The Student Room Group

Something needs to be done about people's motorway driving.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Drewski
Etiquette is one thing, safety is more important.

UK roads are amongst the safest in the world. Clearly we're doing something right.

Sound point. And like I said, we're definitely doing better than most countries. But I imagine those figures include all roads, including urban areas etc. where I think UK driving standards are far better than many other EU countries.

Would be interesting to see figures for just motorways alone. Perhaps crashes per 1000km motorway or something. I've found 1 or 2 graphs which show we're not doing that well, but I'm not too sure how trustworthy they are... In all honesty it's very difficult to find good figures, you'd probably also need to find out about average number of cars per km motorway too

Whatever the figures are, I think better etiquette could only improve safety surely?
Original post by Drewski
Etiquette is one thing, safety is more important.

UK roads are amongst the safest in the world. Clearly we're doing something right.

No. This is precisely the idiotic attitude that causes all of these problems.

Slow drivers can be perfectly safe in the slow lane.
Fast drivers can be perfectly safe in the fast lane.

We can all be perfectly safe while being courteous. Just because someone is being "safe" doesn't mean they have the right to drive in a totally inconsiderate manner just because its very low down on their list of priorities to reach places in an efficient manner.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by Advisor
Driver education is a big problem in this country. Motorways cannot be touched by learner drivers, so most instructors don't bother teaching it, even though very similar roads (70mph dual carriageways) exist.

Driver education is not a rocket science but it is a global problem. Many experienced drivers come from different parts of world with non standard driving habits also cause trouble to everyone. Increasing number of lanes will not help unless drivers get proper training to drive on motorways.
Driving on motorway without taking proper instructions is not very wise.
Reply 23
My dad actually almost killed me once on a motorway. Haven't been on one for about 6 years cause of it. Motorway driving is horrible.
Reply 24
Original post by Nice.Guy
Sound point. And like I said, we're definitely doing better than most countries. But I imagine those figures include all roads, including urban areas etc. where I think UK driving standards are far better than many other EU countries.

Would be interesting to see figures for just motorways alone. Perhaps crashes per 1000km motorway or something. I've found 1 or 2 graphs which show we're not doing that well, but I'm not too sure how trustworthy they are... In all honesty it's very difficult to find good figures, you'd probably also need to find out about average number of cars per km motorway too

Whatever the figures are, I think better etiquette could only improve safety surely?

Drivers behavior can be changed only with appropriate driver education. Change in behavior of drivers will make big difference for safety of all road users.
Reply 25
Original post by Goaded
My dad actually almost killed me once on a motorway. Haven't been on one for about 6 years cause of it. Motorway driving is horrible.

Driving on motorway with hit and trial basis is not a good idea. Better seek assistance from professional driver instructor. (not that instructor who is only interested in money making)

Before going on motor way discussing with instructor proper procedure how to drive on motorway will be very helpful.

If you agree please pass this message to you family members and friends.
Wish you safe drive.
Thanks.
Original post by Goaded

Motorway's are statisticly speaking some of the safest roads in the UK. Town and especially country B roads are FAR more dangerous.
Tbh I guess it;s because my time on motorways is generally not peak time, but bar forced to go at 50 due to roadworks, I've not had much issues, can generally cruise along at around 80 in the middle, overtaking to the outside and coming back to middle when needed.

However I know both are technically overtaking lanes, so is me sitting in the middle lane doing 80 actually causing congestion? It just feels having to dive in and out of the left hand every time I hit a lorry or a driver preferring to drive at 60-70 would cause more issues.
The real problem is the amount of haulage on UK motorways. When lorries over take, they reduce the capacity of motorway by a half. It causes people to have to maneuver into fast lane, causing it to slow down and forcing people to brake to let traffic in, which all has a knock on effect down the road. It gets particularly ridiculous when the overtaking lorry takes over 5 minutes to complete the overtaking maneuver. In countries like Germany the trains and rivers are used much more than the UK which takes the strain off the motorways.
Original post by Nice.Guy

orse still, even get people sat in the outside lane at 70, because 'that's the speed limit and no-one should drive any faster'. All that does is clog up the motorway, and mean that a couple of miles back, you end up getting tailbacks.

I use the outside lane when, for example I have lorries overtaking lorries using the middle lane (or vans, caravans, other slow vehicles, etc). I still won't go any faster than 70 because I have a "black box" thing and speeding will ruin my insurance.
Original post by Classical Liberal
The real problem is the amount of haulage on UK motorways. When lorries over take, they reduce the capacity of motorway by a half. It causes people to have to maneuver into fast lane, causing it to slow down and forcing people to brake to let traffic in, which all has a knock on effect down the road. It gets particularly ridiculous when the overtaking lorry takes over 5 minutes to complete the overtaking maneuver. In countries like Germany the trains and rivers are used much more than the UK which takes the strain off the motorways.

Problem is, once you look into it, the freight train system already over-capacity as it is.

Sadly we just move around too much stuff.

Personally I think there should be a £200 annual charge, payable the first time you enter to the country, for the right to use UK roads for all vehicles over 2 tonne.

This is then used to fund extra transport infrastructure building.
Reply 31
Original post by cole-slaw
Problem is, once you look into it, the freight train system already over-capacity as it is.

Sadly we just move around too much stuff.

Personally I think there should be a £200 annual charge, payable the first time you enter to the country, for the right to use UK roads for all vehicles over 2 tonne.

This is then used to fund extra transport infrastructure building.

We already have this, it's called VED.

Germany has the geographical advantage of several very large rivers running the length of the country. How could you transport ~100 tonnes of goods from, say, Leeds to London using existing waterways in the UK?
Original post by Drewski
Germany has the geographical advantage of several very large rivers running the length of the country. How could you transport ~100 tonnes of goods from, say, Leeds to London using existing waterways in the UK?

That's why the Victorians built canals.
That's why the Victorians built canals.

Suitable for Victorian-era size of goods.

You try navigating a German style cargo barge on the Manchester Liverpool canal and see how far you get...

In the US it varies from state to state, but I recently drove coast to coast on the I10 and for most of that distance trucks had the same limit as cars. Despite being a two lane road for most of the 2,500 miles it covers I very rarely got held up by trucks (and most of the vehicles on the road were trucks) because they were either already going at or over the speed limit, or could overtake sensibly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending