The Student Room Group

Best science text books?

I'm taking Chemistry, Biology and Physics (as well as maths, but that's irrelevant) and I'm wondering which text books, based on use and experience with them, are the best?

I've heard the AQA Approved 1 Year AS text book by Susan Toole and Glenn Toole are good, what do you think?
Similarly, what about the Collin text books or the CGP text books?

Any input and opinions are highly appreciated, thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Bump, any help is appreciated!
Original post by Jack_devin
Bump, any help is appreciated!

What exam boards are you on for each subject?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
I'm still deciding what text books to buy for my AS/A2 (I'm doing the same subjects as you, by the way :biggrin:) but I was using CGP Books for my GCSEs and got decent grades. I think they're easy to understand and the authors often focus on the topics which students find tricky and they throw in some additional information. Whatever you choose, remember to buy new 2015 Specification.
Reply 4
Original post by Nirvana27
What exam boards are you on for each subject?

AQA for the three sciences.

Kind regards,
Jack.
Reply 5
Original post by Shedvoy
I'm still deciding what text books to buy for my AS/A2 (I'm doing the same subjects as you, by the way :biggrin:) but I was using CGP Books for my GCSEs and got decent grades. I think they're easy to understand and the authors often focus on the topics which students find tricky and they throw in some additional information. Whatever you choose, remember to buy new 2015 Specification.

Whoop! I'm enjoying the four subjects so far, what about yourself?

On the note of text books, I didn't use text books whatsoever during GCSE and done fairly well, so I've got barely any experience with them, only brief reads over a peer's shoulder while they were reading their text book :')

But yes, you raise a very good point, we need to make sure everything from text books to specifications that we refer to are the new linear syllabus!
Reply 6
Whoop! I'm enjoying the four subjects so far, what about yourself?

On the note of text books, I didn't use text books whatsoever during GCSE and done fairly well, so I've got barely any experience with them, only brief reads over a peer's shoulder while they were reading their text book :':wink:

But yes, you raise a very good point, we need to make sure everything from text books to specifications that we refer to are the new linear syllabus!

A bit terrified by Maths and Physics, at the moment, but I'm really enjoying Biology. I haven't had any actual Chemistry lesson yet so I can't say anything about it.

Also, everyone is trying to put me off doing all Sciences and Maths saying how difficult it is, that I won't have enough time for revision etc. but I'm staying positive because as my Physics teacher said "If you sell your soul you'll be fine" :smile:!
Reply 7
Original post by Shedvoy
A bit terrified by Maths and Physics, at the moment, but I'm really enjoying Biology. I haven't had any actual Chemistry lesson yet so I can't say anything about it.

Also, everyone is trying to put me off doing all Sciences and Maths saying how difficult it is, that I won't have enough time for revision etc. but I'm staying positive because as my Physics teacher said "If you sell your soul you'll be fine" :smile:!

Wise words from your Physics teacher there! :tongue:
In reality though, they are arguably the four hardest A-Level subjects and as result the work load that comes with that isn't going to be by any means small or easy. However, we took them for a reason, right?
As cliche and cheesy as it sounds we've just got to get stuck in and get our heads down. On a similar note, don't let anyone put you off something you want to do! :tongue:

As of yet I've found Physics rather tedious and mundane as we're covering electrical circuits and it's all very similar to GCSE, which I assume is being done on purpose to 'ease' us in. Biology, Chemistry and Maths on the other hand, I'm loving! I find that as long as I'm learning 'new' topics or bits of information then I'm intrigued and interested which as a result means no matter how hard it may be or seem I'll crack on with it until I know it, which is always good :smile:
Reply 8
I'm currently looking for some AQA A-Level Biology and Chemistry revision guides/textbooks too but not sure what to buy either :/
I found the CGP revision guides useful at GCSE and thinking of getting this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-2015--Level-Biology-AQA/dp/1782943196/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1441832599&sr=1-2&keywords=aqa+a+level+biology+cgp

But I might get another one as well as I wouldn't want to rely on just one book.
Reply 9
Original post by Sam1875
I'm currently looking for some AQA A-Level Biology and Chemistry revision guides/textbooks too but not sure what to buy either :/
I found the CGP revision guides useful at GCSE and thinking of getting this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-2015--Level-Biology-AQA/dp/1782943196/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1441832599&sr=1-2&keywords=aqa+a+level+biology+cgp

But I might get another one as well as I wouldn't want to rely on just one book.

My Physics teacher said Oxford textbooks are better than the CGP but I haven't had a closer look at them yet.
Reply 10
Wise words from your Physics teacher there! :tongue:
In reality though, they are arguably the four hardest A-Level subjects and as result the work load that comes with that isn't going to be by any means small or easy. However, we took them for a reason, right?
As cliche and cheesy as it sounds we've just got to get stuck in and get our heads down. On a similar note, don't let anyone put you off something you want to do! :tongue:

As of yet I've found Physics rather tedious and mundane as we're covering electrical circuits and it's all very similar to GCSE, which I assume is being done on purpose to 'ease' us in. Biology, Chemistry and Maths on the other hand, I'm loving! I find that as long as I'm learning 'new' topics or bits of information then I'm intrigued and interested which as a result means no matter how hard it may be or seem I'll crack on with it until I know it, which is always good :smile:

There's always Further Maths but preferably you'd want to avoid it and live a happy life.

Would you mind if I ask what you got in your Science and Maths GCSEs? I'm just curious how well you did without textbooks compared to me :P

Also, what are you planning on doing in the future? I'm assuming you want to go to a uni with those A-levels.
Reply 11
Original post by Shedvoy
There's always Further Maths but preferably you'd want to avoid it and live a happy life.

Would you mind if I ask what you got in your Science and Maths GCSEs? I'm just curious how well you did without textbooks compared to me :P

Also, what are you planning on doing in the future? I'm assuming you want to go to a uni with those A-levels.

I completed AQA's Triple Science award and EdExcel Maths, I came out with A*'s in them all.
On the note of aspirations, I want to go to Oxbridge, Edinburgh or one of the other high performing Russel Groups and study medicine.

What about yourself?
Reply 12
Original post by Shedvoy
My Physics teacher said Oxford textbooks are better than the CGP but I haven't had a closer look at them yet.

Oxford textbooks? Can't say I've heard of those but yeah I have always found the CGP ones pretty good, but doesn't have absolutely everything, just key stuff I think!
Reply 13
I completed AQA's Triple Science award and EdExcel Maths, I came out with A*'s in them all.
On the note of aspirations, I want to go to Oxbridge, Edinburgh or one of the other high performing Russel Groups and study medicine.

What about yourself?

That is just amazing! I completed AQA's Triple science too and got A in Core and Additional and A* in Further Additional. I also got an A in Maths (Edexcel).

I would love to go to any veterinary university, preferably Royal Veterinary College in London.

On a side note, I got a letter from college saying that "I have a potential to go to either Oxford or Cambridge University" and that I am invited to an Oxbridge Application Workshop.

I have no idea where they saw this potential for Oxford or Cambridge since that A* I got in Further Additional was the only A* I got :'D
Reply 14
Original post by Sam1875
Oxford textbooks? Can't say I've heard of those but yeah I have always found the CGP ones pretty good, but doesn't have absolutely everything, just key stuff I think!

Yes, they are pretty condensed. Maybe CGP revision guides before the exams and Oxford textbooks for lessons?
Reply 15
Original post by Shedvoy
Yes, they are pretty condensed. Maybe CGP revision guides before the exams and Oxford textbooks for lessons?

Yeah that sounds good, do you have a link to the Oxford textbooks if they are for the new spec AQA?
Reply 16
Original post by Sam1875
Yeah that sounds good, do you have a link to the Oxford textbooks if they are for the new spec AQA?

http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/science/as-and-a-level-physics-textbooks

Quick Reply

Latest