The Student Room Group

whose got the greatest history in Europe?

hey guys..what do you think? as your opinion what nation in Europe has the greatest history? Britain,France,Germany,Spain?

Scroll to see replies

Britain or Russia.
Original post by 0723206004
hey guys..what do you think? as your opinion what nation in Europe has the greatest history? Britain,France,Germany,Spain?

They all have fascinating history's......Belgium doesn't though.
All countries have an interesting history which all played an important role in the development of the world as we know it today! You can't say one is more important than the other! :u:
Original post by SurreyJake
All countries have an interesting history which all played an important role in the development of the world as we know it today! You can't say one is more important than the other! :u:

Ofc you can.
Reply 5
How do you define 'greatest' here? 'Greatest' as in most transformational, most consistently militarily successful, most consistently wealthy, most consistently influential politically, or most personally interesting, even?
My personal favourite at the moment is France, however I would really like to undertake further study of European history, which could completely change this.
What's your opinion?
Original post by The Dictator
Ofc you can.

No you can't!
Reply 7
spain and turkey
Germany I'd say. It's changed so much...
Reply 9

What a bleeding heart lib answer. Im tempted to say grow up, the world isn't all rainbows and unicorns, all cultures and nations are not equal. Nature is not equal, neither is it fair.
Original post by ales79
What a bleeding heart lib answer. Im tempted to say grow up, the world isn't all rainbows and unicorns, all cultures and nations are not equal. Nature is not equal, neither is it fair.

That's your opinion and I respect it. But I disagree!
You're all just being opinionated about which countries are better.
England, France and Russia.
Thread title's gonna be a magnet for scousers.
Reply 14
That's your opinion and I respect it. But I disagree!

Sorry if I came over dickish, however - it isn't opinion but fact. People try too hard to equalize everything. Is a lion equal to a sheep? No a lion is superior, its higher on the food chain, of course you can take the oh they have different purposes and uses strawman but that's a weak argument. Fairness isn't natural, nature is natural.

Scientifically? Undoubtedly it is a Anglo-Germanic world and has been for the past 400 years.

Militarily? We've witness a few hundred years of Anglo dominance which is now coming to a quick end.

Culturally? Its an Anglocentric world, sure Russians have done well in integrating a large part of central asia and balkans into its cultural/ethno linguistic sphere of influence, sure China has a billion people, but the tongue that bridges gaps over distances is English. The culture that is strong enough to do what weapons cant and overthrow governments and dynasties is that Anglo-American Hollywood culture.

You wanna go back 3000 years? Its a Greco-Persian world mostly, today its an Anglo world and anyone that claims any European nation comes even close to what this tiny Island has achieved needs their head checked.
Original post by ales79
Sorry if I came over dickish, however - it isn't opinion but fact. People try too hard to equalize everything. Is a lion equal to a sheep? No a lion is superior, its higher on the food chain, of course you can take the oh they have different purposes and uses strawman but that's a weak argument. Fairness isn't natural, nature is natural.

Scientifically? Undoubtedly it is a Anglo-Germanic world and has been for the past 400 years.

Militarily? We've witness a few hundred years of Anglo dominance which is now coming to a quick end.

Culturally? Its an Anglocentric world, sure Russians have done well in integrating a large part of central asia and balkans into its cultural/ethno linguistic sphere of influence, sure China has a billion people, but the tongue that bridges gaps over distances is English. The culture that is strong enough to do what weapons cant and overthrow governments and dynasties is that Anglo-American Hollywood culture.

You wanna go back 3000 years? Its a Greco-Persian world mostly, today its an Anglo world and anyone that claims any European nation comes even close to what this tiny Island has achieved needs their head checked.

Why is the big history more 'great' than the small history? Maybe Cypriots don't care about the Germans.
Reply 16
Why is the big history more 'great' than the small history? Maybe Cypriots don't care about the Germans.

Because it is those big global empires that have shaped the world we live in and decide the faith of mankind.. The rest of the nations are simply the toys of the larger nations. Cyprus is a small island state which falls within the sphere of influence of larger nations and the same goes for nearly every country on this planet. There are only a handful of nations, maybe 10-13 (tops) and everything else falls under their sphere of influence.

Whether you or they care is irrelevant. Can you avoid seeing the anglo influence when you go abroad? Can you avoid seeing that the global lingua franca, the go to language when you cannot communicate with someone in their mother tongue is English? It is in there you find the answer.
(edited 8 years ago)
Britain or Italy? Greece? Come on.. the Romans! the greek city states! (sparta, athens, thebes, macedon etc)

I'd say if this was ancient history, it would be Greece or Italy...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ales79
Because it is those big global empires that have shaped the world we live in and decide the faith of mankind.. The rest of the nations are simply the toys of the larger nations. Cyprus is a small island state which falls within the sphere of influence of larger nations and the same goes for nearly every country on this planet. There are only a handful of nations, maybe 10-13 (tops) and everything else falls under their sphere of influence.

Whether you or they care is irrelevant. Can you avoid seeing the anglo influence when you go abroad? Can you avoid seeing that the global lingua franca, the go to language when you cannot communicate with someone in their mother tongue is English? It is in there you find the answer.

That doesn't make their history greater it just makes it bigger. Why can't a single building decide that Macedonia has the greatest history in Europe?
Reply 19
Original post by Bustamove
Britain or Italy? Greece? Come on.. the Romans! the greek city states! (sparta, athens, thebes, macedon etc)

I'd say if this was ancient history, it would be Greece or Italy...

Greek influence and control is highly overstated and its mainly done by Europeans to compensate for the lack of European presence on the global stage for most of modern history. 'Greece' at its peak was a cultural, economic and military subject state to Persia.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending