The Student Room Group

How do I manage all my A levels?

Hey, I want to get an A in all my a levels. Well I'm doing the two year course, so technically the only AS I'll take this year is maths. I am doing biology, chemistry maths and physics. I can't help but feel like I'm not going to manage.... To anyone that had similar subjects how did you do it? What was your routine? Plus I heard physics gets very tricky at A2?? O.O
Original post by Questioness
Hey, I want to get an A in all my a levels. Well I'm doing the two year course, so technically the only AS I'll take this year is maths. I am doing biology, chemistry maths and physics. I can't help but feel like I'm not going to manage.... To anyone that had similar subjects how did you do it? What was your routine? Plus I heard physics gets very tricky at A2?? O.O

I did chemistry, biology and maths :biggrin: I managed by doing my homework as soon as i got it and by revising things as i learnt them, that worked for me. You can't cram with these subjects and makeup sure to keep the homework/tests you do as well, so you can use them for practice before the real exam.
Reply 2
Original post by Hayley Williams
I did chemistry, biology and maths :biggrin: I managed by doing my homework as soon as i got it and by revising things as i learnt them, that worked for me. You can't cram with these subjects and makeup sure to keep the homework/tests you do as well, so you can use them for practice before the real exam.

Honestly, I I saw the size of my science books. My heart honestly broke AND it's only AS. My biology teacher gave this speak about the fails last year and how the bio and Chem combinations was hard. Its was disheartening as I'm taking three science :frown: . Do you think I should drop one? I don't see the difference as taking something like history is just as much effort and content right?
These are honestly subjects I enjoy, but it seems that everywhere I look- left or right everyone is failing these Exams.

Honestly I haven't got much aspirations but I'm just doing subjects I enjoy and willing to work for.
Reply 3
Honestly, I I saw the size of my science books. My heart honestly broke AND it's only AS. My biology teacher gave this speak about the fails last year and how the bio and Chem combinations was hard. Its was disheartening as I'm taking three science :frown: . Do you think I should drop one? I don't see the difference as taking something like history is just as much effort and content right?
These are honestly subjects I enjoy, but it seems that everywhere I look- left or right everyone is failing these Exams.

Honestly I haven't got much aspirations but I'm just doing subjects I enjoy and willing to work for.

I did chem, physics, maths and further maths. At the start I did not understand chem, physics and f maths that much and it was confusing. I just tried to go over what we did in class at home everyday and eventually understood it after Christmas break. Doing 3-4 hours of work with breaks was good enough for me to get A*A*AA.

You will have a lot of time during study break to revise whatever you don't understand. Also History has a lot of content and coursework and looks like too much work imo.
Reply 4
Original post by ETRC
I did chem, physics, maths and further maths. At the start I did not understand chem, physics and f maths that much and it was confusing. I just tried to go over what we did in class at home everyday and eventually understood it after Christmas break. Doing 3-4 hours of work with breaks was good enough for me to get A*A*AA.

You will have a lot of time during study break to revise whatever you don't understand. Also History has a lot of content and coursework and looks like too much work imo.

Woow, your grades are amazing O.O What did you get A*s in? Yeah, right now I understand Chem and bio okay so far. Physics is a it confusing :s-smilie: but I've only had about 6 lessons. Is there anything you did that helped you remember? right now it feels like I'm reading but it's not entering my brain.

Revision guides helped me with the sciences. It condenses the information so it's good for learning the stuff first, before using the textbook/notes to pick up on extra stuff. They also have questions to practice from.

A lot of the time things won't go in straight away, but you have to keep reading and trying questions and leaving it for it to sink in before going back, as sometimes it just takes time to sink in.

Don't leave it until the end, even now is a good time to just go over what you did in class and do some questions, and do loads of past papers when the time is right.
Reply 6
Woow, your grades are amazing O.O What did you get A*s in? Yeah, right now I understand Chem and bio okay so far. Physics is a it confusing :s-smilie: but I've only had about 6 lessons. Is there anything you did that helped you remember? right now it feels like I'm reading but it's not entering my brain.

