The Student Room Group

Are English girls often stuck up/unfriendly?

Is this actually true? I used to think it was a myth and as a girl myself I dont like to stereotype other girls. I was born and brought up in the UK, but as my parents are from other countries and work jobs that involve travelling I have lived a lot in them too (both around Europe and America). Please note this is not a diss on English girls I have met several lovely ones! But maybe English culture is generally quite "cold" in some sense (not always bad) and because girls are competitive between themselves this increases it.

Both me and my non-English friends (male and female) have noticed that English girls can often be really stuck up, both when trying to make friends with them (they're cliquier than American girls) and even to random strangers etc. Of course, all girls can be gossipy but English girls are often much harder to get to know, and sometimes when guys (even guys they know) hit on them they overreact in the way they respond or are mean for no reason. I wouldn't call myself American but I can see why English guys find it easier in the US sometimes.

They can also be quite hostile to strangers - for example, in the library or on the bus, even if you mind your own business (both me and my friends have noticed this) girls in England will often glare at strangers for no reason, esp. female strangers, or (if in a group) start whispering nasty comments amongst themselves. The other day, an old homeless looking woman sat down in the library, and she wasn't really bothering anyone but some of the girls sitting behind me took a picture of her and uploaded it on Facebook. I am very quiet when in the library and on my own but some of the (presumably English) girls who work there are always staring/glaring at me and coughing loudly while rolling their eyes. Not that it matters but I dress perfectly normally etc.

Maybe this is partly to do with class and English society's focus on it, we have noticed that "working class" English people (while stigmatised) can actually be much more laid back than the kinds of girls who wear brands like Hollister everywhere and roll their eyes at the librarian for telling them not to drink iced coffee there. I am from a very "well off" background and often wear brands etc. myself but I don't like to think of people in terms of being middle class or rich etc., but maybe English society still expects that and it leads to people being snobby. Girls can also be catty generally so maybe that is why me and my friends (a lot of whom are girls) have experienced this.

What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Tldr :facepalm:

Don't post then. :h:

Why are you anon too? Usually nobody except the OP needs to be anon.
Don't post then. :h:

Why are you anon too? Usually nobody except the OP needs to be anon.

I post anon on every anon thread. It's what i do :h:
You'll usually find that people who wear Hollister are usually a bit c*ntish :wink:

But in all seriousness, I have not identified a discernible trend of coldness or unfriendliness among English girls. There are some lovely ones (as you mentioned), and there are some complete tw*ts. But that's the same in every country, across both genders.
Reply 4
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
I would say that English people in general, are more reserved than their European counterparts, but that doesn't necessarily translate to being more stuck up. I have also been born and brought up in the UK, despite being of foreign blood and have spent large swathes of my life on the continent and have not noticed a higher concentration of stuck up/rude people here than there.

I don't mind reserved people, some of my best friends are introverts :love:

Maybe girls are just generally ruder/cattier to other girls, and me and my friends mostly being girls we notice it more. English girls (as opposed to guys) are often stereotyped as being stuck up though. Obviously stereotypes are largely silly but maybe it's a cultural thing, idk.
Women in general can be really, really stuck up. I think the British are worse though. I think Norway/Sweden/Denmark/Finland, etc, have the most polite and well behaved females.
Reply 6

You must enjoy getting carded for your useless posts, then. Enjoy the next one when it comes around :h: :rofl:

AaronImpresswell
You'll usually find that people who wear Hollister are usually a bit c*ntish

But in all seriousness, I have not identified a discernible trend of coldness or unfriendliness among English girls. There are some lovely ones (as you mentioned), and there are some complete tw*ts. But that's the same in every country, across both genders.

Nothing wrong with brands IMO :tongue: but people who wear stuff like that can obviously afford it, so might be more inclined to be classist in a more class conscious culture.

Are you English? Maybe it's a cultural difference. I do have a lot of female friends from other countries to "compare" with, though, because I've lived all over. :lol:
Is this actually true? I used to think it was a myth and as a girl myself I dont like to stereotype other girls. I was born and brought up in the UK, but as my parents are from other countries and work jobs that involve travelling I have lived a lot in them too (both around Europe and America). Please note this is not a diss on English girls I have met several lovely ones! But maybe English culture is generally quite "cold" in some sense (not always bad) and because girls are competitive between themselves this increases it.

Both me and my non-English friends (male and female) have noticed that English girls can often be really stuck up, both when trying to make friends with them (they're cliquier than American girls) and even to random strangers etc. Of course, all girls can be gossipy but English girls are often much harder to get to know, and sometimes when guys (even guys they know) hit on them they overreact in the way they respond or are mean for no reason. I wouldn't call myself American but I can see why English guys find it easier in the US sometimes.

They can also be quite hostile to strangers - for example, in the library or on the bus, even if you mind your own business (both me and my friends have noticed this) girls in England will often glare at strangers for no reason, esp. female strangers, or (if in a group) start whispering nasty comments amongst themselves. The other day, an old homeless looking woman sat down in the library, and she wasn't really bothering anyone but some of the girls sitting behind me took a picture of her and uploaded it on Facebook. I am very quiet when in the library and on my own but some of the (presumably English) girls who work there are always staring/glaring at me and coughing loudly while rolling their eyes. Not that it matters but I dress perfectly normally etc.

Maybe this is partly to do with class and English society's focus on it, we have noticed that "working class" English people (while stigmatised) can actually be much more laid back than the kinds of girls who wear brands like Hollister everywhere and roll their eyes at the librarian for telling them not to drink iced coffee there. I am from a very "well off" background and often wear brands etc. myself but I don't like to think of people in terms of being middle class or rich etc., but maybe English society still expects that and it leads to people being snobby. Girls can also be catty generally so maybe that is why me and my friends (a lot of whom are girls) have experienced this.

What do you think?

Entiltlement, coddling and insecurity in abundance
As someone who comes from an immigrant background, in my experience no. I think English girls are friendly when talked to, however dont expect to easily start a random conversation with a stranger, this goes for men and women , England as a whole is just a lot more reserved, not everywhere but more compared to other countries yes, and it is similar in other northern European countries such as Sweden. I agree lower class girls and people are defiantl easy going, and I think class is important, one thing I agree with you is about some girls being cliquey or bitchy, however I dont think its all due to English upper class arrogance (althoguh it does play a part), I think its due to these girls being pampered and spoiled all their lives, I have heard similar of well off Americans who are very shallow and 'fake' or just anyone in general who comes from a more well off background.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by binkierose
Women in general can be really, really stuck up. I think the British are worse though. I think Norway/Sweden/Denmark/Finland, etc, have the most polite and well behaved females.

I don't know if I'd say that, though women can often be catty to others (I'm a girl) I think it's like guys often being competitive over girls, who has the best job etc.

Why those countries? :smile:

My cutie :love:
I don't know if I'd say that, though women can often be catty to others (I'm a girl) I think it's like guys often being competitive over girls, who has the best job etc.

Why those countries? :smile:

I'm also a girl! I know how stuck up some can be! Not all though, but I've seen a lot where I live - they often think they're better than everyone else because they've got fake hair, tan, nails and heaps of make up on and can afford a hollister tracksuit.

And I'm not sure! Out of all the women I've met, people from those countries seem a lot less self centered and kind in comparison to other women.
Original post by Iwouldliketoknow
Entiltlement, coddling and insecurity in abundance

That doesn't really apply to all girls or even English ones though, just spoiled people in general?

EmperorPowerMan
As someone who comes from an immigrant background, in my experience no. I think English girls are friendly when talked to, however dont expect to easily start a random conversation with a stranger, this goes for men and women , England as a whole is just a lot more reserved, not everywhere but compared to other countries yes, and it is similar in other northern European countries such as Sweden. I agree lower class girls and people are defiantl easy going, and I think class is important, one thing I agree with you is about some girls being cliquey or bitch, however I dont think its all due to English upper class arrogance (althoguh it does play a part), I think its due to these girls being pampered and spoiled all their lives, I have heard similar of well off Americans who are very shallow and 'fake' or just anyone in general who comes from a more well off background.

Thanks, I'm not snobby to strangers but I don't go up trying to make friends with them like a tourist no :redface: I mean just trying to get to know other people in normal places, like at university or (now I've graduated) things like clubs. Also, when me and my friends do things like sit in the library, obviously we're not trying to make friends then but English girls often glare at you for ages for no reason even if you're being quiet and not bothering anyone. So unfriendly and nosy.

I wouldn't say it's necessarily even an "upper class" thing so much as a "middle class" one at least in terms of the British classes? Really upper class people can often be really laidback, at least the ones I knew at university :colondollar:
You must enjoy getting carded for your useless posts, then. Enjoy the next one when it comes around :h: :rofl:

Nothing wrong with brands IMO :tongue: but people who wear stuff like that can obviously afford it, so might be more inclined to be classist in a more class conscious culture.

Are you English? Maybe it's a cultural difference. I do have a lot of female friends from other countries to "compare" with, though, because I've lived all over. :lol:

I bumped up your thread so be thankful for that at least...
Original post by binkierose
I'm also a girl! I know how stuck up some can be! Not all though, but I've seen a lot where I live - they often think they're better than everyone else because they've got fake hair, tan, nails and heaps of make up on and can afford a hollister tracksuit.

And I'm not sure! Out of all the women I've met, people from those countries seem a lot less self centered and kind in comparison to other women.

I mentioned me being a girl to explain why I might have seen cattiness (people can often be really mean to people of their own gender especially). Do you live in the South out of curiosity?

Those countries generally have high living standards and a lot of welfare/don't seem to look down on the poor as much. maybe that's to do with it. :smile:
Original post by zyzzyspirit
My cutie :love:

Hey. I've seen you around. Do you always flirt with all the anons?
Hey. I've seen you around. Do you always flirt with all the anons?

No just with the 18 year old Muslim girls who go anon every once in a while :grin:
I mentioned me being a girl to explain why I might have seen cattiness (people can often be really mean to people of their own gender especially). Do you live in the South out of curiosity?

Those countries generally have high living standards and a lot of welfare/don't seem to look down on the poor as much. maybe that's to do with it. :smile:

I live in West London. I just think in general those countries are nicer. Lower crime rates, better state education, etc..
Original post by zyzzyspirit
No just with the 18 year old Muslim girls who go anon every once in a while :grin:

Not really sure what you're talking about tbh. I think it's time to lay off the drugs. :K:
Yes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending