The Student Room Group

Best time to persuade teachers to predict high grades?

So we get our predicted A2 grades to apply to uni with around October half-term. When is the best time to bargain with teachers to predict you good grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

what is the point? yeah it may look good on progress cards and reports but in the long run it isn't going to help you if for instance your persuade them to predict u an A* when you are likely to get an A or a B bc you aren't aspiring to a realistic level. Discuss ur targets with teachers and make sure you feel they are right but persuading them to give u high predictions won't help you when it comes to the exams.

Original post by vices
So we get our predicted A2 grades to apply to uni with around October half-term. When is the best time to bargain with teachers to predict you good grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
People need to stop begging teachers for unrealistic high grades, you are only hurting yourself
Original post by CoolCavy
what is the point? yeah it may look good on progress cards and reports but in the long run it isn't going to help you if for instance your persuade them to predict u an A* when you are likely to get an A or a B bc you aren't aspiring to a realistic level. Discuss ur targets with teachers and make sure you feel they are right but persuading them to give u high predictions won't help you when it comes to the exams.

Hi cavy,
The point in being predicted good A2 grades is that being predicted AAA will allow you to apply almost anywhere and so students often try and persuade their teachers that they can get AAA whether it be with resits - I've had this problem as I thought I'd be predicted A*A*A bit I'm only predicted AAB and so my university choices have been significantly damaged

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by vices

Right after you've given them cake.

Lots of cake.

Caaaaaakkkeee...
Early on in the year.
Original post by Sacred Ground
Hi cavy,
The point in being predicted good A2 grades is that being predicted AAA will allow you to apply almost anywhere and so students often try and persuade their teachers that they can get AAA whether it be with resits - I've had this problem as I thought I'd be predicted A*A*A bit I'm only predicted AAB and so my university choices have been significantly damaged

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah i was thinking about it after i posted, i thought he meant the predictions for AS for the new courses. My bad i apologise and i see where u and the OP were coming from :smile:
Hi cavy,

Posted from TSR Mobile

We have strict rules on what we can predict and unis know we are very accurate.

I cannot see the point in having a prediction you won't meet - come next August you'll be going to your insurance and have no hall place. Even worse, you might be in clearing and chasing any accommodation ...

Students need to be realistic :smile:
Hi cavy,

Posted from TSR Mobile

apply almost anywhere and get in no where because they won't fulfil the predicted grades
1st October, 11am on the dot. Not a second earlier or later.
the predicted grades system is horrid - I got predicted Cs and one B even though I ended up getting As/A*s consistently - it's absolute bull****.
"hey, so, I got As - wanna predict me higher?"
"uhh, sorry I can't"
"what would I have to do to change your mind?"
"umm...oh okay I guess you got me there"
Most teachers will base your grades on your results; unless there is a legitimate reason you didn't achieve a certain grade you most likely wouldn't receive a much higher prediction. If you can start applying yourself now and keep on top of any work you're doing, that could possibly convince them or at least give them a reason to reconsider.
Even if you get DDD at AS, who cares about what your teachers predict you? Work hard this year, and with resits and if it pays off - get AAA. Then reapply next year with these grades :biggrin:
Original post by Muttley79
We have strict rules on what we can predict and unis know we are very accurate.

I cannot see the point in having a prediction you won't meet - come next August you'll be going to your insurance and have no hall place. Even worse, you might be in clearing and chasing any accommodation ...

Students need to be realistic :smile:

I was being realistic, I got 100% and 93% in AS geography and chemistry I'm not predicted A*'s? How else can I prove myself?
I was being realistic, I got 100% and 93% in AS geography and chemistry I'm not predicted A*'s? How else can I prove myself?

Do you mean full marks or 100 UMS ..? They are not the same thing.

What were your predictions for AS?
Original post by CoolCavy

Well it is going to help in the long run since you'l get more offers lol.

Original post by sqwertylol
apply almost anywhere and get in no where because they won't fulfil the predicted grades

Or it can go the opposite. Get predicted low grades. Can't apply anywhere because low predicted grades. End up achieving super high grades and ye. You get the picture.
Original post by Muttley79
Do you mean full marks or 100 UMS ..? They are not the same thing.

What were your predictions for AS?

100% and 93% ums overall yeah, my predictions for AS were based on my GCSE's so are useless
100% and 93% ums overall yeah, my predictions for AS were based on my GCSE's so are useless

There can be a benefit from not being predicted A* because some unis will make your offer A* ... I've seen that happen quite a lot.

Normally, if I was teaching someone that got full UMS then I would predict A* if they wanted but I don't know you or your work record.
Usually private school teachers do back you to get the A*, while state school teachers remain cautious with A grade predictions. Having the backing does pay dividends
Reply 19
I don't mean a massive jump obviously they'd never do that, but I got BCC and they usually predict you one grade above what you got (ABB) but I'm applying for an AAA course for journalism and my teachers mentioned that getting AAA was possible, so just wondering when it's a good time to persuade them so I have at least AAB to apply with + a rly good ps.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest