The Student Room Group

Likelihood of an unconditional offer?

Hello, I was just wondering if there was any possibility of me receiving an unconditional offer. I received AAAA at AS (English Lit, geography, history and German) but only 5 As, 4 Bs and a C at GCSE. With good predicted A2 grades and a great personal statement and reference, is it possible for me to get an unconditional offer? (P.s. I want to study German and English)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Atomicmat
Hello, I was just wondering there was any possibility of me receiving an unconditional offer. I received AAAA at AS (English Lit, geography, history and German) but only 5 As, 4 Bs and a C at GCSE. With good predicted A2 grades and a great personal statement and reference, is it possible for me to get an unconditional offer? (P.s. I want to study German and English)

You have good AS grades so its very possible. But universities are unpredictable so you never can say
Reply 2
That is probably dependent upon the universities - where are you thinking of applying to? Congrats on those grades, by the way! :h:
Reply 3
Original post by ewil
That is probably dependent upon the universities - where are you thinking of applying to? Congrats on those grades, by the way! :h:

Thank you! 😊 currently I'm thinking:
Nottingham
Southampton
Queen Mary's
Surrey
Reading

I did read online that the top uni's have been giving out unconditional offers to high achieving students so? However there is the problem of my not so amazing GCSE results 😕😊
Reply 4
Nottingham
Southampton
Queen Mary's
Surrey
Reading

I did read online that the top uni's have been giving out unconditional offers to high achieving students so? However there is the problem of my not so amazing GCSE results 😕😊

Top unis rarely give out unconditional offers, except for post A-level applicants. There has been a trend for less good unis to do it, but you shouldn't rely on it. Just continue to do well with your A2s. After all, you will do better with good A2s when you apply for a job.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by jneill
Top unis rarely give out unconditional offers, except for post A-level applicants. There has been a trend for less good unis to do it, but you shouldn't rely on it. Just continue to do well with your A2s. After all, you will do better with good A2s when you apply for a job.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm yeah, but I have heard of good uni's like Queen Mary and Birmingham giving out unconditionals to those who haven't sat their A2s?
Reply 6
Hmm yeah, but I have heard of good uni's like Queen Mary and Birmingham giving out unconditionals to those who haven't sat their A2s?

Even if they do you still need to go on to get good A2s. It's a marketing ploy. Don't let it distract you.

Edit to add: apply to unis that have the courses you want to do, not because they *might* make an unconditional offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by jneill
Even if they do you still need to go on to get good A2s. It's a marketing ploy. Don't let it distract you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh no of course, I would continue to work hard and hopefully achieve good A Levels, but it would obviously be nice to have less stress! :smile:
Reply 8
Nottingham
Southampton
Queen Mary's
Surrey
Reading

To be honest, they might not put huge weight on GCSE's - which weren't bad anyway! I think everyone dreams of unconditionals, but we'll all just have to see I guess😊
Reply 9
[QUOTE=ewil;59285391]To be honest, they might not put huge weight on GCSE's - which weren't bad anyway! I think everyone dreams of unconditionals, but we'll all just have to see I guess😊

Yeah, perhaps not! And thank you 😊 yes, they certainly are a thing of dreams aren't they 😂
Reply 10
Oh no of course, I would continue to work hard and hopefully achieve good A Levels, but it would obviously be nice to have less stress!

Seriously. don't pick unis because they *might* offer an unconditional.
really depends on the uni and your application - its not worth banking on it because even unis who are known to give unconditionals wont necessarily give one to you based on your grades (for example my uni gave them on interview performance)
ayyo. I got AAAB whats the likelihood of me getting an unconditional for Law?
Yeah, perhaps not! And thank you 😊 yes, they certainly are a thing of dreams aren't they 😂

They aren't always. For a start, it's being done to prevent students applying elsewhere post-results day via adjustment, since you aren't eligible with an unconditional offer. It's also a marketing ploy to flatter the applicant into choosing the university when they may not have done so otherwise. It's all too easy to opt for the course which claims to want you badly instead of the one which really suits you better. The bottom line is that this has evolved to suit the needs of the universities, not the applicants, and these offers should be regarded with a bit of suspicion.
Reply 14
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
They aren't always. For a start, it's being done to prevent students applying elsewhere post-results day via adjustment, since you aren't eligible with an unconditional offer. It's also a marketing ploy to flatter the applicant into choosing the university when they may not have done so otherwise. It's all too easy to opt for the course which claims to want you badly instead of the one which really suits you better. The bottom line is that this has evolved to suit the needs of the universities, not the applicants, and these offers should be regarded with a bit of suspicion.

Yes, I did actually know this but it's obviously a good thing if you're given an unconditional offer from your top university which you were originally going to choose if you achieved the grades requested. However, I totally see how it can be a dilemma if you're given one from a uni who's course you're not so keen on.

Quick Reply

Latest