The Student Room Group

Ask Peterhouse!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ComputerMaths97
Could you please tell me the possible flags that come up next to an applicant and also explain each of them in a bit more detail? I'm being given conflicting answers from "Non-official" sources :biggrin:

Thank you!

You can find the details here.
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/decisions/contextual-data

Also, interesting insight into how flags work in real situations.
http://www.theguardian.com/education/2012/jan/10/how-cambridge-admissions-really-work

Thank you for your information. How do flags work for EU and overseas applicants?
Hello Peterhouse admissions,
I would like to apply for chemical engineering and I have done 2 AS Level: Mathematics (86%) and Chemistry (89%) :frown:
I am planning to take A2 Mathematics and Chemistry and A Level Physics, and my teacher predicted me A*A*A
I was just wondering, do I still have a chance to be admitted to Cambridge? Do you have any advice ? :s-smilie:
Hi,
I'm predicted A*A*A* and I want to apply for History. Only problem is my History UMS at AS was quite low (84%). Would that be a problem for me?
Reply 64
Original post by Lesmisgirl
Thank you for your information. How do flags work for EU and overseas applicants?

They don't have the same level of contextual data for non-Home candidates. But you might get flag "type 3" if your school doesn't send many successful Cambridge applicants each year.

http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/admissions/handbook/section1/1_4.html

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 65
How much of an advantage is conferred by doing 4 a levels?

I would be applying for engineering, with Maths, Further maths, Physics and Computing - I'm thinking of dropping computing as I really don't enjoy it and I'm already stressed about the coursework.

My AS UMS average was 99.3% across Maths, FM and physics. I also got an A in computing.
Reply 66
Hi and thanks for the thread:smile:

I hate to ask one of these questions but I'm thinking of applying for Economics and was wondering if I have a realistic chance at an offer or even an interview?

4A* 7A at GCSE and for AS my UMS scores are - Maths 270/300 F Maths 257/300 Economics 192/200 Geography 166/200. All from an average state school.

Thanks in advance
Reply 67
Hello, it's really great that you're giving up your time to do this thread :smile:.I'm hoping to apply for comp sci with nat sci at Peterhouse and I was wondering if the college test would have questions in the style of maths challenges or step papers or tsa type questions? I've already asked the Christs AT but since you're the college I want to apply to I thought I'd ask you as well. In year 12 I completed Maths and FM A level and got A* in both, and I was wondering if I got an offer would they affect the standard offer at all? Also what is the average UMS for an offer for comp sci at Peterhouse?Thank you very much. :smile:
Reply 68
Hi, I just wanted to ask how competitive the music course is at Cambridge in general? Do most applicants get to atleast interview stage when they apply?
Do certain subject combos matter when applying for music or is having music A-level all we need? I know i'll be doing english and two other sciences.
Would I have to be on grade 8 on my main instrument by the time I apply?
Hi. I asked the same question to the Christ's tutor but am keen to see what your response would be since if I applied to Cambridge, I would apply to Peterhouse. I want to apply for medicine and achieved the following AS UMS percentages:
Maths + FMaths: 95.857....%
Physics: 94.6666....%
Chemistry: 86.6666...%
Biology: 80.3333....%.
This gives me a UMS average of 92% in best three. However, I was concerned that due to low scores in biology and chemistry which are of course the most relevant for medicine, how would I fare as an applicant? I decided not to apply but my teachers are still encouraging me to with these results. I understand that a high BMAT score can compensate but want to know what kind of scores are required to compensate. Thank you.
I'm interested in studying English at Peterhouse but I'm unsure of my chances.

Gcse:4A*,4A,2B
AS level:
History -89% ums
English lit -88%ums
RS-86%
Classics-86%.
So my top 3 average is only 88%, and i'd appreciate it if you were entirely blunt with me about my chances of getting an interview and/or offer.
Would i be in the lowest cohort and be sifted out immediately?

