The Student Room Group

Mature student advice

Hey all,

I'm hoping to study computer science at University next year and have missed this years intakes for the Access to HE diploma so am left with a couple of choices -

1. Doing open learning A Levels in Maths and Computing. I feel i'd be comfortable achieving A's in these with hard work and tutors.

2. Doing 120 Open Uni credits in Maths and Science throughout the year. I have read York and Bath both accept these but have found no other Unis that do, so would be putting all my eggs in one basket.

Any advice would be much appreciated, including would a university - Warwick, Nottingham, Sheffield etc still accept me onto a Computer Science BSc with only 2 A Levels but as a mature student?
I think you would need three a levels unless you have solid work experience behind you? Could always do further maths as well?

Have you got any other colleges that do access? mine is still taking applicants so other might be
I've done a little research and anywhere nearby is full.

I worked as a games tester for a year or so and for the last 5 years have made my living playing poker professionally. I don't know it that's a good selling point to uni's or not, however I am successful because I play using maths to a high level.

I've found two more uni's that state they accept OU credits - Sussex and Reading (they only require 60 credits, Bath and York both asked for 120), however I'm thinking I'll sign up for some OU courses and email some universities asking will they accept me.
Original post by genericwhiteguy
Hey all,

I'm hoping to study computer science at University next year and have missed this years intakes for the Access to HE diploma so am left with a couple of choices -

1. Doing open learning A Levels in Maths and Computing. I feel i'd be comfortable achieving A's in these with hard work and tutors.

2. Doing 120 Open Uni credits in Maths and Science throughout the year. I have read York and Bath both accept these but have found no other Unis that do, so would be putting all my eggs in one basket.

Any advice would be much appreciated, including would a university - Warwick, Nottingham, Sheffield etc still accept me onto a Computer Science BSc with only 2 A Levels but as a mature student?

The best advice would be to actually contact universities you're interested in and finding out from them, rather than speculation. They'll also tell you what they expect to see in an applicant, so you can make a more informed decision.
Reply 4
Would echo the advice to ask universities directly. Entry requirements aren't necessarily the same for mature students as those advertised for school leavers, so don't fixate on A Levels or UCAS points unless a uni specifically tells you those are what they want from you. Mature student applications are considered on a case-by-case basis, so there is no one size fits all answer and you shouldn't just go by their websites.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending