The Student Room Group

Is Sociology a-level considered as a general subject by universities?

Please answer the question i really need help. Thanks in advance.
Original post by Gilezzz

Eh, it depends what you're doing. Generally if you're applying for a decent/top university for a good course, then Sociology will not be highly regarded.
However if you are going to study sociology... well.
Original post by Gilezzz

What do you mean by a 'general subject'?
Reply 3
Original post by ScarletXxXRose
What do you mean by a 'general subject'?

You know in some universties...on the requirements it says excluding general studies. So they will say you need AAA but will not take any general studies.
Reply 4
Original post by phoenixsilver
Eh, it depends what you're doing. Generally if you're applying for a decent/top university for a good course, then Sociology will not be highly regarded.
However if you are going to study sociology... well.

Its not about be doing Sociology at uni but whether or not Universities see Sociology as a general studies subject? Some unis want certain grades and they say excluding general studies.
Reply 5
Original post by Gilezzz

No it isn't. You can get into good unis with it depending on your course.

Edit: Didn't read the question properly.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Gilezzz
You know in some universties...on the requirements it says excluding general studies. So they will say you need AAA but will not take any general studies.

General Studies is an A level subject in its own right. Sociology is not General Studies and is fine an an A level.
No I doubt they would see it as a general subject, I mean its similar to psychology and that's pretty highly regarded :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by HAnwar
Yeah it is. You can get into good unis with it depending on your course.

So its a general studies topic? Are you sure? Most top unis wont take general studies as an a-level option.
Reply 9
Original post by charleey98
No I doubt they would see it as a general subject, I mean its similar to psychology and that's pretty highly regarded :smile:

ok cool! Thanks
General studies is it's own subject completely different to any other subject
Sociology is a subject in its own right NOT a general studies A level

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Gilezzz
So its a general studies topic? Are you sure? Most top unis wont take general studies as an a-level option.

Sorry read my edit. I thought you meant a general normal subject, not a general studies subject.
Reply 12
Original post by Compost
General Studies is an A level subject in its own right. Sociology is not General Studies and is fine an an A level.

OK thanks for the help!
Reply 13
Original post by HAnwar
Sorry read my edit. I thought you meant a general normal subject, not a general studies subject.

Oh i see. Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest