that job, then they should be able to do it.

A lot of people make the argument of 'British jobs for British people' - which is *******s: just because you are British does not mean you are more entitled to a job than a expatriate from Poland is.

Entitled isnt the correct word, looked over because you are British is.

I like many have zero problem with the best person for a job, but if we already have workers who want to work, and people are choosing to come across to take that very same job KNOWING that there already is people here suitable and willing to work then that is unnacceptable.

The people who do often are in denial and/or thinking of themselves too many times have I had an argument with a Polish person who says ALL British workers are lazy and they are ONLY doing jobs people dont want.

Well I imagine no one wanted the Sky and Virgin installation jobs around here, or working in the supermarkets or shops, seriously theres a retail park 5 minutes walk from the estate I live where most people who live here are Polish, the staff in the Asda are mostly(not met a native yet though) Polish, the Poundland staff are Polish, the BURGER KING staff are Polish.

Now someone argued with me before that the reason why they hired Polish people for those jobs is because its nexxt to a Polish housing estate therefore thats where they will go shopping or eating, however before it was a Polish area it was British staff and people would actually stop there and buy stuff or eat as it was just off main road to motorway so they lost British customers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending