The Student Room Group

A2 Law OCR

Hello,
One of you may be able to help me, I have just begun A2 Law on OCR and have a 50 mark essay plan. Could anyone advise me as to how many cases I need to include to illustrate the legal point well?

Scroll to see replies

Hello, it is 8 cases :smile:
Original post by Calmclo
Hello,
One of you may be able to help me, I have just begun A2 Law on OCR and have a 50 mark essay plan. Could anyone advise me as to how many cases I need to include to illustrate the legal point well?

Reply 2
Thank you so much that helps, I shall definitely bear that in mind 😊
Hi.
I am doing A2 Law (OCR) as well, and for a stable A grade, my teacher advised me to know 10-15 cases for each topic.
But for each question its 8 isn't it???
Original post by elles-belles
But for each question its 8 isn't it???

I'd aim for 10, if you can manage it in the time given. If anything - wow the examiner and show that you are f*cking amazing at the topic. I am aiming for an A*, so I try to push myself to the very limits. 8 might be plenty though, if you've got good evaluation and you can use those 8 cases sufficiently. :smile:
Original post by saule1116
I'd aim for 10, if you can manage it in the time given. If anything - wow the examiner and show that you are f*cking amazing at the topic. I am aiming for an A*, so I try to push myself to the very limits. 8 might be plenty though, if you've got good evaluation and you can use those 8 cases sufficiently. :smile:

Aiming for the same myself 😀
Original post by elles-belles
Aiming for the same myself 😀

Glad to hear that I am not the only one who's crazy. :biggrin: Good luck to you! ^^
Glad to hear that I am not the only one who's crazy. :biggrin: Good luck to you! ^^

We are all crazy for A*s, you are not the only one, it's TSR ffs! :biggrin:
[QUOTE=0123456543210;59234487]We are all crazy for A*s, you are not the only one, it's TSR ffs! :biggrin:

😂😂 who doesn't want one
Actually at A2 it seems like things turned out to be less confusing and more interesting compared to AS. Maybe that's due to the fact that I am doing Criminal law G153 which is truly exciting while it was impossible not to fall asleep during the study of the Sources of law.
Original post by 0123456543210
Actually at A2 it seems like things turned out to be less confusing and more interesting compared to AS. Maybe that's due to the fact that I am doing Criminal law G153 which is truly exciting while it was impossible not to fall asleep during the study of the Sources of law.

I do agree with your point about A2 Law being a lot more interesting, however, I enjoyed Sources of Law a lot more than English Legal System topic...
I do agree with your point about A2 Law being a lot more interesting, however, I enjoyed Sources of Law a lot more than English Legal System topic...

I agree that it is more interesting but I too enjoy G151 English Legal System!😀
Reply 13
Thank you all! I've not started criminal law and don't think I study it as I'm doing tort law. I want an A also! 😊

It's just personal preference, however I have no idea how case law and all the ways to avoid it can be more interesting than stop and search, detention and arrest powers. :tongue:
Anyway we can forget about everything and focus on Mens Rea which is by far the most interesting topic I've done.
(edited 8 years ago)
[QUOTE=0123456543210;59236921]It's just personal preference, however I have no idea how case law and all the ways to avoid it can be more interesting than stop and search, detention and arrest powers. :tongue:
Anyway we can forget about everything and focus on Mens Rea which is by far the most interesting topic I've done.
Mens rea is interesting but intention look a little while to get my head around! Amazing how one word can change everything
this might not mean much at this time of the year but remember this... a theft question nearly always comes up so learn that well (its really easy aswell) an vol or invol manslaughter question always comes up (ATLEAST 1 of the 2). Plus strict liability came up in june 2015 (when i sat g153) so it probably wont come up this year
Original post by RoryKejz
this might not mean much at this time of the year but remember this... a theft question nearly always comes up so learn that well (its really easy aswell) an vol or invol manslaughter question always comes up (ATLEAST 1 of the 2). Plus strict liability came up in june 2015 (when i sat g153) so it probably wont come up this year

Thanks for the heads up! I'll make sure to make a note of it!
Hi. Anyone knows how our exams are actually being marked? Do the marks come purely from the quantity of facts, cases, points etc. or it also depends on whether you have missed some minor details or didn't do proper introduction/conclusion? I did an essay on omissions and pretty much wrote 6 full pages with all the details from my notes and even mark scheme, but the teacher still deducted marks from it (40/50)! :frown: Don't even understand whether I don't get it or it's just my teacher being a dick. Thank you.
Original post by 0123456543210
Hi. Anyone knows how our exams are actually being marked? Do the marks come purely from the quantity of facts, cases, points etc. or it also depends on whether you have missed some minor details or didn't do proper introduction/conclusion? I did an essay on omissions and pretty much wrote 6 full pages with all the details from my notes and even mark scheme, but the teacher still deducted marks from it (40/50)! :frown: Don't even understand whether I don't get it or it's just my teacher being a dick. Thank you.

Is this a discuss or problem question?
For a "Discus..." question - 25 marks for facts, cases, etc. 20 marks for evaluation (what's good, what's bad, reform etc, like part b) questions last year. 5 marks for QWC (Quality of Written Communication). :smile: Hope this helps in any way, if you're still unsure, ask your teacher where you went wrong and how to improve your essays in the future. Don't be too upset though, there's plenty of time to crack this as the year has just begun! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending