The Student Room Group

What are some good comparasions to thinking gays/lesbains are sick but being okay

with gays/lesbans?

My father was talking about a lesbian he knows, he was saying that she was getting engaged and he liked it on Facebook I told him that he was a hypocrite as he said that he felt sick wen he saw a gay couple walking down the street (I thought they looked cute) He said that lesbaiins are okay and that they are allowed to walk down the street hand in hand but gays were sick and diseased and shouldn't be allowed to hold hands or kiss.

I told him that there wasn't any difference between a homoromantic man and a homoromantic woman.

He previously insulted Caitlyn Jenner, my mother defended his behaviour saying that he can say what he likes in his house I regard that as a weak argument

What are some good comparisons I can use for whenever this topic comes up again?

Scroll to see replies

Your thread title omg :indiff:
Original post by MylittlePlusle
with gays/lesbans?

My father was talking about a lesbian he knows, he was saying that she was getting engaged and he liked it on Facebook I told him that he was a hypocrite as he said that he felt sick wen he saw a gay couple walking down the street (I thought they looked cute) He said that lesbaiins are okay and that they are allowed to walk down the street hand in hand but gays were sick and diseased and shouldn't be allowed to hold hands or kiss.

I told him that there wasn't any difference between a homoromantic man and a homoromantic woman.

He previously insulted Caitlyn Jenner, my mother defended his behaviour saying that he can say what he likes in his house I regard that as a weak argument

What are some good comparisons I can use for whenever this topic comes up again?

Have a think about this.
He instinctively finds gay men kissing etc disgusting. You are challenging his opinion essentially saying no you're not allowed to find that disgusting.
I don't think anyone minds too much about gay people but its just when you're minding your own business and you see guys kissing. If you find that disgusting then obviously you're not going to enjoy that.
Reply 3
Hetero men find women attractive, thus two women kissing is seen as attractive.

Hetero men find men unattractive, thus two men kissing is seen as unattractive.

It's a natural double standard, although that doesn't make it better.
Original post by sqwertylol
Have a think about this.
He instinctively finds gay men kissing etc disgusting. You are challenging his opinion essentially saying no you're not allowed to find that disgusting.
I don't think anyone minds too much about gay people but its just when you're minding your own business and you see guys kissing. If you find that disgusting then obviously you're not going to enjoy that.

There isn't much difference between a lesbian couple kissing and holding hands and a gay couple doing the same.

His disgust of one and not the other when they are basically the same thing is illogical. My father shouldn't be okay with lesbains if he's not okay with gays. It's a double standard!
It's a petty and weak argument yes, but you don't have to argue with him. As stupid an argument as that (lesbians just look nicer together than gay couples) shouldn't even have you wasting your time on him.
This happens because lesbians are sexualised. I can't go on a night out with my girlfriend without some tosser asking us for a threesome/feeling us up.

Just tell your dad not to be such a dick. End of.
Original post by MylittlePlusle
There isn't much difference between a lesbian couple kissing and holding hands and a gay couple doing the same.

His disgust of one and not the other when they are basically the same thing is illogical. My father shouldn't be okay with lesbains if he's not okay with gays. It's a double standard!

its not a double standard. two women together = hot. because men like women.
two men together = no thanks. because men do not like men attractive.
Original post by battycatlady
This happens because lesbians are sexualised. I can't go on a night out with my girlfriend without some tosser asking us for a threesome/feeling us up.

Just tell your dad not to be such a dick. End of.

I am sorry that those things happen to you I do not know why people are so disgusting to lesbans. =/

I couldn't ever say that to my father.
Reply 9
Don't worry, your Dad's just trying to be a 'lad'
(edited 8 years ago)
its not a double standard. two women together = hot. because men like women.
two men together = no thanks. because men do not like men attractive.

Yes it is. Whether or not you find something 'hot' shouldn't affect whether you consider it 'acceptable' or not.

Also, I don't understand het men's obsession with lesbians. How entitled do you have to be to be turned on by (and ask to 'join in' with) something that by it's very definition has NOTHING to do with attraction to you?
Original post by 1338
Don't worry, your Dad's just trying to be a 'lad'

I believe it has to do with his generation.
There's no comparison, just the labels: hypocrisy and stupidness.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Yes it is. Whether or not you find something 'hot' shouldn't affect whether you consider it 'acceptable' or not.

Also, I don't understand het men's obsession with lesbians. How entitled do you have to be to be turned on by (and ask to 'join in' with) something that by it's very definition has NOTHING to do with attraction to you?

this was my previous post:

i explicitly said I dont mind gay people doing what they want but that doesnt mean I have to enjoy them kissing. you need to realise theres a difference between what I find acceptable and what I enjoy. idiot
this was my previous post:

i explicitly said I dont mind gay people doing what they want but that doesnt mean I have to enjoy them kissing. you need to realise theres a difference between what I find acceptable and what I enjoy. idiot

Just because you don't want to do something yourself doesn't mean you should call it disgusting. I don't want to go bungee-jumping. But that doesn't mean people shouldn't be able to do it. If you wouldn't be disgusted if you saw a man and a woman doing the same thing in the same circumstances you are bigoted homophobe.
Reply 15
Original post by RainbowKiwi
Your thread title omg :indiff:

Hahahaha

Title game is WEAK!
Just because you don't want to do something yourself doesn't mean you should call it disgusting. I don't want to go bungee-jumping. But that doesn't mean people shouldn't be able to do it. If you wouldn't be disgusted if you saw a man and a woman doing the same thing in the same circumstances you are bigoted homophobe.

i'm bigoted? you're bigoted one for not allowing other people to have opinions. I'm the big homophobe because I dont agree with you.

you've got what I have said all twisted as well.

I am for gay rights, for gays etc etc. I'm fine with anyone being gay.
That doesn't mean I have to find gay kissing pleasing. Thats my opinion. youre the bigoted fool calling me a homophobe because I dont find gay kissing appealing to me.
I can put up with gay kissing but it's something I'd rather not see because I find it sexually odd.
Its like gay sex. I can find being gay acceptable and fine but that doesn't mean I enjoy gay sex ffs. Gay sex is disgusting to watch.

its quite funny.
I thought you would be some 16 year old who is a bit touchy on the subject and has let their emotions talk too much. but you have a degree???
speechless lol. just shows you how mad the vocal lgbt idiots really are.
i'm bigoted? you're bigoted one for not allowing other people to have opinions. I'm the big homophobe because I dont agree with you.

you've got what I have said all twisted as well.

I am for gay rights, for gays etc etc. I'm fine with anyone being gay.
That doesn't mean I have to find gay kissing pleasing. Thats my opinion. youre the bigoted fool calling me a homophobe because I dont find gay kissing appealing to me.
I can put up with gay kissing but it's something I'd rather not see because I find it sexually odd.
Its like gay sex. I can find being gay acceptable and fine but that doesn't mean I enjoy gay sex ffs. Gay sex is disgusting to watch.

My point is that just because you don't want to see something, doesn't mean it shouldn't happen. If you see two men kissing it is your responsibility to look away, not theirs to stop. Also, don't use stigmatising words like 'disgusting'. If it's not 'disgusting' for a man and a woman to do then it's not disgusting for two men or two women to do.
its quite funny.
I thought you would be some 16 year old who is a bit touchy on the subject and has let their emotions talk too much. but you have a degree???
speechless lol. just shows you how mad the vocal lgbt idiots really are.

Why do you think being an educated adult and speaking out against prejudice are mutually exclusive?

Quick Reply

Latest