Thanks.
Original post by thedylanman
Hi. I asked the same question to the Christ's tutor but am keen to see what your response would be since if I applied to Cambridge, I would apply to Peterhouse. I want to apply for medicine and achieved the following AS UMS percentages:
Maths + FMaths: 95.857....%
Physics: 94.6666....%
Chemistry: 86.6666...%
Biology: 80.3333....%.
This gives me a UMS average of 92% in best three. However, I was concerned that due to low scores in biology and chemistry which are of course the most relevant for medicine, how would I fare as an applicant? I decided not to apply but my teachers are still encouraging me to with these results. I understand that a high BMAT score can compensate but want to know what kind of scores are required to compensate. Thank you.

For science subjects, it's not the best three that count, it's the most relevant three. So you would have to include biology and chemistry in the calculation, I'm afraid...
Hi!

Do Natural Sciences applicants for Peterhouse have to sit a test for admissions?

Also do these grades give me a good chance of receiving an offer?:
Physics - 92%
Maths - 99%
Chemistry - 91%
French - 92%

Thankyou! :smile:
Reply 73
Hi!
I have a UMS related question for Economics.
I got an A* in maths in year 12 but my UMS average across my top 3 is 93.7 (94.3 - maths 92- economics 94 for physics). I understand this lies roughly around the average for economics applicants, however, will having an A* in maths already lead to a considerable increase in my application's competitiveness?
I got 10A* and an A at GCSE and will be doing further maths this year. How competitive will my application be as an estimate?

thank you
Firstly thank you for this thread!

I am applying to study law, do my grades give me a possible chance of getting an interview?

GCSE's: (taken at an underachieving school)
5A*'s, 4A's and 1C

AS results: (taken after moving to a grammar school)
History = A
Politics = A
Philosophy = A
Biology = A
My average UMS percentage is 95%
Original post by Hydeman
For science subjects, it's not the best three that count, it's the most relevant three. So you would have to include biology and chemistry in the calculation, I'm afraid...

No it isn't for medicine it's the best three.
No it isn't for medicine it's the best three.

Er, no it's not. If you're so sure of the answer, why are you even asking?

Have a read: http://www.pem.cam.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduates/faqs/.

Read the bit about UMS averages. It's only best three in arts/humanities subjects, not science subjects. Your SUMS average comes to 87.6 percent by my calculation. I suggest you wait for the Admissions Tutor.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hydeman
Er, no it's not. If you're so sure of the answer, why are you even asking?

Have a read: http://www.pem.cam.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduates/faqs/.

Read the bit about UMS averages. It's only best three in arts/humanities subjects, not science subjects. Your SUMS average comes to 87.6 percent by my calculation. I suggest you wait for the Admissions Tutor.

I'm not asking whether my UMS average is in those subjects? And yes it is I've spoken to many admissions tutors before and if you apply with 4 sciences at a level for medicine they look at best 3. And yes we'll wait for the admissions tutor.
I'm not asking whether my UMS average is in those subjects? And yes it is I've spoken to many admissions tutors before and if you apply with 4 sciences at a level for medicine they look at best 3. And yes we'll wait for the admissions tutor.

That may be the case (although I have yet to hear it from an Admissions Tutor) but I find it pretty difficult to believe that they'll include physics in place of biology in the SUMS calculation for medicine.
Hello, I visited Cambridge during the July open day and fell in love with Peterhouse the moment I got there. Nevertheless, although content with my results I'm not sure if I have any realistic chance to get in or if I'm "Cambridge material". I would like to study economics. My results are these:
IGCSE: 6 A*, 3 A
AS level:
- Geography B (dropping it for A2)
- History A (83% average)
- Economics A (87% average)
- Maths A (87% average)
- Spanish A (98% average)
I'm expecting A*A*AA as predictions for this year.
Also, I wanted to ask to what extent the lack of further maths weakens my application, and whether spanish a-level counts given that I'm actually Spanish :colondollar:. Thank you in advance.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending