The Student Room Group

Has anyone done a full A level in a year?

Hi Guys

I'm just wondering if anyone has done a subject, AS and A2 in one year? If so, how did it go and what grade did you (or are you predicted) to get?

Reason I am asking is because I want to do a Maths A level in a year. I didn't take it for A level but regret it as some uni's for my desired course ask for it. I have always been okay at it.

So if anyone has done this in maths, then that would be even better if you let me know!

Also,would you recommend stats or maths (not mechanics) if I was to do this- for an economics degree.

All replies are welcome!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
I've just started a third year at sixth form where I'm doing the full Further Maths a level in one year, the only problem is when topics from AS are needed for A2, but my teacher has juggled the order of teaching around so that it should all fit together, as I'm not the only one doing it all in one year.
Reply 2
Original post by Alex621
I've just started a third year at sixth form where I'm doing the full Further Maths a level in one year, the only problem is when topics from AS are needed for A2, but my teacher has juggled the order of teaching around so that it should all fit together, as I'm not the only one doing it all in one year.

Yeah that's the problem I'm apparently going to have, AS and A2 link together. I don't think it would be too much of a problem though? But I'm not sure
Reply 3
I've done As and A2 Further Maths in one year (final year, 3rd year, 2014/2015). I loved maths, but around the time I started 6th form I was scared that it might be too hard. To be noted: by the end of 2nd year I achieved A in A-level maths. At the end of 3rd year I retook A-Level Maths and achieved A*, in A-Level Further Maths I got A, and in A-Level Computing (3rd subject) I got A. In the end I only had 3 A-Levels, since I kind of messed up in Secondary School and As Physics in College. There was also some one in my class doing same subjects, but was doing A2 Maths (,unlike me) along side A-Level (AS and A2) Further Maths. He got an A* in Further Maths, because he studied properly (obviously, I regret for not getting the A* like I promised to my teachers). For the record with both did STEP (we both got a 2 in it) maths and AEA maths (I failed somehow and he got a Merit).

Further Maths modules in my College: Statistics 2 (S2), Mechanics 1 (M1), Mechanics 2 (M2), Further Maths 1 (FP1), Further Maths 2 (FP2) and Further Maths 3 (FP3). I did Statistics 1 (S1) for A-Level Maths.

For Further Maths, I had to learn FP1 (a module, I guess) before the 3rd year started, otherwise I would had difficult with modules in A2 Further Maths (FP2 and FP3). Over the summer holiday I watched all Exam Solutions' Videos. I should have also read the FP1 book and done all the exercises in it, though instead I did them just before the lessons over the year. Over all I found FP1 easy, and it didn't interfere with other modules.

For A-Level Maths you will have to learn C1 (Core 1) and C2 (Core 2), though they are changing the exams, if your exam board is edexcel exam (like mine). C1 is rather easy and mostly reminder of Secondary School Maths. I personally was good with Maths so I would say I found A-Level maths easy and would highly recommend doing Maths in one year. But I also would consider if the current A-Levels I have is enough to get into the University you want. There is no reason to overload your self. Depression won't kill you most likely, so it should make you stronger, but there is the possibility. As far as I know Economics does not need integration and geometry (and etc), so stats would be better. Though I found core maths easier.

KAKAKAkA!
Reply 4
Original post by SJO1997
Yeah that's the problem I'm apparently going to have, AS and A2 link together. I don't think it would be too much of a problem though? But I'm not sure

I don't think there was too much that overlapped in the the main maths course, I did ocr mei and the main thing you needed to know for c3 and c4 was differentiation and integration, so maybe just trying to read ahead on topics which you need from AS.

It's definitely possible but you might just have to do a bit of extra work on your own.

Do you need to do the full a level? Some unis will recognise that applicants realised 'too late' that it would be a good idea to do further maths for some courses and would be ok with you just doing the AS, so maybe it's the same for ordinary maths?
Yes, I did A-Level maths and further maths in a year each, and got A* for both, so it's definitely possible.

If you dislike mechanics, it really only leaves stats and decision.
I would always advise mechanics over stats though, it's easier in the long run. Fewer ridiculous tests and protocol to memorise, and more problem solving.
Original post by Infraspecies
Yes, I did A-Level maths and further maths in a year each, and got A* for both, so it's definitely possible.

I would always advise mechanics over stats though, it's easier in the long run. Fewer ridiculous tests and protocol to memorise, and more problem solving.

How did you do it, through a college or on your own? If through a college, did they teach both AS and A2 at the same time?
Original post by Hashim123
How did you do it, through a college or on your own? If through a college, did they teach both AS and A2 at the same time?

A-level maths was in one year at college in year 12, we just did the AS before christmas, and A2 after, and the same with further in year 13.

Back in the day of January exam period.
A-level maths was in one year at college in year 12, we just did the AS before christmas, and A2 after, and the same with further in year 13.

Back in the day of January exam period.

So you did the whole AS in a few months? How did you find that?
So you did the whole AS in a few months? How did you find that?

Easy, really. It's just C1, C2, S1 & D1. That's like, 4 weeks each for C1 & C2, and 2 for S1 and D1, which is fair, I think.
Reply 10
Original post by 0VOID0
I've done As and A2 Further Maths in one year (final year, 3rd year, 2014/2015). I loved maths, but around the time I started 6th form I was scared that it might be too hard. To be noted: by the end of 2nd year I achieved A in A-level maths. At the end of 3rd year I retook A-Level Maths and achieved A*, in A-Level Further Maths I got A, and in A-Level Computing (3rd subject) I got A. In the end I only had 3 A-Levels, since I kind of messed up in Secondary School and As Physics in College. There was also some one in my class doing same subjects, but was doing A2 Maths (,unlike me) along side A-Level (AS and A2) Further Maths. He got an A* in Further Maths, because he studied properly (obviously, I regret for not getting the A* like I promised to my teachers). For the record with both did STEP (we both got a 2 in it) maths and AEA maths (I failed somehow and he got a Merit).

Further Maths modules in my College: Statistics 2 (S2), Mechanics 1 (M1), Mechanics 2 (M2), Further Maths 1 (FP1), Further Maths 2 (FP2) and Further Maths 3 (FP3). I did Statistics 1 (S1) for A-Level Maths.

For Further Maths, I had to learn FP1 (a module, I guess) before the 3rd year started, otherwise I would had difficult with modules in A2 Further Maths (FP2 and FP3). Over the summer holiday I watched all Exam Solutions' Videos. I should have also read the FP1 book and done all the exercises in it, though instead I did them just before the lessons over the year. Over all I found FP1 easy, and it didn't interfere with other modules.

For A-Level Maths you will have to learn C1 (Core 1) and C2 (Core 2), though they are changing the exams, if your exam board is edexcel exam (like mine). C1 is rather easy and mostly reminder of Secondary School Maths. I personally was good with Maths so I would say I found A-Level maths easy and would highly recommend doing Maths in one year. But I also would consider if the current A-Levels I have is enough to get into the University you want. There is no reason to overload your self. Depression won't kill you most likely, so it should make you stronger, but there is the possibility. As far as I know Economics does not need integration and geometry (and etc), so stats would be better. Though I found core maths easier.

KAKAKAkA!

Thanks for the reply! So from the sounds of you and everyone on here, it definitely seems do able, so I will look to do it. I don't think a full a level along side 2 A2's would be too bad, it's like retaking an As. I think I should be alright. I think I agree that stats is better for economics and it is deemed to be easier so I will probably try to do that.

However, maths is C1 C2 D1 C3 C4 S1. Which would you recommend? Maths or stats?

Thanks for letting me know your story, well done that you did well too!
Thinking of doing economics in a year, anyone done that?
Reply 12
Original post by Alex621
I don't think there was too much that overlapped in the the main maths course, I did ocr mei and the main thing you needed to know for c3 and c4 was differentiation and integration, so maybe just trying to read ahead on topics which you need from AS.

It's definitely possible but you might just have to do a bit of extra work on your own.

Do you need to do the full a level? Some unis will recognise that applicants realised 'too late' that it would be a good idea to do further maths for some courses and would be ok with you just doing the AS, so maybe it's the same for ordinary maths?

Yeah I plan to work a lot harder this year so I am willing to read ahead or research on anything I need to.

Well an AS would strengthen my application, but I would have a much wider range of uni's with the full A level, and I want to do it over my PE a level because I have just lost interest for that subject!
Reply 13

Well done firstly!

The thing is, mechanics is the least relevant to economics, and mechanics is not offered in my college as part of the single maths or stats A level, and I can't do further maths in a year with 2 A2's, so I'll have to stats or the core and decision
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by SheLikeTheMango
Thinking of doing economics in a year, anyone done that?

Not in a year, I've done AS and now doing A2, but unit 1 & 3 are similar and so are Unit 2 & 4. The exam techniques are the same and the course content all is linked. You may have to work hard for the AS part to get some of the A2
Easy, really. It's just C1, C2, S1 & D1. That's like, 4 weeks each for C1 & C2, and 2 for S1 and D1, which is fair, I think.

And nothing but those four modules would usually be spread out over the first year of an A-Level?
Original post by SJO1997
Well done firstly!

The thing is, mechanics is the least relevant to economics, and mechanics is not offered in my college as part of the single maths or stats A level, and I can't do further maths in a year with 2 A2's, so I'll have to stats or the core and decision

Oh I see, well that's fair then.
And nothing but those four modules would usually be spread out over the first year of an A-Level?

Well, that was the AS level in maths, when I did it, anyway, which we all did before Christmas.
Maths is mostly technique so it can be done (I would pick M1 and S1 or S1 and D1 for applied). You would need an incredible amount of effort if this is actually allowed though and all I can reccomend is going through all the AS stuff and getting it nailed (I had done this by about December so it can be done) and then focus on A2.
Reply 19
Original post by Docjones1
Maths is mostly technique so it can be done (I would pick M1 and S1 or S1 and D1 for applied). You would need an incredible amount of effort if this is actually allowed though and all I can reccomend is going through all the AS stuff and getting it nailed (I had done this by about December so it can be done) and then focus on A2.

Ok thanks for he advice! I'll be sure o crack on with he AS nice and early if I do it

Quick Reply

Latest