Reply 20
Original post by iMacJack
Sorry yes I have multiplied incorrectly. Would it be sqrt 72 and -sqrt 72

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's right.
Reply 21
Original post by notnek
That's right.

What would be the next step, finding the gradient with dy/dx or what? Sorry, I'm struggling with this topic currently so I apologise for me being quite simple. Lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
What would be the next step, finding the gradient with dy/dx or what? Sorry, I'm struggling with this topic currently so I apologise for me being quite simple. Lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't need to apologise.

You have two points on the same vertical line. You have the distances of both points from the x-axis (the y-coordinates) so what is the distance between the points?

Again, a diagram will help here. You have that the y-coordinate of p is sqrt(72) so label the length between P and the x-axis as sqrt(72). Do the same for Q.
Reply 23
Original post by notnek
You don't need to apologise.

You have two points on the same vertical line. You have the distances of both points from the x-axis (the y-coordinates) so what is the distance between the points?

Again, a diagram will help here. You have that the y-coordinate of p is sqrt(72) so label the length between P and the x-axis as sqrt(72). Do the same for Q.

But how does knowing the distance between P and the x axis help me answer part e? I'm really failing to understand this question. :s-smilie::

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
But how does knowing the distance between P and the x axis help me answer part e? I'm really failing to understand this question. :s-smilie::

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you know the distance of P from the x-axis and you know the distance of Q from the x-axis then you basically have the distance PQ.

Mark the two lengths on your diagram. If you've done this then I'd find it hard to believe that you can't see what the length PQ is.
Reply 25
So would the length of PQ just be 2sqrt72

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Original post by notnek
If you know the distance of P from the x-axis and you know the distance of Q from the x-axis then you basically have the distance PQ.

Mark the two lengths on your diagram. If you've done this then I'd find it hard to believe that you can't see what the length PQ is.

So would the length be 2Root72??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
So would the length be 2Root72??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes. You can simplify that to get the final answer.

I recommend that you go through this question again and think about why you got stuck and how different thinking can help you with future questions.

A lot of these questions seem hard at first but they're quite similar.
Reply 28
Original post by notnek
Yes. You can simplify that to get the final answer.

I recommend that you go through this question again and think about why you got stuck and how different thinking can help you with future questions.

A lot of these questions seem hard at first but they're quite similar.

So the simplified answer would be 6root8 or?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 29
So the simplified answer would be root288?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No it was simplified more before. You need to make the surd as small as possible to simplify the term.

Use GCSE/C1 methods to simplify sqrt(72).
Reply 30
So the simplified answer would be 6root8 or?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nearly. Keep simplifying :smile:
Reply 31
Original post by notnek
No it was simplified more before. You need to make the surd as small as possible to simplify the term.

Use GCSE/C1 methods to simplify sqrt(72).

Sqrt 72 is 6 root 2 so would it be 12 root 2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Sqrt 72 is 6 root 2 so would it be 12 root 2

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's correct.
Reply 33
Original post by notnek
That's correct.

Brilliant thanks, so the distance between them is 12 root 2, and to clarify would I always need to simplify the distance as far as possible but only if it mentions specific words in the question?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Brilliant thanks, so the distance between them is 12 root 2, and to clarify would I always need to simplify the distance as far as possible but only if it mentions specific words in the question?

Posted from TSR Mobile

At FP level you should really be simplifying all your answers, if asked or not.

It's possible you wouldn't lose marks in an exam if the question doesn't tell you to simplify but you may as well just simplify.
Reply 35
Original post by notnek
At FP level you should really be simplifying all your answers, if asked or not.

It's possible you wouldn't lose marks in an exam if the question doesn't tell you to simplify but you may as well just simplify.

Alright thank you for all your help. For f, would I use pythagoras theorem and then 1/2b*h?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Alright thank you for all your help. For f, would I use pythagoras theorem and then 1/2b*h?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, that should work.

Quick Reply

Latest