The Student Room Group

How hard is A-level Physics?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by morgan8002
Sorry, I read structural.
Same through. Maths and physics are required or recommended if only one is required. Further maths is recommended.

You should take maths and physics. You should think about whether to take further maths and/or whatever other subject(s) you want to study for the sake of themselves.
What other subjects are you thinking of?

I think maths and physics are definite for me. The problem I have is deciding the third. I would consider taking further maths as it seems like it would benefit me.
However, I read somewhere that chemistry is also recommended. I really hope not because chemistry is my weakest point.
Original post by cleverclogs_
I think maths and physics are definite for me. The problem I have is deciding the third. I would consider taking further maths as it seems like it would benefit me.
However, I read somewhere that chemistry is also recommended. I really hope not because chemistry is my weakest point.

Make sure you pick subjects that you like. If you take 3 ASs, you'll be pretty much stuck with them for two years. I took chemistry at A-level and I love the subject but it's not a good subject to take if you don't like it. Plus it was my hardest A-level.
Original post by morgan8002
Make sure you pick subjects that you like. If you take 3 ASs, you'll be pretty much stuck with them for two years. I took chemistry at A-level and I love the subject but it's not a good subject to take if you don't like it. Plus it was my hardest A-level.

Thanks so much!
I really think I need to consider my last option as I know I'm happy with the other two, whereas I know chemistry is really not my best area.
Thanks for all the good advice!
You also need to consider what you want to do at uni or whatever you want to go to. Aren't you choosing 4 AS's?
Reply 24
Thanks so much!
I really think I need to consider my last option as I know I'm happy with the other two, whereas I know chemistry is really not my best area.
Thanks for all the good advice!

Hi,

I suggest you check out a few universities where you might be interested in going and go to the entry requirements bit. They will say which subjects they require and which they prefer. E.g. University of Bath requires Physics and Maths and prefer to have Chemistry, Further Maths or Design and Technology as the third subject.
Hope this helps!
Reply 25
Further maths is probably more useful for engineering than chemistry, and if chemistry is a weak point for you you shouldn't really pick it anyway, as you'll be less likely to enjoy it and will possibly end up with a lower grade compared to your other subjects. Further maths has mechanics modules, which are pretty useful for engineers. Given the choice, I personally would pick Further Maths, though I might be biased because I am doing Further Maths and not Chemistry. Just a few things to consider.

Also, Further Maths looks really good for any maths related subject you want to study at uni.
Original post by Angel28
Hi,

I suggest you check out a few universities where you might be interested in going and go to the entry requirements bit. They will say which subjects they require and which they prefer. E.g. University of Bath requires Physics and Maths and prefer to have Chemistry, Further Maths or Design and Technology as the third subject.
Hope this helps!

Hi, thanks for the advice!
Funny thing, I was actually looking to go to Bath University as that's where I saw the chemistry part. But I didn't notice the further maths part aswell so thanks for that!
Might end up taking further maths instead of chemistry.
Thankyou!
Original post by Guthix
Further maths is probably more useful for engineering than chemistry, and if chemistry is a weak point for you you shouldn't really pick it anyway, as you'll be less likely to enjoy it and will possibly end up with a lower grade compared to your other subjects. Further maths has mechanics modules, which are pretty useful for engineers. Given the choice, I personally would pick Further Maths, though I might be biased because I am doing Further Maths and not Chemistry. Just a few things to consider.

Also, Further Maths looks really good for any maths related subject you want to study at uni.

Thanks for the great advice!
I think I might choose further maths as it seems like I would do better in it.
How do you find Further Maths?
Original post by Vikingninja
You also need to consider what you want to do at uni or whatever you want to go to. Aren't you choosing 4 AS's?

I was planning on going to Universitu to study mechanical engineering.
My school only let us choose 3AS's as it is compulsory for our fourth to be Welsh Baccularate.
Reply 29
At GCSE I got an A with no work. At AS I worked my butt off and still only got a D...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
At GCSE I got an A with no work. At AS I worked my butt off and still only got a D...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you enjoy it though?
Reply 31
Thanks for the great advice!
I think I might choose further maths as it seems like I would do better in it.
How do you find Further Maths?

So far, it's going really nicely. Doing it means that I did all six maths modules (WJEC) last year, and managed to score 100% on all of the core modules. I've started the further modules this year (FP1 and S2 so far) and they're fun. So many different things! Like complex numbers and maths thereof, and in terms of statistics, there's continous distributions (uniform and normal) and a load of cool stuff (that's the technical term) you can do with it. If you have an A* in Mathematics GCSE, you should definetely go for it if you're interested I should say.

I'm personally hoping to do Maths with Computer Science at uni :smile:
Original post by Guthix
So far, it's going really nicely. Doing it means that I did all six maths modules (WJEC) last year, and managed to score 100% on all of the core modules. I've started the further modules this year (FP1 and S2 so far) and they're fun. So many different things! Like complex numbers and maths thereof, and in terms of statistics, there's continous distributions (uniform and normal) and a load of cool stuff (that's the technical term) you can do with it. If you have an A* in Mathematics GCSE, you should definetely go for it if you're interested I should say.

I'm personally hoping to do Maths with Computer Science at uni :smile:

Thanks so much for all of your good advice!
I think I am going to go with Further Maths as it does sound really interesting. It just means now I have to really put all my effort and time in to complete the GCSE maths.
Thanks again and good luck with your A-levels and uni! :smile:
If you are looking into top tier universities then I would say further maths but it is hell of a lot harder than normal maths from what I can tell, first and second years of normal in a single year.
Reply 34
Did you enjoy it though?

Yeah otherwise I wouldn't have continued it to A2 this year:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
Hi, thanks for the advice!
Funny thing, I was actually looking to go to Bath University as that's where I saw the chemistry part. But I didn't notice the further maths part aswell so thanks for that!
Might end up taking further maths instead of chemistry.
Thankyou!

No problem :smile:
Another thing is are you sure you would like to do mechanical engineering? Because if at some point you decide you want to do chemical engineering then you would need to have done chemistry.
But if you are sure you want to do mechanical then it seems it is best to do further maths as you don't like chemistry. It does appear to be advantageous to have done further maths for any engineering course. Also, if given the option between mechanical and statistical modules, go for the mechanical modules as they are more relevant for engineering.
Hope I didn't add to the confusion!
Original post by Andy98
Yeah otherwise I wouldn't have continued it to A2 this year:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Think I might go for it then:redface:
Original post by Angel28
No problem :smile:
Another thing is are you sure you would like to do mechanical engineering? Because if at some point you decide you want to do chemical engineering then you would need to have done chemistry.
But if you are sure you want to do mechanical then it seems it is best to do further maths as you don't like chemistry. It does appear to be advantageous to have done further maths for any engineering course. Also, if given the option between mechanical and statistical modules, go for the mechanical modules as they are more relevant for engineering.
Hope I didn't add to the confusion!

Thanks again for such good advice:smile:
I think I am set to do mechanical engineering as chemistry just doesn't interest me and it is definelty my weak point.
I think I do get the options between the modules though so I will definelty take the Mechanical one!
Thanks again
Original post by Vikingninja
If you are looking into top tier universities then I would say further maths but it is hell of a lot harder than normal maths from what I can tell, first and second years of normal in a single year.

Think I'm going to go for the Further Maths as more people seem to be saying it's more valuable. I just have to put in a lot more effort so I can keep up.
Thanks!
Original post by SheLikeTheMango
I also got a B at AS physics but not sure whether to stick with it for A2. Seeing your story gives me hope, all I need is an A minimum. Should I stick with it?

Honestly go for it. Even with retaking unit 1 which didn't even go up by much I just improved a lot and refined my revision technique and skills and aced the a2 modules and for some reason it totalled an A* at the end mainly as grade boundaries are quite low. But yes it is possible don't be disheartened with a B just work hard and it will naturally become easier than AS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest