The Student Room Group

Are English girls often stuck up/unfriendly?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Not really sure what you're talking about tbh. I think it's time to lay off the drugs. :K:

[video="youtube;CUb8oOoU0Bk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUb8oOoU0Bk[/video]
Original post by BlindingLight
Yes.

Why do you think so?
Why do you think so?

experience, large sample size etc etc
Original post by zyzzyspirit
[video="youtube;CUb8oOoU0Bk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUb8oOoU0Bk[/video]

No...i'm not lying. You're the one making up lies like you know me. :erm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdtKbq3Omkw&feature=youtube_gdata_player
I don't think all English girls are stuck up but there are way more stuck up girls in England than anywhere else. Also depends where in England I guess 😕

Posted from TSR Mobile
One time in school for induction I was going ahead and attempting to make some friends so I said hello to a few people and it was fine. I came across this girl that was just sitting there alone and thought I didnt want her to be alone and sad by herself, so I went and sat next to her.
Big mistake.
I said hello and introduced myself as you would, this girl looked me in the eye and whipped out her phone and pretended to scroll. Rude.
Like I completely understand social anxiety or being shy and maybe she was even mute, but she was just plain rude. I later met up with one of the other girls (who was of oriental ethnicity like myself) and the rude girl was with that group.
So with my experience British girls are a little more cliquier and somewhat more unfriendly.
Justin Bieber?

Shoo

Justin Bieber is my bae. :hand: But if that's what it takes for you to leave me alone then cool :colone:
Justin Bieber is my bae. :hand: But if that's what it takes for you to leave me alone then cool :colone:

Add me on whatsapp, you already have my number... Or snapchat if you use that. :yep:
Add me on whatsapp, you already have my number... Or snapchat if you use that. :yep:

:facepalm:

I'm out :getmecoat:
That doesn't really apply to all girls or even English ones though, just spoiled people in general?

Thanks, I'm not snobby to strangers but I don't go up trying to make friends with them like a tourist no :redface: I mean just trying to get to know other people in normal places, like at university or (now I've graduated) things like clubs. Also, when me and my friends do things like sit in the library, obviously we're not trying to make friends then but English girls often glare at you for ages for no reason even if you're being quiet and not bothering anyone. So unfriendly and nosy.

I wouldn't say it's necessarily even an "upper class" thing so much as a "middle class" one at least in terms of the British classes? Really upper class people can often be really laidback, at least the ones I knew at university :colondollar:

Yeah nothing wrong with being reserved, I even prefer it! Awkawrd for me when a stranger starts a convo lol

Actually I think you are right, its more the middle class who are snobby, with odd upper class ones being like that, unforunately middle class are rather spoilt.
Original post by EmperorPowerMan
Yeah nothing wrong with being reserved, I even prefer it! Awkawrd for me when a stranger starts a convo lol

Actually I think you are right, its more the middle class who are snobby, with odd upper class ones being like that, unforunately middle class are rather spoilt.

I don't usually have strangers starting convos unless I'm in London yep :tongue:

Maybe the middle class is more classist because it's in the middle too?
I know this is an old thread but I'm still going to comment. Look I understand where you're all coming from but I don't think you quite understand the class system in England. I am fully British and have lived in England all my life. I have travelled too and I live in London which is very multicultural. But those of you saying that 'working class' girls are more laid back than the type that have their nails done, wear fake tan and Hollister tracksuits, are getting confused. A good majority of the time those people you see who are heavily pampered in that way and wear Hollister and such brands, ARE the working class girls. You may think that they aren't able to afford these things, often this is true and I don't want to sound prejudiced, not all 'working class' girls are the same and buy these things, but many do. Because although they may not be well off, many are still spoiled and so their families put more money towards keeping them happy with branded clothes and iPhones. These are often the types of people that live in tiny estate flats, though you might not think it looking at them. Please don't misunderstand me, I am in no way trying to be rude but attending an inner city state girls school I have quite a good perspective. Girls like this, with this kind of background can often be very nice once you get to know them, but many do have that bitchy exterior, especially when in groups. Some may genuinely be not very nice people, and some may be the complete opposite. I can't generalise the personality of the 'working class' because frankly that's just stupid. Everyone is different. I can go further and talk about the middle and upper classes if you wish but I just wanted to clarify that. Also I don't think that 'English girls' are cold or rude. I think it's an offensive assumption actually. I may be biased but again I have a good perspective and I'm not speaking about myself. I think it is true that if you approached a stranger on the street with some kind of random comment, they would most likely not be eager to start a friendly conversation with you. But of course some people are like that and would do. However if you were asking somebody for directions per say, most people would be very friendly and polite. I think what some people are saying about English people generally being more reserved, is true to some extent, but I think it is largely dependant on location. I have spent lots of time in the English countryside, I have homes and family there. And the communities in villages, hamlets and the general countryside are undoubtedly stronger. In London you may have communities within schools or organisations etc, or within your street. However it doesn't stretch much farther than that, like any city. So of course people in cities are likely to be more reserved. I can't say very much on the comparison of English cities to other countries because I haven't spent enough time in any. But often people in the countryside, who have smaller communities, are less reserved because it isn't so common to come across strangers. Unlike the city. So I really think it depends largely on location. On the whole I don't think that it is possible to generalise the personality of the people in any country. And it's quite pointless, because everybody is different. That's what's interesting about the world.
I wouldn't call it stuck up but Some people just like to keep themselves to themselves. I am a young woman and I like to just be left alone I don't mean to be rude or unfriendly to people. I don't mind talking to other women or making friends with other women, I'm never *****y towards other women cos we're all the same in my opinion but I just have this problem with men, I can't help but think when A Man is being friendly towards me that he has ulterior motives for trying to be friendly and talk to me which leads to me being cold towards them, which comes across as unfriendly and if they start to pester me I end up biting there head off. I have no problem with men being generally nice or polite to me but I get really pissed off when they start being friendly or asking personal questions like my name, where I am from etc. In my head I just think there trying to chat me up/ hit on me & it makes me get angry. I know it's my own problem but I just feel more comfortable when not in the presense of men who are trying to talk to me & be friendly.
Yes, their heads are way too far up their own arses.
As an English male I do find it very tough to talk to girls as opposed to guys. Not just because of natural formalities, but I personally believe collectively that guys are more laid back than girls. I'm not the greatest looking lad in the world so that slims my chances of having a pleasant conversation with a girl because I think women become slightly and automatically more open - whether they mean to or not - if a guy is good looking.

That's obviously natural and isn't a complaint, just a conclusion from my life experiences thus far. Also some girls are very easy to talk, every individual is different and I wouldn't wish to draw any collective generalisations.

I have no idea how it is in a country like the USA or Canada, but I know from my travels around Europe that it's easier talking to mainland European women for sure. Again, not every one, but a lot.
I agree English girls are more stuck up, its the entitlement I don't like plus English girls have a reputation of wearing too much up and don't know how to dress properly but bare in mind its a sterotype so obviously most girls don't think like that.

I've moved from UK to France. French girls are way more nicer, they approach me with a friendly kiss and I do the same even if I just met the girl. If I did that in the UK i would be done for harrasment. Also telling a girl she has a good boby without being branded a pervert.
Original post by annonnjsha
I wouldn't call it stuck up but Some people just like to keep themselves to themselves. I am a young woman and I like to just be left alone I don't mean to be rude or unfriendly to people. I don't mind talking to other women or making friends with other women, I'm never *****y towards other women cos we're all the same in my opinion but I just have this problem with men, I can't help but think when A Man is being friendly towards me that he has ulterior motives for trying to be friendly and talk to me which leads to me being cold towards them, which comes across as unfriendly and if they start to pester me I end up biting there head off. I have no problem with men being generally nice or polite to me but I get really pissed off when they start being friendly or asking personal questions like my name, where I am from etc. In my head I just think there trying to chat me up/ hit on me & it makes me get angry. I know it's my own problem but I just feel more comfortable when not in the presense of men who are trying to talk to me & be friendly.

Yes, it most certainly is your problem. This may be a shock to you, but asking questions such as 'what's your name' and where you're from... that is how people get to know each other and that is how friendships form in the first place.

So you jump to conclusions and assume that men are hitting on you when they act friendly towards you? That's ridiculous. They might just think that you're a cool, interesting person and they want to get to know more about you. But obviously, when you react angrily and bite the poor guy's head off, as you indicated, they'll realize that they were mistaken!

Also, If you found yourself in a similar situation where someone was mean to you for no reason, I'm sure you wouldn't like it very much.
Assuming that men are hitting on you and are only after 'one thing ', that is very judgemental, and you won't be making any new friends with your current attitude.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending