The Student Room Group

Will the Syrian refugees be going home at any time or are we stuck with them for good

A genuine refugee

1. Goes to the nearest safe country

2. Goes home if and when the trouble is over.

Scroll to see replies

I don't think any of us can see that far into the future, but theoretically, yes, they should go back home. But I can easily see the majority wanting to stay even if it ever became safe for them to return in their lifetime.
Reply 2
It depends, those who end up better of here might likely stay, those having less of a good time will most likely return.
Original post by EllainKahlo
I don't think any of us can see that far into the future, but theoretically, yes, they should go back home. But I can easily see the majority wanting to stay even if it ever became safe for them to return in their lifetime.

Shouldn't be their choice tbh.
Original post by Skip_Snip
Shouldn't be their choice tbh.

I do agree, but I don't think the government are going to have the balls or the expenses to send thousands of people back to where they belong.
I am appalled by people's attitudes towards the refugees.
These people have been through hell. They're fleeing war. Have you ever experienced war? Terrorism?
Instead of getting upset that you have to share your country with people in need, actually do something to help them.
Original post by bethnonsense
These people have been through hell. They're fleeing war. Have you ever experienced war? Terrorism?
Instead of getting upset that you have to share your country with people in need, actually do something to help them.

A genuine refugee goes to the nearest safe country.
Original post by JackHorner222

And that is what they have done. And those countries are now overflowing, so we are offering to take some of the refugees so that those countries can continue to offer aid to the next ones that come along.
The Syrian war is not going to end anytime soon. The mistrust on both sides makes negotiations almost impossible, and the rebel side has lots of different groups rather than one unified army, which makes negotiations even more difficult. There is no sign of any military solution as no side has the strength to win outright.

And even if it were to "end", however that happened, there would still be some violence and the country wouldn't be completely "safe" as it was before the war - it would not be a "safe country" suitable for most refugees to return to.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
And that is what they have done. And those countries are now overflowing, so we are offering to take some of the refugees so that those countries can continue to offer aid to the next ones that come along.

Britain is overflowing.

If that means living in poverty in a crowded refugee camp with poor living conditions or living on the streets, then can you blame them for wanting to move further and get to European countries where they can have a half decent standard of living? This wouldn't be a problem if the crisis ended quickly, but the Syrian war has no end in sight, so most of these refugees will be displaced long term, possibly even for the rest of their life.

There are other things to consider when talking about appropriate countries for refugees than simply the lack of devastating war. Another example - Turkey's relationship with the Kurds isn't great, and Kurds are sometimes discriminated against, so Kurdish refugees might want to go further than Turkey (the drowned boy and his family were Kurdish).
Tbh they should be back to Syria when the war is over. If they do come here for good they better integrate themselves or else there would be ghettos and that's where problems start.
Even if things did sort themselves out in Syria, I suspect many would not return unless forced to. It's so easy to settle in the UK with our pretty generous benefits and job seekers allowance systems. Not to mention that the Middle East is so dangerous and unstable in comparison to Europe.
Original post by bethnonsense

Actually yes most of the people in this country can say their family has experienced war.

Only difference is they stood firm and fought back rather than running away to become a burden on other countries.
I think this is why so many have little compassion

It's not about keeping them safe until they can go home it about them getting citizenship and all the benefits this includes without actually have to do anything to earn them

And here's the rub once one gets in then they will have the right to get the rest of their family in as well
The thing is UK is only getting refugees from the camps in the Borders of Syria which is good. Atleast we're able to filter out some chancers among them as 'refugees'
Britain is overflowing.

Perhaps you and I have different interpretations of "overflowing". Britain is under strain, but not in a state of crisis.
Original post by hs1var19
Tbh they should be back to Syria when the war is over. If they do come here for good they better integrate themselves or else there would be ghettos and that's where problems start.

If they get settled in a European country and end up settled down with a decent life, why would they destroy that life to go back to Syria? More importantly, why should they have to? Especially when there's a risk that Syria could collapse into civil war yet again, if the current war were to be resolved.
We should bring many more millions of refugees to the UK Jack. No one will listen to what you have to say.
Original post by RFowler
If they get settled in a European country and end up settled down with a decent life, why would they destroy that life to go back to Syria? More importantly, why should they have to? Especially when there's a risk that Syria could collapse into civil war yet again, if the current war were to be resolved.

what have they done to earn that better life?

How have they contributed to society or to the county to make it a better place to be than their old country.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending