The Student Room Group

Honest opinion on AS/A level Sociology?

A lot of people on here seem to have found it boring :s-smilie: Should i swap it for Government & Politics?

Scroll to see replies

Honest opinion - I loved it. It's my favourite subject, and I managed to be in the top 5 for highest marks in my year group for it. It does depend though, because everyone likes different things, and I'm in love with social sciences. I'm sure it also depends on your teacher(s) because I heard that other teachers in my college didn't explain things as thoroughly as my teacher did. I'll tell you one thing though, even if you do switch to Government & Politics, you might end up studying similar things, because there is a lot of policy in sociology in the first year, but obviously less than you'll get in Government & Politics :smile:
I did really enjoy it and managed to get an A* overall. There were parts I didn't like but once you get the hang of essays and the key concepts it is very interesting and eye opening. It also makes you apply academia to the outside world which can be quite rare haha. If you work really hard and have an interest in this sort of thing you will do well. :smile:
I LOVED LOVED LOVED it. Somehow I messed my AS exam this year I really dont know why I was achieving top marks in class still got a B but wished it was an A.

But so interesting, only lesson I wanted to go to.
Reply 4
It is my favourite subject! I find it really interesting and look forward to lessons, but some of my class hate it. I think it's down to interests and teachers really, but if you immerse yourself it can be incredibly interesting! I finished AS this year with an A (192/200 ums) and am aiming for an A*.
Reply 5
Original post by smegsxo
It is my favourite subject! I find it really interesting and look forward to lessons, but some of my class hate it. I think it's down to interests and teachers really, but if you immerse yourself it can be incredibly interesting! I finished AS this year with an A (192/200 ums) and am aiming for an A*.

Your clever lol

did you revise a lot?
Reply 6
Original post by xxvine
Your clever lol

did you revise a lot?

I have to say, not enough. Not as much as I should have as I did mainly night before and day of revision (I did 2 nights before for unit 1) but I put in effort all year because I loved it so much, so that saved me haha. I'll be certain to do much more revision this year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I didn't really enjoy AS but I still got a B. Apparently A2 is supposed to be a lot more interesting though.
I honestly love sociology and if anyone is feeling disappointed with their grade, I got mine remarked and it went from a C to an A! I did politics and sociology an MUCH prefer sociology! I consider it how you'd expect psychology to be but on a larger scale. A lot of people take psychology and find it's not what they expected, my mum did that and hanged to sociology and loved it! I found that learning about Marxism massively helped with history (I did Russian history so you can see why!) and English for contextual points! My AS Politics wasn't that bad because it was more British politics which I was interested in but A2 is American which looked much harder and I don't find it interesting, but I have to admit politics helps with other subjects, I still dropped it though! A2 sociology is good too, I would recommend it to anyone, and personally I think it's really easy as long as you can understand the concepts, it's a really eye opening subject! I hope you enjoy it if you do it!
Reply 9
i loved it! i found it more interesting than gov & politics
i got an A* in sociology overall and found it so interesting, but it depends on which examboard youre on so maybe look at the modules and see which course you prefer - dont listen to what other people say base it on your own judgement
I personally think sociology itself is a really interesting subject to study but it does take a lot of hard work and commitment to understand and take in the information. It also depends on how it is taught in class but I honestly did most of the work outside of the class due to having a terrible teacher. Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by uRmyQueenRebecca
A lot of people on here seem to have found it boring :s-smilie: Should i swap it for Government & Politics?

Hi, I'm currently doing my A2 sociology and I love it. I got a B at AS, and honestly sociology was not only a very interesting topic but personally I found it to be clear and easy to understand. during the beginning of year 12 I took it as a safe option in case I didn't do too well on my other subjects and it turned out to be my best grade.

So to answer your question, No don't drop it

Hope I helped :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Emmy_96
Hi, I'm currently doing my A2 sociology and I love it. I got a B at AS, and honestly sociology was not only a very interesting topic but personally I found it to be clear and easy to understand. during the beginning of year 12 I took it as a safe option in case I didn't do too well on my other subjects and it turned out to be my best grade.

So to answer your question, No don't drop it

Hope I helped :smile:

Hey are you retaking any of the AS Units? There is a new syllabus so wanted to know if your learning the new syllabus?
Original post by xxvine
Hey are you retaking any of the AS Units? There is a new syllabus so wanted to know if your learning the new syllabus?

Hey Im retaking a unit- AQA Sociology Unit 2, the retake will of course be the old syllabus.
Reply 14
Original post by jenniferelka
I did really enjoy it and managed to get an A* overall. There were parts I didn't like but once you get the hang of essays and the key concepts it is very interesting and eye opening. It also makes you apply academia to the outside world which can be quite rare haha. If you work really hard and have an interest in this sort of thing you will do well. :smile:

have you got any revision notes i've just stared it and finding it a bit tricky and would like to read ahead
Original post by deens
have you got any revision notes i've just stared it and finding it a bit tricky and would like to read ahead

if youre finding it hard i would suggest getting the cpg revision guide - it gives a really basic and easy to understand overview of all the terms/studies :-)
I'll be honest - at the start of the year, I found it really hard! It was my least favourite subject, and I found essay structure so difficult to do. I did awful in the mocks (highest was a C, lowest U). But as the year went on I found I enjoyed it more and more and by the end I was completely in love with the subject, especially when we got to study Education. I have to say it will probably be my favourite A2 subject as well, and I'm even considering doing a joint honours degree in it with Politics at university next year. I also got a huge surprise on Results Day because I somehow got an A!! No idea how, haha :smile:

So yeah, Sociology is awesome. However it is NOT easy! You do have to do loads of revision for it, especially when it comes to remembering sociologists' names. Really looking forward to A2 tbh.
Reply 17
Original post by emiloujess
I'll be honest - at the start of the year, I found it really hard! It was my least favourite subject, and I found essay structure so difficult to do. I did awful in the mocks (highest was a C, lowest U). But as the year went on I found I enjoyed it more and more and by the end I was completely in love with the subject, especially when we got to study Education. I have to say it will probably be my favourite A2 subject as well, and I'm even considering doing a joint honours degree in it with Politics at university next year. I also got a huge surprise on Results Day because I somehow got an A!! No idea how, haha :smile:

So yeah, Sociology is awesome. However it is NOT easy! You do have to do loads of revision for it, especially when it comes to remembering sociologists' names. Really looking forward to A2 tbh.

Have you started A2 yet and bought the text book?
Original post by xxvine
Have you started A2 yet and bought the text book?

I've ordered the textbook but don't start until the 15th :frown: you?
Reply 19
Original post by emiloujess
I've ordered the textbook but don't start until the 15th :frown: you?

Which one are you using? You itching to start haha?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending