The Student Room Group

how much memory loss is normal for mental illnesses?

From what I've read about mental illnesses it seems that a lot of people have at least some memory loss. I just wanted to ask other members how much they experience?

Currently, for me, things are pretty bad. I keep losing track of my thoughts during conversations and even when I get to the conversation end I quickly forget the whole thing like it never happened. The memory loss also extends to other stuff like deciding I need to do something then forgetting before I can do it. I have a diagnosis of schizoaffective disorder and am on antipsychotic medications.
Reply 1
I have BPD and ptsd i get confused and forget stuff but not the same as yours.... I can't remember what I have been doing a lot of the time, and my time dissapears somehow and i duno what I have been doing but my counsellor says I am dissasociating and stuff to do with trauma and thats why it happens to me
Reply 2
Original post by Jenx301
I have BPD and ptsd i get confused and forget stuff but not the same as yours.... I can't remember what I have been doing a lot of the time, and my time dissapears somehow and i duno what I have been doing but my counsellor says I am dissasociating and stuff to do with trauma and thats why it happens to me

I've read that people with BPD and PSTD often dissociate in order to deal with painful things but I don't think that's the case with me. :confused:

My memory seems to be getting worse and I keep misspelling words, for instance I typed "trouble" as "trubble" :lolwut: I don't have dyslexia or anything; this is only a recent thing.

Just wondering if anyone else can relate?
Can definitely relate.

Waiting for a referral to CMHT after seeing/hearing stuff, weird thoughts etc.

Keep having mini blackouts where I'll loose up to 10 minutes at a time. Short term memory can be completely shot some days to the point where I forget my dinner is sitting RIGHT THERE and I was about to start eating it.

Conversation-wise, I can spend a good while afterwards trying to remember all that was said, or how conversation got from Subject A to Subject C etc.
I forget what I was about to do less than 30 seconds after I've thought about it. For example, a couple of days ago I thought 'I was going to change my earring, I'll just finish reading this page.' My next thought was 'There was something I was going to do after reading this.'
Reply 5
Original post by SmallTownGirl
I forget what I was about to do less than 30 seconds after I've thought about it. For example, a couple of days ago I thought 'I was going to change my earring, I'll just finish reading this page.' My next thought was 'There was something I was going to do after reading this.'

I do that so many times a day too! Always get that "wtf was I about to do" feeling. Often in my head it seems like it was a very important activity that I'm forgetting even if it's totally mundane.

Original post by Danno190
Can definitely relate.

Waiting for a referral to CMHT after seeing/hearing stuff, weird thoughts etc.

Keep having mini blackouts where I'll loose up to 10 minutes at a time. Short term memory can be completely shot some days to the point where I forget my dinner is sitting RIGHT THERE and I was about to start eating it.

Conversation-wise, I can spend a good while afterwards trying to remember all that was said, or how conversation got from Subject A to Subject C etc.

I've also been losing time like you describe. Apparently I went out for lunch yesterday, only evidence I have is my credit card balance. :confused:

Are you having any problem trying to work out subject A to subject C when it's written down? It's become really difficult for me to do that. Makes me feel really stupid. :colondollar:
Reply 6
Definitely can relate.

My short term memory is an absolute piss now (long term still excellent) and that makes it become even worse due to my obsessive compulsive personality disorder. I have dissociative symptoms which means that for hours I can just drift along, not remembering what I'm doing or saying, just on auto pilot. It's horrible because I have came close to doing something stupid things while like that. Even the simplest tasks like getting myself a cup of tea goes out the window.

Quick Reply

Latest