Haha thanks I got it in maths and further maths. For physics, the first 2 months I only understood the basic mechanics stuff and tried to memorise the unit conversion. It took me a while to actually understand anything going on- I only understood 2 months before exams. At the start it will feel like you will read something and remember for a few hours then forget the next day but that it fine. If you go over stuff constantly you will remember it without thinking about it too much.

Physics was the hardest subject for me. I think most people find it the hardest. if you have a friend that understands physics then that helps a lot lol :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by SeanFM
Revision guides helped me with the sciences. It condenses the information so it's good for learning the stuff first, before using the textbook/notes to pick up on extra stuff. They also have questions to practice from.

A lot of the time things won't go in straight away, but you have to keep reading and trying questions and leaving it for it to sink in before going back, as sometimes it just takes time to sink in.

Don't leave it until the end, even now is a good time to just go over what you did in class and do some questions, and do loads of past papers when the time is right.

Yeah, I should go over the revision guides, though looking back it would have been ideal if I did it during summer. Also, I kinda feel a bit disadvantaged as I did my my core and additional in early year 10, whereas most students took it this year. This means I hardly remember anything from nearly two years ago.

Either way I think doing questions is a good start, also do u know any good sites? :smile:
Yeah, I should go over the revision guides, though looking back it would have been ideal if I did it during summer. Also, I kinda feel a bit disadvantaged as I did my my core and additional in early year 10, whereas most students took it this year. This means I hardly remember anything from nearly two years ago.

Either way I think doing questions is a good start, also do u know any good sites? :smile:

Ah don't worry, I hardly remembered anything from GCSE either.

My Chemistry teacher used http://www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk/ a lot, and my Physics tutor recommended s-cool.
Reply 9
Original post by mani119
Wow you did amazing!! and im studying the same subjects but since A- levels changed this year I have to do C1,2,3,4 and M1,2 this year. Also I was thinking of changing chemistry to economics??? I do enjoy chem but I think it will be the hardest subject

I got my lowest A2 grade in M2 out of FP2, M2 and DE. Chemistry AS is not that difficult tbh. It takes a bit to understand but most of it is easy to remember and apply.

Hi, I've just started year 13 and for AS i did physics, chemistry, maths, further maths and art. Got all A's in AS, and this year i'm dropping art.
I would say, really make sure you get to grips with new topics as soon as you do them, as you go along. During study leave, you just want to be reminding yourself of things and practising, not re-learning everything. Go over things after school, the same day you learned them - I started doing this halfway through year 12, and I found it really helps.
There is a lot of content, but you're only doing those four subjects, unlike GCSE where you do about a million, so don't worry too much, it is do-able!
Reply 11
Original post by ETRC
I got my lowest A2 grade in M2 out of FP2, M2 and DE. Chemistry AS is not that difficult tbh. It takes a bit to understand but most of it is easy to remember and apply.

If you are at University which one and what are you studying?
Reply 12
Original post by mani119
If you are at University which one and what are you studying?

LSE maths and econ
Reply 13
Original post by SeanFM
Ah don't worry, I hardly remembered anything from GCSE either.

My Chemistry teacher used http://www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk/ a lot, and my Physics tutor recommended s-cool.

Okay thanks, I'll check them both out :biggrin:
Reply 14
Original post by halfhearted
Hi, I've just started year 13 and for AS i did physics, chemistry, maths, further maths and art. Got all A's in AS, and this year i'm dropping art.
I would say, really make sure you get to grips with new topics as soon as you do them, as you go along. During study leave, you just want to be reminding yourself of things and practising, not re-learning everything. Go over things after school, the same day you learned them - I started doing this halfway through year 12, and I found it really helps.
There is a lot of content, but you're only doing those four subjects, unlike GCSE where you do about a million, so don't worry too much, it is do-able!

Yeah, that's a good point about less subjects. I get most of my subjects, I just have some questions for physics. I guess it's better to ask than struggle :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest