The Student Room Group

AS and Predicted Grades

Hi,

I had a lot of issues last year which I don't really want to discuss on here but they forced me to want to leave my college Easter of AS year (which I did) in a complete and utter state. I took my AS's but underperformed massively- I don't want to go into detail but I was just in an awful place- my new college understands this and it's being worked into my reference to explain the grades.

I was predicted four A's at AS but instead achieved E, C, D and B in Philosophy, Geography, English and Politics respectively.

I achieved close to full marks in all my Philosophy and Geography work all year round and consistent high marks in Politics too, the three subjects I am taking this year alongside EPQ, so based on a reference from my old college and all work, etc. I'm being predicted A*AA and A* in EPQ this year (A* in Geog- possibly in Philosophy too, I find out later this week about that) and I'm sure will definitely achieve them this time round with resits.

I achieved all A*'s and A's at GCSE, have rowed to an exceptionally high level- including racing at Henley Women's Regatta, competed in Young Enterprise, Model United Nations and participated in Debating Society. I have also complete Silver DofE and mentioned all of this in my personal statement, which, not to sound arrogant at all, I have been told is exceptionally good, however I have obviously spent ridiculous hours on that to do all I can to make up for these awful AS grades.

I have done work experience at a leading law firm in London, my MP's local office and also his office in the House of Commons.

I am yet to take the LNAT but based on what I have done so far, should perform well in that too.

I really have done everything possible to prepare for university over the years and boost my chances at this stage, but due to such messy, unforeseen and awful circumstances, have really let myself down at AS.

Although it won't impact my overall results, I know that now I am in a state school, I must disclose them to universities, which obviously will create issues.

I am applying to study Law at:
Durham (A*AA)
Nottingham ''
Exeter (AAA-AAB)
Sheffield ''
Liverpool (ABB)

I know I won't get offers from all of them, for sure, even if I wasn't in this situation! However, what chance do you think I stand of getting any? What can I do to boost them as much as possible?

I've been so focussed on getting to this degree for so many years and I just don't want a situation that really was out of my control, that has so badly affected my results, to deprive me of what I've worked so hard for :') I know the alternative may just be to re-apply once I get my results and go the following year, however, would definitely rather not take that gap year.
Any comments are appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by person3867
I know the alternative may just be to re-apply once I get my results and go the following year, however, would definitely rather not take that gap year.

I'm afraid I doubt any of your intended unis would be able to make you an offer with your AS grades as they are. Sorry about that...

And are you sure you can get from those grades up to A*AA level at A2? It seems a big jump...

Have you considered retaking your AS year...? That would give you a chance to regather yourself and do well, and then apply with confidence at the end.
Reply 2
Original post by jneill
I'm afraid I doubt any of your intended unis would be able to make you an offer with your AS grades as they are. Sorry about that...

And are you sure you can get from those grades up to A*AA level at A2? It seems a big jump...

Have you considered retaking your AS year...? That would give you a chance to regather yourself and do well, and then apply with confidence at the end.

Definitely sure and am in fact aiming for all A*'s. It's not a big jump for me personally, since I should have achieved those grades to begin with! All should be fine grades-wise, just not really fussed for a year out.
Reply 3
Definitely sure and am in fact aiming for all A*'s. It's not a big jump for me personally, since I should have achieved those grades to begin with! All should be fine grades-wise, just not really fussed for a year out.

You simply can't go from E or D at AS to A at A2, even if you get full marks (100% UMS) in all your A2 modules, unless you retake some/all AS modules too.
Reply 4
I know yeah, I specified that in the original post. Am resitting every exam except for Politics 2 which is enough for A*'s in every subject.
Reply 5
I know yeah, I specified that in the original post. Am resitting every exam except for Politics 2 which is enough for A*'s in every subject.

Ok, I missed that you are resisting. But resitting (almost) everything, plus doing A2 is a VERY large workload. Please be very careful that this is something you want to put yourself through...

And the unis you are applying to will also be concerned.
Reply 6
I understand however it's being very well prepared and accommodated for with both my past sixth form and current college agreeing that I'll definitely be able to manage it and still succeed. With my previous sixth form being private, most people re-sat everything, or most subjects, every year anyway since grades do not have to be declared. I was, therefore, always expecting to resit them since I started the course, unless I'd got 90+ UMS, but obviously then everything went wrong so am definitely resitting the majority!

I do understand they will be concerned however it will be clearly pointed out how able I am in the reference- it will all be explained in great detail so I don't think it's their concern that will be the issue, nor convincing them I will get at least A*AA A*, but instead, the fact I did get EDCB.

I had no idea state schools had to declare grades until about two weeks ago so it wouldn't have even been an issue at my old sixth form, which is rather annoying.

I appreciate what you're saying as well, I understand where you are coming from
I understand however it's being very well prepared and accommodated for with both my past sixth form and current college agreeing that I'll definitely be able to manage it and still succeed. With my previous sixth form being private, most people re-sat everything, or most subjects, every year anyway since grades do not have to be declared. I was, therefore, always expecting to resit them since I started the course, unless I'd got 90+ UMS, but obviously then everything went wrong so am definitely resitting the majority!

I do understand they will be concerned however it will be clearly pointed out how able I am in the reference- it will all be explained in great detail so I don't think it's their concern that will be the issue, nor convincing them I will get at least A*AA A*, but instead, the fact I did get EDCB.

I had no idea state schools had to declare grades until about two weeks ago so it wouldn't have even been an issue at my old sixth form, which is rather annoying.

I appreciate what you're saying as well, I understand where you are coming from

You will not receive offers from most of these universities sorry.
I'd assume going from an E to an A would be seen as something of a miracle by most Universities. I'd say it shows just how hard you can work.
Reply 9
Well good luck then :smile:

Maybe you should email a couple of your targets for their views before making your formal application. They are pleased to help prospective applicants.
Just concentrate on the grades, forget UCAS, reapply next year with awesome grades and do something productive in your gap year to aid your application.
you might not get offers this year due to you AS grades - however once you have done your exams you can take a year and reapply next year having already secured you grades, you may get offers but plan for if you dont!! good luck!
Reply 12
Thank you, I appreciate that :smile:

And really? This is something I've been wondering about doing! What would you recommend because I have actually considered it but have had no idea how to go about doing it!
Reply 13
Yeah I completely understand and am definitely already planning for it! It's not the end of the world if not for a year- just not my preferred option I suppose, haha. I guess that's life- thank you!
Reply 14
Original post by jneill
Well good luck then :smile:

Maybe you should email a couple of your targets for their views before making your formal application. They are pleased to help prospective applicants.

Thank you, I appreciate that

And really? This is something I've been wondering about doing! What would you recommend because I have actually considered it but have had no idea how to go about doing it!
Reply 15
Original post by citydeer
you might not get offers this year due to you AS grades - however once you have done your exams you can take a year and reapply next year having already secured you grades, you may get offers but plan for if you dont!! good luck!

Yeah I completely understand and am definitely already planning for it! It's not the end of the world if not for a year- just not my preferred option I suppose, haha. I guess that's life- thank you!

Hi,

I had a lot of issues last year which I don't really want to discuss on here but they forced me to want to leave my college Easter of AS year (which I did) in a complete and utter state. I took my AS's but underperformed massively- I don't want to go into detail but I was just in an awful place- my new college understands this and it's being worked into my reference to explain the grades.

I was predicted four A's at AS but instead achieved E, C, D and B in Philosophy, Geography, English and Politics respectively.

I achieved close to full marks in all my Philosophy and Geography work all year round and consistent high marks in Politics too, the three subjects I am taking this year alongside EPQ, so based on a reference from my old college and all work, etc. I'm being predicted A*AA and A* in EPQ this year (A* in Geog- possibly in Philosophy too, I find out later this week about that) and I'm sure will definitely achieve them this time round with resits.

I achieved all A*'s and A's at GCSE, have rowed to an exceptionally high level- including racing at Henley Women's Regatta, competed in Young Enterprise, Model United Nations and participated in Debating Society. I have also complete Silver DofE and mentioned all of this in my personal statement, which, not to sound arrogant at all, I have been told is exceptionally good, however I have obviously spent ridiculous hours on that to do all I can to make up for these awful AS grades.

I have done work experience at a leading law firm in London, my MP's local office and also his office in the House of Commons.

I am yet to take the LNAT but based on what I have done so far, should perform well in that too.

I really have done everything possible to prepare for university over the years and boost my chances at this stage, but due to such messy, unforeseen and awful circumstances, have really let myself down at AS.

Although it won't impact my overall results, I know that now I am in a state school, I must disclose them to universities, which obviously will create issues.

Durham (A*AA)
Nottingham ''
Exeter (AAA-AAB)
Sheffield ''
Liverpool (ABB)

I know I won't get offers from all of them, for sure, even if I wasn't in this situation! However, what chance do you think I stand of getting any? What can I do to boost them as much as possible?

I've been so focussed on getting to this degree for so many years and I just don't want a situation that really was out of my control, that has so badly affected my results, to deprive me of what I've worked so hard for :') I know the alternative may just be to re-apply once I get my results and go the following year, however, would definitely rather not take that gap year.

This is basically me right now.

Got BCD in my Scottish AHs (B was 2 marks from an A) and I'm taking on the - so I've been told - gargantuan load of doing 3 A-levels (Maths, Further Maths and Economics) in a year this year. Mostly self-taught with some tutor input, albeit I already know the majority of the Maths modules so it isn't too bad.

I'm fairly certain I will be able to achieve an A* in Maths and As in the other two but convincing my unis that I would is another thing. What makes things even worse is that my old school can't provide predicted grades, which the unis would want to see.

Basically, you and I may not end up with any offers or we might get 1 or 2 'aspirational offers' as a university admissions tutor said to me. So, apply, but don't expect much and re-apply when you have the grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Thank you, I appreciate that

Just email them explaining your situation and your plan and ask them if they are likely to make an offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

Durham (A*AA)
Nottingham ''
Exeter (AAA-AAB)
Sheffield ''
Liverpool (ABB)

I've been so focussed on getting to this degree for so many years and I just don't want a situation that really was out of my control, that has so badly affected my results, to deprive me of what I've worked so hard for :':wink: I know the alternative may just be to re-apply once I get my results and go the following year, however, would definitely rather not take that gap year.

You're unlucky to receive offers from those unis with your AS grades, but that doesn't mean you cannot achieve the grades you want. If your course is really popular, you'd be better off taking a year out and reapplying. If not, you should apply to unis asking for lower entry requirements, exceed your offers and go through adjustment with the unis you've listed. IMO, a year out is suitable for you or perhaps to retake the year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending