The Student Room Group

Is it ever a good idea to contact an ex?

I was on holiday and a little tipsy a couple nights ago and I texted my ex. All the message said was hi and he responded the next day. I thought he either wouldn't reply or his responses would be short and sweet, but he was his usual self and the conversation quickly developed over the last few days. I'm not expecting anything out of it, I guess i missed him and wanted to see how he was doing. A part of me thinks the text was a mistake and maybe I shouldn't have bothered.

I kinda feel like I'm hanging on or he might think I'm chasing him or something.

We broke up on good terms I would say, we didn't agree to stay friends though and we haven't had any contact in two months.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Delete phone number. Catch yourself on. Stop messing with his feelings.
Reply 2
Didn't read the OP. But no. Never contact them. They're an ex for a reason.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
Delete phone number. Catch yourself on. Stop messing with his feelings.

How am I messing with his feelings?
Reply 4
Im friends with a number of Exs, we regularly chat and occasionally meet up. I don't see why you cant be friends with your Exs, especially if you were friends for alot longer than you were gf/bf.
Reply 5
Original post by PusE
They're an ex for a reason.

Like lack of physical attraction? Or long distance? Or differing views on having children?

Or really any number of reasons why people split up but wouldnt/shouldnt stop them being friends.
If either of you still has feelings though you really have to cut contact. It's just prolonging the pain
(edited 8 years ago)
Ever a good idea? Well, if you text them to say you've just seen their dad in the city centre and he was having a heart attack, then this is probably a good move (as long as you didn't make it up).

In general ... it's a good idea if you can make it work. It all depends.
Original post by PusE
Didn't read the OP. But no. Never contact them. They're an ex for a reason.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I understand that. I guess a part of me hopes we can be friends at least.
Original post by Reue
Im friends with a number of Exs, we regularly chat and occasionally meet up. I don't see why you cant be friends with your Exs, especially if you were friends for alot longer than you were gf/bf.

We were never friends before we dated. Its just so hard for me to get over being around him for almost a year and then all of a sudden he's gone. I hope we can stay friends at least. Although I know I'm still not fully over it yet.
I'm friends with most of my exes.
Original post by Serentonin
I think once feelings have gone etc you can be friends with an ex. My ex and I regained contact after nearly 2 years and now we're pretty good friends, because there's zero feelings on either side. If either of you still has feelings though you really need to cut the contact.

Thanks. I'm not really sure how he feels to be honest. I have been struggling to let out my emotions and up until last week I hadn't cried. If I find it to hard then I guess i know what I have to do
Original post by callum_law
Ever a good idea? Well, if you text them to say you've just seen their dad in the city centre and he was having a heart attack, then this is probably a good move (as long as you didn't make it up).

In general ... it's a good idea if you can make it work. It all depends.

Lol. We broke up because he thought we were on two different pages. He wanted a serious relationship (I did too) however I kept taking a step back everytime things were moving forward. He just got fed up and I guess he didn't want to waste any more time.

He texted me today though to say he hopes Im having a good holiday. So I guess that is a good sign he wants to stay in touch.
Update: he texted me out the blue to say he hopes I'm enjoying my holiday.
Original post by phunky_fresh
We were never friends before we dated. Its just so hard for me to get over being around him for almost a year and then all of a sudden he's gone. I hope we can stay friends at least. Although I know I'm still not fully over it yet.

This is where it gets messy. I'm currently talking to an ex and I think both of us are confused and scared about where it's going.

Nothing wrong with being on good terms and staying in contact though (imo). Just be careful :tongue:
Reply 15
Update: he texted me out the blue to say he hopes I'm enjoying my holiday.

seems like you still like him, and as you mentioned earlier youre not fully over it.

OP youre not going to want to hear this, but unless you plan on patching things up (seems possible), its best to stop talking and move on.
Original post by Anonymous
This is where it gets messy. I'm currently talking to an ex and I think both of us are confused and scared about where it's going.

Nothing wrong with being on good terms and staying in contact though (imo). Just be careful :tongue:

Thanks :smile: Out of curiosity who contacted who first? Have you seen your ex since you broke up?
If Drake has taught me anything, it's always a good idea.
Ignore everyone OP, make sure your ex feels good, take care of her beef. If too many man try it with her wrap them G
Original post by eemooz
seems like you still like him, and as you mentioned earlier youre not fully over it.

OP youre not going to want to hear this, but unless you plan on patching things up (seems possible), its best to stop talking and move on.

I'm going to stop fronting and say I didn't text him because I want to be friends with him. I texted him because I miss him alot, I wanted to see how he was doing etc..I'd love to patch things up and I don't feel like its a crazy idea. I'm not going to get my hopes up at this point mind you.
Thanks :smile: Out of curiosity who contacted who first? Have you seen your ex since you broke up?

It was a strange break up with no communication, so he contacted me after months of no contact and we've spoken on and off since. But no, we haven't seen eachother in over a year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending